2017 NASL Attendance thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by msilverstein47, Jan 9, 2017.

1. CFLRowdiesFan

CFLRowdiesFan Member

Sep 22, 2016
    3472 in Jacksonville according to nasl.com.

No huge surprise given that it was a Sunday afternoon and the kickoff temperature was in the mid 80s for a team that didn't know where it was going to play six weeks ago.

The good news? The Armada won and played a nice brand of soccer which hopefully can bring out a few more fans.

brentgoulet repped this.
  2. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Code:
    Team                          Season Average(2016)          Weekly Total
    Indy Eleven                   9064(8421)                    9064
    New York Cosmos               6274(3775)                    6274
    Carolina Railhawks            6058(5114)                    N/A
    Puerto Rico FC                5692(3801)                    N/A
    San Francisco Deltas          4133                          N/A
    Jacksonville Armada           3472(3499)                    3472

Season Average (Mean-Median)  Week Average
    NASL 2017                     5782-6058                     6270
    NASL 2016                     4713-4412
    Difference                    1069 1646

NASL Spring2017               5782
    NASL Spring2016               5071
    Difference                    711

League Total 2017             34693(6 games)
    League Total 2016             862532(183 games)

GunnerJacket repped this.
  3. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #28 Darkwing McQuack, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    3,933 in Puerto Rico
    9,515 in Miami
    3,269 in Edmonton
    1,739 in San Fran

Overall a terrible week for the league. :thumbsdown:

4. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Code:
    Team                          Season Average(2016)          Weekly Total
    Miami FC                      9515(5426)                    9515
    Indy Eleven                   9064(8421)                    N/A
    New York Cosmos               6274(3775)                    N/A
    Carolina Railhawks            6058(5114)                    N/A
    Puerto Rico FC                4812(3801)                    3933
    Jacksonville Armada           3472(3499)                    N/A
    FC Edmonton                   3269(2059)                    3269
    San Francisco Deltas          2936                          1739

Season Average (Mean-Median)  Week Average
    NASL 2017                     5314-5692                     4614
    NASL 2016                     4713-4412
    Difference                    601 1280

NASL Spring2017               5314
    NASL Spring2016               5071
    Difference                    243

League Total 2017             53149(10 games)
    League Total 2016             862532(183 games)

Disappointing, but not unexpected to see the Deltas' attendance fall so quickly. Hopefully they find a way to replicate what Miami FC did last season.

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not likely. They're in an untenable situation in the city and stadium they chose to play in. Deltas need to consider relocation to another location in the East Bay or beyond if they hope to survive.

6. annapolis

annapolis Member

Jul 3, 2001
    WRT to city, everyone said the same thing about Miami then that they're saying about SF now (not a sports town, only interested in major league...). Not sure what you're referring to about the stadium. Downtown. Decent size.

The One X repped this.
  7. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami is far from a success story. When they didn't pad their numbers last year with free tickets no one showed up. I expect the same from them this year too.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's it for the Deltas, then.

Also, Saturday nights in Edmonton....so much for that idea.

athletics68 repped this.
  9. CFLRowdiesFan

CFLRowdiesFan Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Do you have any evidence at all of Miami giving away tickets? The home openers the last two years have consisted of combo deals with the South Florida Fair, so there's that, but otherwise I don't see it. If it's discounted tickets you're referring to that's not uncommon for almost any team in any league not named the NFL.

10. CFLRowdiesFan

CFLRowdiesFan Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Isn't the attendance in Edmonton the highest they've had in a couple of years?

As for the rest of the numbers, they're not much different from what I expected, with athletics68 looking more and more like a prophet with each passing week regarding San Francisco. Hopefully they can turn it around.

Only two matches next weekend, with Jacksonville and NCFC at home, likely an effect of having to draw up a schedule so late.

FootySkeptic repped this.
  11. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going by what people said that attended the first few Miami and OKC games last year.

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kezar is anything but downtown... It's also cold, old and inaccessible. It's a glorified High School stadium, nothing more. Trendy SF urbanites aren't going to go freeze their butts off to watch second rate second rate soccer when they can go to pubs and bars to watch top tier footy, or go down to AT&T Park to be trendy and "seen" in an area that caters specifically to them.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  13. CFLRowdiesFan

CFLRowdiesFan Member

Sep 22, 2016
    OK. I mentioned the inaugural game, with that combo deal. I honestly don't know about the others. I think FIU Panther Fan mentioned in a past thread some discounts to students, but not many takers. There is a promo code on the club ticket page and I found a Groupon which gets the tickets for $10. But I could do that for selected seats at Magic games too.

Bottom line, I think Sean Flynn has done a pretty good job in Miami. Most of the higher attendance numbers started after he got there. No matter what you're paying, people have to be willing to take the tickets, and there have been takers. They've certainly exceeded my expectations.

The One X repped this.
  14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barely. But home opener, it had better be.

I still think they're a joke. By this point, they've been at the bottom of everything for their entire existence, it's obvious that either the market doesn't care about them or they have no ability to connect with that market.

