2017 Nike International Friendlies

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Nov 9, 2017.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I haven't found official confirmation yet, but it looks like the tournament is indeed happening.

ChuckMe92, ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Assuming (or, I suppose, guessing) that the event will be paired with the DA's Winter Showcase again, here's some background:

Winter Showcase: Boys' (U-16/17, U-18/19) November 30-Dec 4
    Premier Sports Campus; 5895 Post Blvd, Lakewood Ranch, FL 34211

http://www.ussoccerda.com/2017-2018-da-event-schedule

Location matches the one in the Chargers tweet.

Starman*, TheFalseNine and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    So which players do we think we'll see at Nike Friendlies who were part of U17 WC cycle? Vassilev for sure, and I'd imagine Uly as well?

4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 ChuckMe92, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    I think it's supposed to be just '02s and later, as part of the new 2019 U17 cycle. For the 2015 edition, every US player was an '00, and for 2013, most US players were '98s with the lone exception of '99 Edwin Lara. I presume Llanez and Vassilev, as '01s, will be with the U18 program.

Edit: assuming they're open to calling in names later than '02, like they did with Lara in 2013, I wouldn't mind seeing a Lateef Omidiji. The '02 group is pretty good, but could use some more spark on offense. Wouldn't be surprising if they just go all '02s though.

5. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    Gotcha... Good thought. Excited to see this group together. I think Gio can really grow into a proper star this cycle. Would like to see some of those foreign guys like Omdiji, Josh Pynadath, Tillman, etc... What about guys like Xuxuh, Justin Butler, Jalen Hawkins who are '01s? Will they jump to the U18 cycle even though they missed out on the U17s almost entirely?

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The odd year players usually go to the U-18's, and if they are really good, they have a chance at the U-20's. If not, they play for the U-18's for one cycle, and then the next cycle are trying to make the U-20 team.

Moses Nyeman is better than any of the 02's, IMO, but he's injured. Would be really interesting to watch him play against these players. Once he's healthy again, lets see how quickly he gets integrated into this side. Dante Sealy, Martin Killeen, Tyler Freeman, Sam Sarver, Jacob Greene, Reece Fragle, Ricardo Pepi, Sebastian Burke, Lateef Omidiji, Sota Kitahara, Daniel Levya are some other 03's that I think have some hype.

As for the players I'd like to see get a call up to this tournament, here are some names.

Keepers: Damian Las, JT Harms, Seth Wilson
    Defenders: Joe Scally, George Bello, Axel Alejandre, Kenny Nielsen, Mason Judge, Noah Atanda
    Midfielders: Josh Atencio, Gilbert Fuentes, Adam Saldana, Diego Letayf (if eligible, USSDA website says MEX nationality)
    Attackers: Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez, Gio Reyna, Gianluca Busio, Julian Gaines, Balthazar Saunders, Masango Akale, Josh Pynadath, Marco Ceja, Beni Redzic, Andres Jasson

Alternates: Victor Cano, Kashope Oladapo (keeper), Ravyon McGann, Diego Lopez

Patrick167, Anderson11 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Less than two weeks till the start of this. Where is the roster?

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Why do we need one today exactly?

(I ask that knowing full well that some YNT roster are released after the events begin, if at all...)

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I was wondering the same thing, went back and looked when the 2015 and 2016 rosters were released.

Two days before the game. I'd expect it on the 27th, if this follows suit.

11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I guess we don't...but someone needs to tell the players.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  12. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    They've been told already.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    When you're right, you're right.

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

15. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Yeah, which is why I don't understand the secrecy. My comment was, mostly, in jest.

16. Starman*

Starman* Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2017
    #16 Starman*, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    GOALKEEPERS (4): Khamari Culcleasure (D.C. United; Alexandria, Va.), John Tyler Harms (Shattuck- Saint Mary’s; Whitefish Bay, Wisc.), Damian Las (Chicago Fire; Norridge, Ill.), Kashope Oladapo (Portland Timbers; Happy Valley, Ore.)

DEFENDERS (7): Axel Alejandre (FC United Soccer Club; Chicago, Ill.), Sebastian Anderson (Colorado Rapids; Highlands Ranch, Co.), George Bello (Atlanta United FC; Douglasville, Ga.), Mitchell Eise (Sporting Kansas City; Springfield, Mo.), Mason Judge (Chargers Soccer Club; Tampa, Fla.), Kenneth Nielsen (Pateadores; Irvine, Calif.), Joseph Scally (New York City FC; Lake Grove, N.Y.)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Joshua Atencio (Seattle Sounders FC; Bellevue, Wash.), Adam Saldana (Real So Cal; Panorama City, Calif.), Gilbert Fuentes Perez (San Jose Earthquakes; Tracy, Calif.), Maximillian Goeggel (VFB Stuttgart; San Francisco, Calif.), Peter Stroud (New York Red Bulls; Chester, NJ)

FORWARDS (8): Gianluca Busio (Sporting Kansas City; Greenboro, NC), Julian Gaines (Lonestar Soccer Club; Austin, Tex.), Cade Hagan (Sockers FC; Naperville, Ill.), Diego Lopez (FC Golden State; Chino, Calif.), Daniel Mangarov (Atlanta United FC; Duluth, Ga.), Alfonso Ocampo Chavez (Seattle Sounders FC; Fresno, Calif.), Dante Sealy (FC Dallas; Frisco, Tex.), Ray Serrano (Seattle Sounders FC; Graham, Wash.)

ielag repped this.
  17. Starman*

Starman* Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2017
    Giovanni Reyna must be injured, right?

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I mentioned this the other day. ;)

Starman* and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not sure Sealy's ready for this level, but better than some of the other options. I think this attack is going to really struggle. Without Reyna, there's nearly no creativity in this team. The defense should be very good. As I've mentioned before, right now this cycle's strength seems to be on the defensive side of the ball. The lack of Beni Redzic continues to make no sense to me. Why is Sealy getting call ups but Redzic isn't?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Cade Hagan sighting. Was with the Galaxy a couple years ago. Then moved back to Chicago where he had originally joined the Fire, then went to Sockers and wasn't really called into any U15 camps IIRC.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  21. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Will be interesting to watch to see who has the technical skill to play next level, the rest will be kind of hard to judge because I'm sure there will be late bloomers athletically and tactically.

Starman* repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Culcleasure isn't actually at DC United, he's playing at Northfield Mount Hermon, which is a prep school in Massachusetts.

http://www.nesoccerjournal.com/neso...cle.action?articleId=1153788#articleId1153788

Here's my preferred lineup

Las
    Scally-Nielsen-Judge-Bello
    Atencio-Alejandre
    Fuentes
    Busio-Ocampo Chavez-Sealy

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    Also, Josh Pynadath? He's year eligible. Is it possible he just did not get released by Ajax?

24. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Khamari Culcleasure is possibly the greatest name ever.