2017 MLS Week 22 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 1, 2017.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    08/05/2017

D.C. United v Toronto FC
    (7:00PM ET)
    REF: ALLEN CHAPMAN
    AR1: Kyle Atkins
    AR2: Eduardo Mariscal
    4TH: Rubiel Vazquez
    VAR: Ismail Elfath

Philadelphia Union v FC Dallas
    (7:00PM ET)
    REF: RICARDO SALAZAR
    AR1: Jeffrey Greeson
    AR2: Kyle Longville
    4TH: Jorge Gonzalez
    VAR: Hilario Grajeda

Montreal Impact v Orlando City
    (7:30PM ET)
    REF: KEVIN STOTT
    AR1: Claudiu Badea
    AR2: Craig Lowry
    4TH: Geoff Gamble
    VAR: Ted Unkel

Minnesota United v Seattle Sounders
    (8:00PM ET)
    REF: JOSE CARLOS RIVERO
    AR1: Jose Da Silva
    AR2: Adam Garner
    4TH: Baboucarr Jallow
    VAR: Victor Rivas

Chicago Fire v New England Revolution
    (8:30PM ET)
    REF: SILVIU PETRESCU
    AR1: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho
    AR2: Andrew Bigelow
    4TH: Juan Guzman Jr
    VAR: Sorin Stoica

Colorado Rapids v Vancouver Whitecaps
    (10:00PM ET)
    REF: NIMA SAGHAFI
    AR1: Matthew Nelson
    AR2: Peter Balciunas
    4TH: Armando Villarreal
    VAR: Fotis Bazakos

Real Salt Lake v Houston Dynamo
    (10:00PM ET)
    REF: ROBERT SIBIGA
    AR1: Kathryn Nesbitt
    AR2: Ian Anderson
    4TH: Alejandro Mariscal
    VAR: Timothy Ford

San Jose Earthquakes v Columbus Crew
    (10:30PM ET)
    REF: ALAN KELLY
    AR1: Michael Kampmeinert
    AR2: Brian Dunn
    4TH: Alex Chilowicz
    VAR: Jon Freemon

08/06/2017

Portland Timbers v LA Galaxy
    (4:00PM ET)
    REF: DREW FISCHER
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Mike Rottersman
    4TH: Mark Kadlecik
    VAR: Dave Gantar

New York City v New York Red Bulls
    (6:00PM ET)
    REF: BALDOMERO TOLEDO
    AR1: Corey Parker
    AR2: Peter Manikowski
    4TH: Ismail Elfath
    VAR: Allen Chapman

Sporting Kansas City v Atlanta United
    (8:00PM ET)
    REF: CHRIS PENSO
    AR1: Cameron Blanchard
    AR2: Corey Rockwell
    4TH: Sorin Stoica
    VAR: Juan Guzman Jr

2. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These and some of the upcoming VAR assignments have been known in some circles for a bit, but now that they are public they can be posted here. You'll note several non-MLS officials have been selected to serve in the VAR role, based on their successes and observed skills so far in other competitions this year. Freemon, Ford and Rivas (all National Referees, all in the PRO Elite Group, which is the tier where people are most considered for promotion) will all serve as VARs in this first week. You'll see a few additional news names as the month unfolds, but the majority of VARs will be PRO officials, just like you see above.

3. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm interested to see if VARs will continue to be PRO refs, or will there be a time when some VARs will be officials specializing in VAR. Possibly retired refs continuing in VAR role?

4. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also looks like they will travel VAR's and 4ths on the same weekend, so that one person can do two assignments. From DC to NY that's not a big deal as trains run all day. Chicago to KC might be trickier, but I guess worst case scenario they might drive. Someone noted earlier that they are not above doing that from Seattle/Orlando/Vancouver w/in five days.... but I assume if there is a travel problem with the 4th, the VAR steps into the 4th role, and they don't use VAR for a game.

5. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Super busy week for Chapman, centering the All-Star game Wednesday, another center Saturday and a VAR Sunday. Try not to overwork him, PRO...

6. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting NON-use of the video referee in CHI-NE. Accam on Caldwell seemed like a prime candidate to review for SFP, but nothing.

7. doog

doog Member

Jun 11, 2006
    There was a play at the end of the LAG PDX match that I'm curious about.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/08/06/yellow-card-daniel-guzman-shown-yellow-card?autoplay=true

Fischer awards a FK and a couple of Timbers players request 10 yards. Fischer directs then to take the kick, they ask for 10 yards, and then the player standing over the ball gets a card for time wasting.

To my eye it looks like there's nowhere near 10 yards between the ball and the defenders. My question is whether or not the players are within their rights in waiting for the players to be moved back, and what you all think about the way this was handled.

FWIW Fischer claims that the defenders were 10 yards from the ball.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have questions about this, too, but you need to see the entire incident from the stoppage (and perhaps even earlier similar stoppages) to make a fair determination on what's happening. If the Timbers players indicated or acted as though they wanted a quick free kick, for example, then suddenly requested the 10 to waste time, perhaps Fischer was in his rights. As it stands, it LOOKS like a harsh card in a vacuum, but I've been in situations that look similar to this where everyone knew the attacking team was the cause of any real delay, so I won't cast judgment without more info.

9. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I don't watch MLS very often, but it seems to me the referees never call FRD for standing over the ball, anyway.

10. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    lol slc vs atl... Kansas City keeper kicks a gk oob over his own goal line. Within the pa.

Never seen such a thing outside of u little soccer, so I was glad to see penso get the restart right

Bubba Atlanta and voiceoflg repped this.
  11. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...How the hell?

12. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    I really don't understand why Fisher didn't either award a penalty for this or look to VAR. From every angle, the defender never gets a touch on the ball.

I know that he was right there, but this seems to be the primary flaw in VAR - he get's to say, "nope, I got a good enough view, I don't need to review" even if VAR says, "dude, that's a PK."

894270068238012416 is not a valid tweet id

13. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He pulls his shirt, too. The combination of the hip, shirt tug, and lack of a touch on the ball screams penalty to me.

14. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see the game. So he actually gave the retake?

15. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
  16. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Is it a clear and obvious error? I can certainly make a case for penalty here but I can also say that hip check is lighter contact and no foul. IMO it's a penalty but the VAR isn't there like football to say "let's take another look and see if that call was right." It's only for clear and obvious errors which I would say this is not. Also, when VAR intervenes it is an official who is trusted and when they say "dude you missed that" the feeling on the field is that it must be because it's clear and obvious. Having an ego in that moment is you saying I trust myself more than another well trained individual with multiple views and replay which simply doesn't happen.

17. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's awesome. I bet there were some minds being blown watching that.

18. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    Sigh. You're right. Clear and obvious error is the criteria.

Regardless, Fisher is my least favorite PRO ref. We saw how he bungled the Gold Cup game. Often seems he can barely handle MLS.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we ended the first week with two actual VAR interventions that changed calls, correct?

You had the Dallas goal disallowed for a foul on the goalkeeper and the Galaxy goal disallowed for handling (and a caution given). Anything else?

From an officiating standpoint, it would be difficult to ask for two cleaner examples of getting the call right. In that regard, VAR worked perfectly and didn't add to any controversy. PSRA and PRO should both be breathing a sigh of relief on that front.

I think the biggest argument is going to be one of timing/process. The delays in both situations were pretty excessive--particularly the one in Portland where the kickoff was setup, delayed, and then Fischer had to run all the way down to the goal line to do the On-Field Review (OFR). For goal/no-goal situations, if you read the IFAB protocol, there is nothing that requires the CR to do an OFR. In these two situations, we'd be saving about a full minute each if the VAR was just allowed to tell Salazar "no goal, he kicked the goalkeeper" or Fischer, "no goal, handling 100%". There's really no need for either referee to have to look at these two situations. Penalties and SFP calls are (or at least can be) different because there are issues of in-match consistency and of the camera, perhaps, not catching something the referee is sure that he saw.

