2017 MLS Week 30 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by bhooks, Sep 26, 2017.

1. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to be where most leagues have gone now. MLB, NHL, MLB, and the NFL all have a central command center for replays. I think it makes the most sense.

The World Cup never has more than two games being played at once. Why not use a small group of very well trained VARs from FIFA and have someone like Massimo in the room for every game?

2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He then stopped the play on a foul that he called from a long way away that the AR, from three yards away, did not see as a foul.

There were a number of other odd calls/no-calls; and he had to deal with some real shenanigans from the players, especially some heavy play-acting from Dallas keeper. Villareal had a tough day and a rough day.

4. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta say, as a fan in the stands, while Gonzalez may (or may not have gotten all the match-critical decisions right his handling of the game was a mess. Two delayed trips to VAR, multiple delays as Montreal complained to him, an odd only 4 minutes of stoppage at the end of the first, and generally a feel that things weren't well handled.

Any game with 2 red cards (1 via VAR) and a PK (overturned by VAR) is going to be weird but this was worse than I would have expected.

6. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PRO: Video reviews of potential DOGSO situations are unlikely because of the highly subjective nature of the decision.

Two weeks later: UB yellow upgraded to DGF red via video review.

7. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Toledo is simply remarkable! He just shows no hesitation. Every week red cards and they all look correct.

14 and counting on the season. Wonder if he can get to 20?

8. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The RC v Vancouver is one I have trouble with.

Don't get me wrong, I understand fully why IFAB wants things of this nature to be a sending off, but the way the SKC player reacts is too far over the top, and, I can't help but wonder just how much that influenced Toledo's movement to the back pocket.

In other news:

LAG/RSL red card for DOGSO was excellent, and shows the importance of taking that "snapshot" at the moment of the foul. When you freeze frame this incident at the moment of the foul, it's a very obvious call, but if you delay that freeze until the LAG player stops moving, it's a much less clear decision (as it APPEARS that two RSL defenders are now in place to defend the attack).

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Restart question from COL-MTL last night. Here's the clip:

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...apids-vs-montreal-impact/details/video/136873

In this one the CR called a PK, went to VAR, and waved it off. He restarts with a drop ball. This looks like a mess to me and I have to believe it was handled poorly, if not just incorrectly.

AIUI the drop-ball should be at the point where the ball was when the (now) incorrect whistle blew. Based on that clip the ball was up near the midfield line. Instead the CR decides to do the drop ball at the point where the foul that was later determined not to be a foul occurred. Then he seems to realize that by doing the drop-ball in the box, Howard was just going to block out the MTL player and fall on the ball. So he walks the ball outside the box and prepares to drop it, sending the Rapids scrambling to get back to defend it as they weren't expecting the change.

Even if I've misunderstood the rules and the correct restart is a drop-ball outside the box it seems that the CR should have done a much better job clearly explaining to both teams what was going to happen and giving them time to set up for it.

10. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a mess. You'd think with all the supposed training that went into the VAR system, they would have covered restarts like this. you are right, @JasonMa it should have been a drop ball up the field.
    Plays like this make you wonder if VAR is worth it. Yes, it saved the ref from a bad PK call. But it cost several minutes and results in a circus. I'm honestly not sure what hurts the game more, a bad PK, or this kind of stuff.

JasonMa repped this.
  11. Lucky Wilbury

Lucky Wilbury Member

Mar 19, 2012
    United States
    I disagree with the positioning logic of you and @JasonMa. Hear me out. If Gonzalez thinks it's a PK, then the ball is located at about 15 yards out because that's the point where he determined there was an infringement and that play was dead. He seems to have taken a second to run it through his head, but that doesn't affect the legalities in the LOTG of the play being dead due to an infringement called by the referees. I don't like making this argument, but it's important here if you guys are saying it should be "near the midfield line" and "up the field".

This isn't the same as an Advantage scenario, or something where there was technical misconduct off the ball. At the moment that Gonzalez determined there was a foul, the ball would have been in the penalty area.

