2017 MLS Week 25 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by bhooks, Aug 22, 2017.

1. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The assignments for Week 25 of the 2017 MLS season:

08/23/2017

Columbus Crew v LA Galaxy
    MAPFRE Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: SORIN STOICA
    AR1: Ian Anderson
    AR2: Craig Lowry
    4TH: Marcos DeOliveira
    VAR: Hilario Grajeda

DC United v Atlanta United
    RFK Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: TED UNKEL
    AR1: Joe Fletcher
    AR2: CJ Morgante
    4TH: Rubiel Vazquez
    VAR: Ismail Elfath

Toronto FC v Philadelphia Union
    BMO Field (8:00PM ET)
    REF: ARMANDO VILLARREAL
    AR1: Peter Manikowski
    AR2: Corey Parker
    4TH: Geoff Gamble
    VAR: Mark Geiger

FC Dallas v Houston Dynamo
    Toyota Stadium (9:00PM ET)
    REF: BALDOMERO TOLEDO
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Adam Garner
    4TH: Younes Marrakchi
    VAR: Chris Penso

Real Salt Lake v San Jose Earthquakes
    Rio Tinto Stadium (10:00PM ET)
    REF: SILVIU PETRESCU
    AR1: Claudiu Badea
    AR2: Anthony Vasoli
    4TH: Daniel Radford
    VAR: Allen Chapman

Vancouver Whitecaps v Seattle Sounders
    BC Place (10:00PM ET)
    REF: RICARDO SALAZAR
    AR1: Cameron Blanchard
    AR2: Mike Rottersman
    4TH: Alex Chilowicz
    VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero

Portland Timbers v Colorado Rapids
    Providence Park (10:30PM ET)
    REF: DAVE GANTAR
    AR1: Jeremy Hanson
    AR2: Jonathan Johnson
    4TH: Alejandro Mariscal
    VAR: Drew Fischer

08/25/2017

New York Red Bulls v New York City FC
    Red Bull Arena (7:00PM ET)
    REF: JAIR MARRUFO
    AR1: Brian Poeschel
    AR2: Eduardo Mariscal
    4TH: Caleb Mendez
    VAR: Robert Sibiga

08/26/2017

DC United v New England Revolution
    RFK Stadium (7:00PM ET)
    REF: JOSE CARLOS RIVERO
    AR1: Adam Wienckowski
    AR2: Brian Dunn
    4TH: Marcos DeOliveira
    VAR: Silviu Petrescu

Philadelphia Union v Atlanta United
    Talen Energy Stadium (7:00PM ET)
    REF: DREW FISCHER
    AR1: Phil Briere
    AR2: Gianni Facchini
    4TH: Sorin Stoica
    VAR: Jair Marrufo

Columbus Crew v FC Dallas
    MAPFRE Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: ALLEN CHAPMAN
    AR1: Jeremy Hanson
    AR2: Matthew Nelson
    4TH: Ted Unkel
    VAR: Kevin Terry Jr

Orlando City v Vancouver Whitecaps
    Orlando City Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: HILARIO GRAJEDA
    AR1: Peter Balciunas
    AR2: Kevin Klinger
    4TH: Nima Saghafi
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic

Chicago Fire v Minnesota United
    Toyota Park (8:30PM ET)
    REF: KEVIN STOTT
    AR1: Jeffrey Greeson
    AR2: Kyle Longville
    4TH: Juan Guzman
    VAR: Dave Gantar

Houston Dynamo v Sporting Kansas City
    BBVA Compass Stadium (9:00PM ET)
    REF: ISMAIL ELFATH
    AR1: Kermit Quisenberry
    AR2: Apolinar Mariscal
    4TH: Geoff Gamble
    VAR: Ramy Touchan

Real Salt Lake v Colorado Rapids
    Rio Tinto Stadium (10:00PM ET)
    REF: ARMANDO VILLARREAL
    AR1: Jose Da Silva
    AR2: Nick Uranga
    4TH: Younes Marrakchi
    VAR: Victor Rivas

08/27/2017

Montreal Impact v Toronto FC
    Stade Saputo (4:30PM ET)
    REF: ROBERT SIBIGA
    AR1: Eric Weisbrod
    AR2: Jason White
    4TH: Alejandro Mariscal
    VAR: Canada CSA

LA Galaxy v San Jose Earthquakes
    StubHub Center (7:00PM ET)
    REF: CHRIS PENSO
    AR1: Eric Boria
    AR2: Corey Rockwell
    4TH: Ricardo Salazar
    VAR: Baldomero Toledo

Seattle Sounders FC v Portland Timbers
    CenturyLink Field (9:30PM ET)
    REF: MARK GEIGER
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Logan Brown
    4TH: Baboucarr Jallow
    VAR: Victor Rivas

http://proreferees.com/2017/08/22/mls-assignments-week-25/

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The VAR in Montreal is either David Barrie or Yusri Rudolf--they are the two non-PRO Canadians who have been fully trained in VAR and approved to work in MLS.

3. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Is there a reason there are all veterans on this match? It seems to me some of the "bigger" games have much less seasoned crews.

4. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Salazar and Toledo both live in California, for one. With all the games this week, that could help travel costs immensely.

JasonMa and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, that idea is inconsistent with current and recent assignments.

6. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Three video reviews in the first 27 minutes of Columbus/LA. Reviewing a red card (call stood), a in/out of penalty area decision (changed to PK), and a goal (ruled out for offside). The second two were direct input from the VAR, as Stoica did not view the monitor.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarvas tackle in DC reviewed. Initially there was no call but Unkel showed yellow once the ball was put out of play and the injury was apparent (could be justified as playing advantage, though that looked doubtful). OFR initiated. Unkel reviews. Yellow stands. Given this and the Elfath tackle two weeks ago, the standard for a clear and obvious SFP seems very high (much higher than VC).

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 MassachusettsRef, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    The Cole thing was ugly in two regards. First, it took way too long--VR wasn't initiated until 2 full minutes after the foul; there's no reason for that delay. Second, think about the standards here--Stoica gives a red and then a VAR suggests it's a "clear and obvious" mistake and Stoica says "nope, it's not." Using VAR to get a clear and obviously missed red card I understand (and can understand difference of opinion between two refs). But one ref telling another that he clearly got this wrong? I don't understand that standard being triggered here. To begin with, this was probably BOTH DOGSO and SFP! Stoica got this right the whole way probably with help of AR. VR made this worse.

As an aside, the IFAB needs to come up with a clear signal for "call stands." It's almost as if no one thought that through.

On the PK, boundary line decisions are not supposed to go to OFR in MLS, which explains why it's all on the VAR (and might explain why Elfath didn't move the NE PK into the box).

Offside decision is straightforward and a prime reason why VR now exists. Though part of me wonders if they would have pieced it together if they didn't have the crutch of VR.

How much stoppage time was added? At least 6 minutes, right?

Bradley Smith repped this.
  9. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    5 minutes were added in the first half.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there were no other injuries or substitutions, that's probably justifiable. Five or six, all depends on how much time you think was lost due to review vs how much of the time would have been lost anyway. Ball was probably out of play for 6.5-7 minutes around the three incidents, but some of that is always going to happen with a red card, a PK, and a waved off goal. Five is not perfect but better than I anticipated.

11. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    haven't seen a replay of the Sarvas one yet. I was in the stadium. When the review was called for I expected to see a red card since the whole idea of clear and obvious error is supposed to be the standard. I know it's still new, but hopefully they'll work out the inconsistencies sooner rather than later

sitruc and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  12. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the Crew-Galaxy game. My problem with the way VAR was handled is that no explanation is given in the stadium as to what is being reviewed, and why the decision was made. (Though in the first two cases it was pretty obvious.) We had to check social media to understand why the Galaxy goal was disallowed.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PK awarded via VR in Portland. Good use and correct decision.

Goal disallowed in Salt Lake. Again good use and correct decision but it's fascinating that not one defensive player, including the goalkeeper who was clearly and obviously fouled, protested the goal.

Found it hilarious that a player sent off for a 2CT was visually asking for the video review. We can't be too far away from a player asking for a review on a caution... will be interesting to see if the request gets a second yellow.

Bradley Smith repped this.
  14. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    How Sarvas, even with replay, continues to escape these dirty plays is behind me. Quite incredible.

I know FIFA, PRO and whoever stress "minimum interference with maximum benefit" and "clear and obvious," but the whole point of replay in all sports is to get the call right. This is laughable that it's not a red card. You can't have a system where in the classroom this is being shown as a red card and in your performance evaluation you get points deducted for missing this, but in replay saying that the call stands.

You can't have a system that "correctly" upholds the call on the field here, but disallows a goal for a careless foul 70 yards away from the goal (FC Dallas vs. Colorado).

15. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    You have no problem with the PK award in the Portland game, but in the Bundesliga clip you do? They are basically the same thing? No. Off the ball tug on a cross not seen by the referee.

16. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Clear offisdes, even if he does not touch the ball he is clearly interfering with the play.

17. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Of course he's not the only dirty player in the league who continues to get away with things. Carmona managed to get away with a number of things in this same match. After finally seeing the replay I am not surprised that was a caution, but I am slightly surprised that the VAR thought it was a clear and obvious error in the context of MLS. As always even with replay there will be the issue of consistency within and across matches.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you can, which is frustrating. As I've said on the other thread, the consistency on what "clear and obvious" is on penalties is the biggest hurdle for FIFA and the referees who use VR. A lack of consistency in penalty area decisions is what could undo this whole thing with the public. But the lack of consistency with SFP is probably going to be the most frustrating aspect for the referee community. I just don't get it. Maybe the kinks just need to be ironed out (after all, the VAR did suggest not sending off Sarvas was clearly and obviously wrong, so 50% of the two people who mattered thought this was red). But given everything we've seen the past year and a half, the bar for SFP in all competitions is much higher than it is for VC and I don't know why.