So overall a good start. I'm hopeful Webb & co. will adjust the OFR process, but I doubt that will come immediately. The big test is going to be the first penalty or SFP/VC decision that results in a reversal.

JasonMa repped this.
  20. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    In the NYCFC-NYRB match, Toledo makes the deciding penalty call definitively on a high boot. But then, he converses with the VAR for about 15 seconds and then pulls out a yellow card for the NYRB defender. It appears as though the VAR is advising on the card, but I think the VAR is taking a second look at the actual penalty call? BTW, the call was correct thru and thru.

What a pity those teams have to play on such a narrow pitch. That match had no flow and 40 total fouls. I thought Toledo did a good job keeping a lid on especially with NYRB committing 25 of the 40.

I do wonder, though, if the pace of the match was too much for him as I thought he quite often trailed play from a distance.

21. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR aside, Fisher seems to be following the Juan Guzman track...be an exceptional referee, then get the white badge, and then sort of spiral down. I'd submit that losing his white badge actually improved Guzman's game (back to where he was before he got it), and if Fisher doesn't improve I think he runs the risk of the same thing happening.

That caution to Portland is just absurd, regardless of surrounding circumstances. It is a free kick 18 yards from goal, on the attacking side. Its just comical to let the situation escalate to caution for time wasting, while allowing another player to demonstrate like that and go unpunnished, when doing a ceremonial restart costs absolutely nothing and is technically correct anyway.

22. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    The fact that this wasn't reviewed makes me far more optimistic about VAR. Do I think this was a penalty? Yes. Clear and obvious? No.
    Best case scenario, we only see VAR in use a few times each week...if you start seeing it every game, we get into scary territory.

23. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    The odd thing to me is the location of the on-field monitor. I know that want to keep it away from the benches, but putting it on one endline seems potentially very inconvenient. [Or is there one on each endline and I just didn't notice?]

The ones that they did review were correct, but I think it will always come down to the calls that don't get reviewed but probably should be that will continue to be the talking points. The PKs that don't get called, for example. That might be the one kind of decision that takes the longest time to change in how the referees call things on the field. And the whole question of when the "attacking phase" starts will also be a work progress I think. The halftime shows of the national TV games did a pretty good job of pointing out those questions.

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The VAR would always be doing the silent check to ensure the penalty was not obviously wrong.

The issue of misconduct is an interesting one and there are a number of possibilities. One of them, of course, is that he was talking to someone else for help other than the VAR but having watched the match I agree it looks like it's the VAR he used, so...

1 - Toledo knew he wanted to give a caution the whole time and was checking to get the right number (15 or 55) so as to prevent mistaken identity

2 - Toledo asked the VAR to consider the possibility of SFP, which is allowed per the protocols; once that request is triggered, my understanding is that the VAR is free to recommend any misconduct, which is how you get a yellow but not a red

3 - In the normal course of checking the penalty, the VAR suggested a yellow; this path seems a little more tenuous based on how the protocols are written--it's not explicitly outlawed, but seems to undermine the spirit of the VAR not giving yellows

Knowing how Toledo operates, I'd strongly suggest that #2 is what happened here. But I could be wrong.

Rufusabc repped this.
  25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 MassachusettsRef, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    He's Canada's #1, got a Hex match, and just went to the Gold Cup. The CSA isn't going to do this. They only have 2 of their apparent 4 slots filled as it is. Fischer (and Gantar, really) are on that list for as long as they want, barring injuries. The next crop of Canadian FIFAs (possibly Barrie and Rudolf, I'd imagine?) isn't even in MLS yet. Canada doesn't have a deep bench--I believe they have 10 male NRs (and that counts Petrescu and Gamble), so you're talking about 8 people total waiting in the wings right now. When that's the situation you're in, you don't toss your top FIFA overboard because he had a bad match at Gold Cup and may not be in the upper echelon of MLS.

jarbitro repped this.