I think this is the wrong time to pull this argument out. This PK reversal changed the outcome of this game. It gave Colorado a 2-1 win instead of a 2-2 draw. I'd argue that the extra time is worth it because this is precisely the scenario that VAR is set up to fix. The delay is awkward, but a result was positively affected. I personally think that's worth it.

jarbitro and JasonMa repped this.
  12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    More precisely, I think, where the ball was when the referee decided to stop play.

JasonMa and Lucky Wilbury repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, I thought this might be the case. Even so the confusion around drop ball in the box/walking it outside the box could have been handled much better I think

14. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Definitely--far from a training example on how to handle a DB. Howard was well within his rights to choose to compete for the DB. Hard to know if the change was b/c R didn't like the GK competing, or someone was in his ear telling him he had the wrong spot. I was also surprised to see the ball dropped from so high on a contested DB and that he didn't make sure everyone was ready given he moved the location. Of course, a contested DB that close to the goal, especially in the middle of the field, is not something refs get much experience with. (I don't recall ever seeing one in a high level game.)

And what about the PK call -- was it clear and obvious error?

Anyone think PRO is brave enough to make this POtW?

JasonMa repped this.
  15. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I watch the Gonzalez handling of the PK, restart, etc. I'm surprised again - we are STILL seeing players mob and surround the referee when there's a controversial call.

Tim Howard coming out of the goal to argue this? Here's your caution. I counted 6 players from both teams surround Jorge Gonzalez.

While it doesn't excuse the mistake, in that USL game a few weeks ago there were likewise 6-8 players surrounding the referee.

These refs can't even move, much less do anything else like God forbid think or talk to their AR's or 4O.

Sorry, this is a problem that to me just doesn't seem to go away and nobody in power wants to do anything rather than talk.

Where's the instruction to refs: "if you get mobbed, simply start showing cautions until it stops".

yeah, I won't wait by the phone on that one.

JasonMa repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was as clear and obvious as the earlier VAR that upgraded a card from yellow to red. :D

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also it couldn't be the wrong spot. If we're going with the logic that the DB was at the point of the foul the DB would have to be in the box since the foul was called as a penalty. So he must have moved it out because he didn't want Howard competing for it (or is there a rule against DB's in the box? I can't remember)

18. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    No, not the point of the foul, but where the ball was at the moment the referee decided to stop play.
    The rule is no DBs in the goal area. (And what is a box? ;))

JasonMa repped this.
  19. drummer68

drummer68 Member

Sep 17, 2005
    so, looks like something may be brewing over an illegal substitution in the dallas-colorado match...

20. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando, not Colorado.

JasonMa repped this.
  21. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the referee crew bear any responsibility for catching something like this? Certainly the coach is to blame, but surely the officials are also versed on the rules of competition.

22. drummer68

drummer68 Member

Sep 17, 2005
    #derp - sorry for the error, thanks for the catch.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, got excited for a minute (us Rapids fans will take points wherever we can get them this season :D ).

drummer68, uniqueconstraint and sulfur repped this.
  24. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    #49 GlennAA11, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    I agree on the mobbing and dissent. They always claim they're going to crack down but never do. The team gets a little fine for mass confrontation, big deal. In the Philly-Seattle match (on national TV) Bedoya lost his mind screaming at the AR over a stupid throw in (which the AR was 100% correct about). His swearing clearly picked up by the on-field microphones. Just a little warning chat. So much for sticking up for your ARs.

On the Dallas thing... I wonder if MLS has an actual competition rule that lays out what the sanction is. Tonorio mentions "FIFA rules" requiring a forfeit. But I wonder if MLS might have a rule that says once you're on the lineup sheet handed to the officials and don't start you are ineligible, and if you do this your team will forfeit.

25. dtid

dtid Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Tonorio is quoting the FIFA World Cup regulations, so not directly applicable or controlling.

The article from the Orlando Sentinel stated there are MLS rules that cover this. FWIW, I have seen similar rules for NASL and USL, so I have no reason to doubt that such an MLS rule is possible - just need confirmation. Then we need confirmation of what actually was submitted to the referees - what was actually turned in, not what a media person posted on a Twitter account.

If there is a rule and if that change was made, someone is in hot water...