Good point. I'd say two things in response.

First, I'm adapting quickly and am now accepting that blatant holds, where the defender is grabbing the attacker (and the attacker is not grabbing back), caught on camera, are going to be given as penalties by VR in most cases.

Second, I'd say this particular penalty incident is clearer for me because the foul is closer to the drop zone and it's hard to dismiss the effect of the foul as trifling (I think "trifling" stands a better chance of being applied in the German scenario, because the attacker was never getting to the ball).

There's obviously always going to be the issue of how much of a hold is enough--insofar as force goes--to justify a penalty award. That's already hard to adjudicate in real-time, never mind on replay. But given where the ball was going in the Portland incident and how clear the hold was, I think a penalty is always the expected call here if it gets seen properly, which VR allows you to do here.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How?

It's almost not worth debating this because Pedro did touch the ball and the point is moot, but it's not good to have this incorrect information go unchallenged.

"Interfering with play" means playing or touching the ball, period. If he didn't touch the ball, he didn't interfere with play, which makes your statement unequivocally wrong based on the technical aspects of the Law.

Moreover, to the practical points, if he didn't touch the ball, for offside to have been triggered for interfering with an opponent, two of the standards are clearly obstructing an opponent's vision (he didn't) or challenging an opponent for the ball (he didn't), which in no way were met. The other two, which would come closest to triggering an actual offside offence, would be clearly attempting to play the ball (yes), when this action impacts an opponent (no), or making an obvious action (yes) which clearly impacts the ability of an opponent to play the ball (no).

Without a touch on the ball by Pedro, there is no offside offence here. Saying otherwise is incorrect.

Lucky Wilbury repped this.
  20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He is right in the path of the ball. A couple of yards from the keeper. How is that not interfering with the play?

I respect you very much but I cannot agree with your assessment.

Interfering with an opponent If an attacker interferes with an opponent by either preventing them from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent's line of vision or movements or making a gesture or movement which deceives or distracts an opponent, then they are offside.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, right off the bat because you are actually talking about interfering with an opponent, not with play. That's pedantic to outsiders who just want to know "offside or not?" but it matters. Under no circumstances is he "interfering with play."

Thanks, but that's too bad. Hopefully you'll see the light because this is pretty close to clear-cut.

You're citing old language in the LOTG to begin with. This is not from the current version of the Laws. Even if it was, given the ball was likely going in the net anyway, I question why you think this applies. Regardless...

I cited the four ways someone can be guilty of offside for interfering with an opponent. Two of them unequivocally didn't happen. Since Pedro attempted to play the ball (again, in a theoretical world where he didn't actually touch the ball), the third or fourth clause could be triggered IF his action impacted an opponent or it impacted an opponent's ability to play the ball. No opponent could have played that ball, so the fourth clause is a nonstarter. You're left with asking whether or not Pedro's attempt to play the ball impacted an opponent. That's literally all you've got. You really think Pedro's attempt to play the ball (the attempt, not his position), impacted an opponent? The goalkeeper, who was on the other post, or the defender, who was behind him and further away from the goal, would have done something differently if not for the attempt to play the ball or did do something differently because of it?

refinDC, Bradley Smith and Lucky Wilbury repped this.
  22. oldmanreferee

oldmanreferee Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Mountain View, ca
    not sure if anyone else has noticed this but, looks like those 50/50 decisions for misconduct are not being given until after the video review has been done.
    I thought it was supposed to be they make decision and if wrong then VAR steps in

jarbitro repped this.
  23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than Guzman's red, which was likely due to the player being down for an injury (he looked like he recorded a card but didn't show it), what examples do you have? The Cole and Sarvas cards were both shown before review was initiated.

24. Lucky Wilbury

Lucky Wilbury Member

Mar 19, 2012
    United States
    I'm going to assume that you mean the "orange cards" instead of a "50/50 decision for misconduct", as in a decision to give misconduct - i.e., a DFK vs YC. I think that's what MassRef assumed from his post, but it isn't written very well.

Let's not forget every other YC for a reckless tackle this month, as well. Theoretically, all of those are being checked by the VAR to see if it needs to be reviewed.

While there are a few that have been delayed while players are down injured, I'd argue that a) the refs have maybe figured something out with all the training, or b) the card wouldn't have been shown anyway until the player got up off the ground.

25. oldmanreferee

oldmanreferee Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Mountain View, ca