2017 NBA Off-season Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by os_mutante, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I can't speak to Kareem as he was before my time, but LeBron is the best I ever saw over Kobe, Duncan, or Shaq.

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    So far your arguments are "that's garbage" and "lmao". I've seen them both play - please make the case for "eons above". And include the reason why he was swept by Luke Walton when his team had the best record in the NBA.

3. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to remove athleticism from the GOAT argument because then I would try to argue that Steph is the greatest offensive player ever. Can't do it though.

I reaaaaally hope Miami gets Irving. Cleveland @ Miami games, Wizards vs Heat vs Celtics point guard matchups, all interesting regular season and potential postseason games.

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Look at hakeems longevity at the top he won with the bucks. Had skilled mov s and didn't rely on his athleticism and strength as he played with elegance and skill vs top cs in the games history

Look at his titles and impact

Duncan is also above lebron imo

Colluding really hurt lebron legqcy imo and he needed a Cavs super team vs warriors

I feel like a younger Spurs could of beaten them myself

5. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Because other stars definitely could've beat the Warriors by themselves. :rolleyes: That's an absurd argument.

6. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Longevity matters but it's just one factor and for half his career he was on the Lakers which was Magic's team and he was often just a passenger. Robert Parish and Garnett played more seasons.

I love Duncan but I don't think he's better than Lebron. Heck, if Shaq had stayed fit and focused, I'd say he's better than Duncan but for me, he's hurt by his lack of consistency. But to be honest, I'd probably take Duncan over Kareem. Kareem was obviously a great player, but I also think he wasn't the kind of guy who worked hard on team chemistry and making everyone better as a team the way other greats have. His success has come with alpha dog guys like Magic and Oscar.

7. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now THAT would be impressive.

dark knight repped this.
  8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top 5 of all time is reserved for MVP caliber players that, through their leadership or individual dynamism, willed their teams to multiple finals and were able to REPEAT as champions.

Sorry, Timmy.

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So 5 chips don't mean anything because they didn't repeat? Delusion in here is insane

10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It means he's the best power forward of all time! But not top 5 overall. Everyone else we're talking about has multiple rings, repeats, and, let's not forget, better numbers and performance than TD.

He's a great centerpiece of a great franchise, but he's not the individual player that these other guys are. No repeat is a major ding on every Spur's resume. For them to be that good, that well put together, and shit the bed every other year is a mark against them. They didn't even get to back-to-back finals until 2014...

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So if he had melted off and formed a super team he would be ok? He won a chip as arguably the best player on his team as a rookie

12. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny that if Ray Allen doesn't hit the most clutch of clutch shots there would be a huge difference in how some see the careers of Tim Duncan, Lebron James, etc...

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean "ok"... argue the point -- he's not as good an individual basketball player as LeBron James. James has more MVPs, James has better numbers, James has repeated, James has 7 straight finals as the leader and best player on his team.

14. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Yeah - I personally don't think the repeat thing rules him out. Barring a Fisher miracle, a Ginobili brainfart and a Ray Allen clutch shot (combined with Ginobili and KL missing free throws, Pop not putting Duncan back in for some odd reason to rebound, and an extremely rare comeback), we might be talking about 3 more titles. But otherwise agree with the conclusion - he's not better than some of those others.

15. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I know we like to call the Heat a super team, but to be fair, Wade was a shell of his former self and sort of a weird mix with LBJ, Bosh was a midrange shooting big man who was probably a good mix with LBJ, and a bunch of bargain basement role players. Is that a super team? LBJ takes blame for losing to the Mavericks and Spurs, but it's not like the rest of the guys were playing great is it? Current GSW team seems much more like a super team to me.

onefineesq and MatthausSammer repped this.
  16. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If this Cleveland team or the Heat are considered super teams there's no way that Duncan didn't play on multiple super teams coached by the best coach in the game over the course of his career.

17. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Not sure I agree with that - Duncan did have a second star in Robinson, although he was at the end of his career, but super teams? Aside from Robinson at the end of his career and I guess Kawhi at the start - did he really have a true superstar alongside him?

18. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Parker and Manu is a backcourt light years ahead of any backcourt LeBron's ever had supporting him, and Duncan had that duo for a lot of his career. Duncan also had Kawhi for a bit when he was coming into his own, and he's probably a much better two-way player than anyone LeBron's ever played with. Spurs have always drafted well, and found low-level FAs that Popovich often coached into good role players, so Duncan has rarely wanted for good role players or depth on the Spurs, unlike James" Heat and to a lesser extent his second Cavs teams. If we look at supporting casts and situations, Duncan has had the luxury of on average much more help that is much better-coached than LeBron James over the course of both their careers. So if we're going to call all James' team post-Decision "super-teams", then Duncan must've had a number of "super-teams" himself over the course of his career too.

19. jabraria@hotmail.com

Feb 24, 2000
    USA
    I Personally do not think Lebron even played for a superteam, because my definition for superteam forever been "take one superstar out of that team, and see if they can still contend + win".
    GSW fits that bill, if you take Curry or Durant out they are capable of winning anywhere.I dont think any of Lebron teams fit that bill if you take him out of it.The records testify that when he is on & off those teams.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  20. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    LeBron led Drew Gooden and Delonte West to separate finals as his second best players.. That's crazy.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Look who ai took to the finals in 01

22. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Bron did it like three times... Next.

23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I personally wouldn't call that Cav team a super team, especially since Love just turned out to be a paper superstar. I also don't think I rate Kyrie as much as he does. To be a super team, I think you probably need at least 3 All Star (can make the Olympic team) players and who would be the number 1 star on a different team. I don't think any of Duncan's teams were super teams.

24. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was an amazing season and he was awarded the MVP for it... he's also a 40% career shooter. Love AI, just saying he's nowhere near this discussion.

25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Isn't that like Kobe's % :)