If they averaged 3,269 for the season, they'd still be woefully short of league average. Fath is more headstrong than savvy. It's just not happening in Edmonton and likely never will.

15. Dune

Dune Member

Feb 10, 1999
    #40 Dune, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    I have no idea if Miami gives away free tickets en masse. But their attendance surge last year was largely down to big latin heritage night promotions and concerts.
    They seam to do the same this year with every home game.
    https://www.miamifc.com/match-themes
    Would have been interesting if they would have had at least one game without promotions, just to see what their core base is.
    Ricardo Silva has money and is happy to throw them away at Miami FC, nothing wrong with that but to hail them as some sort of role model to follow for other struggling NASL teams is wrong in my opinion.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    A couple things worth noting about the Deltas in this regard:

1. They pad their attendance with a minimum of 200 free tickets to every home game.

2. Reports from the stands in the first match suggest many (even most) people there had gotten their tickets for free.

17. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I'd bet that is pretty common across all MLS, NASL, and USL teams. The exact number probably varies, 200 probably is on the high end, but sports teams do typically give out a certain number of free tickets for every game. As long as they are not giving out so many it undermines their sales free tickets is not a bad thing. They can help to grow your brand.

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    This is true, but 200 freebies out of 8000 isn't a big percentage while 200 out of 1700 is. Plus, as I noted, it's 200 minimum, and at the first game there were very clearly many more than 200. For all we know, there were more than 200 freebies last night too. (Think about that possibility!)

The Deltas have the ability to pad their numbers, and in the name of community outreach they do, but that won't pad their bottom line. If they continue to plod along at 1500 to 2000, that 200 plus is worth bearing in mind.

I also look at it this way: back in 2007 the California Victory averaged 1116 at Kezar. Maybe they gave away some tickets too, but even if they did, last night the Deltas didn't do too much better than that average. The Victory lasted one season, and their operating costs were a hell of a lot lower than those of the Deltas.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Open Cup games could fit the descriptor of a match that reveals the core base, though the midweek thing probably depresses that some.

But any club would be unlikely to forego promotions on a decent date just so someone could see what their base is.

CFLRowdiesFan repped this.
  20. Dune

Dune Member

Feb 10, 1999
    I am not talking about forgo promotions on a decent date. But to have just one or two home games when you don't have promotions would help the club itself knowing what their core support is and if their promotions is improving support. They still can have heritage or baywatch nights for the other 16 out of 18 home games. Somehow I get the feeling Silva doesn't care if the money he spends on promotions gives an increase in genuine supporters for the team, attendance numbers is all that is important.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they should deliberately not try to sell tickets for one of their limited inventory of home games to see how many people there are in this ethereal "real fans" group?

Quite frankly, that's dumb.

Teams in this country need every dollar they can get. Why they should conduct such an experiment, when the cost would be injurious to their bottom line, is beyond me.

"Genuine supporters." That slays me. They have been around for an hour and a half. Becoming relevant takes time.

22. Dune

Dune Member

Feb 10, 1999
    The whole point is that they should try to sell tickets with the aim to make a profit. There is no way Miami is doing that right now. Promotions should have the purpose of getting people who normally don't go to the games there and hope those who came for free hot dogs or a mariachi band like what they saw on the field and come back later and pay for the ticket. If every single home game is a promotion of some kind the organistation has no idea if they are getting new paying customers or just people who are there for the side show.
    With genuine supporters I mean people who come to the games regulary to watch Miami FC.

23. Oakland_Soccer

Sep 27, 2015
    Oaktown, Cali
    Club:
    San Francisco Seals
    SF scares me. Couldn't make the game last night, I was out of town. But wow, I watched on the broadcast and was a bit surprised to see that many empty seats. I figured being the 2nd game, it would be between 3,000 and 4,000...but wow, 1700? SF are an exciting team to watch IMO, they are fast pace and have many skilled players.

I will admit, I had high hopes for this team, even in a smug elite city like SF, but I had hoped for every game to be somewhere between 3,000 - 5,000.

Still early and maybe they can change their outreach strategy, but wow...I knew there'd be a decent chance SF would draw flies, but I didn't think in the 2nd game. Hopefully this summer, area dwellers will come check them out.

bobby_guzman and CFLRowdiesFan repped this.
  24. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    It all depends on if the cost of the promotions is greater than the revenue from the increased attendance. Without their accounting books in front of us it is hard to say if it is or not.

25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm just not seeing it happen ...

1. They've done some outreach. But here we are, 10 years after the CA Victory (who did basically no outreach), and the Deltas barely outdrew the Victory's average last night. In other words, their outreach doesn't appear to have gained them many ticket sales.

2. Summer won't save them. They'll be competing with peak Giants season, peak summer travel season, and they'll be impeded by peak tourist season. A lot of people in the Bay Area don't want to brave traffic to go into SF on the weekend. (And people in SF don't necessarily want to stay in The City either.)

3. And further, when the fog rolls in, that part of SF can be pretty damn miserable in the summer. It's not like SF has warm summer nights. SF has cold, damp, windy summer nights.

The Irish Rover repped this.