2017 MLS Week 11 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by bhooks, May 9, 2017.

1. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Id guess either the penalty non call or everything that led to the straight red to Acosta, both of which as a Union fan I think we got lucky.

2. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fruitless stabs are certainly not card worthy. If attacker had pushed the ball into one of Jones' feet instead of the meg, is the play good d? Defender would have done nothing different. Part of my pushback here is that "he made no play at the ball," is often used as foul justification in cases like this. You admit there was a play at the ball, you're just critical of the quality or what you perceive as the intent / sincerity of the effort. Also, not sure what was silly, other than perhaps overcommitting a little too much or getting megged.

Flip side: defender established position to steer attacker in a particular direction, after attacker pushed ball too far ahead of himself. Then, the attacker made no attempt to avoid the defender or change his course or redirect the ball to the left or to the right of the defender. Not sure why defender is obligated to give attacker more room or yield space here. Both culpable / contributing...foul, maybe. Card? (I haven't watched the full game & don't know about Jones' prior play, just viewing this in isolation).

3. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    Agree to disagree about the tackle, but I'm with you regarding encroachment. Trifling seems to be the word here.

4. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  5. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    Not sure I agree. I see the grab by TFC, but I also see MUFC grabbing back, trying to box out the TFC player. At the time the ball strikes the MUFC player, I don't think a foul has yet occurred. Also, look at the player's reactions. No one is calling for the foul.

6. TLR2

TLR2 Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Club:
    Everton FC
    863858358822064131 is not a valid tweet id

Not sure how that's not a red...

7. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    But a deliberate step into the attacker's path is when it breaks up a promising attack like that one. He even extended the arm to make contact. Not a very tough call to make, really.

jeffmefun and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  8. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    threeputzzz repped this.
  9. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20' in the NYRB - LA match.

Aerial challenge leads to a head injury. Rivero has no foul but stops play quickly--almost immediately--for the head injury. I had an SFP charge on live view and nothing on replay changes my mind. I think this is the type of foul the IFAB and FIFA want eradicated from the game, but we referees struggle to stamp out because the players and fans don't expect a red.

10. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Maybe, I'm over exaggerating here, but MLS referees seem to be getting the new DOGSO law completely wrong.

If you call a foul there, I just don't see how you don't produce a yellow card there for DOGSO.

We've seen now multiple incidents where they either fail to produce a caution or red card when appropriate in the penalty area.

11. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Interesting question re: DOGSO. He did manage to re-direct the ball right to another defender before making contact with the attacker. If we believe there is no obvious goalscoring opportunity if he had made that play without the foul, are we left to decide if he could have possibly done it without fouling?

12. oldmanreferee

oldmanreferee Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Mountain View, ca
    So in everyones opinion is that he stopped a promising attack???

13. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simon Borg demands 15+ red cards a week, yet on the one incident I point out likely needed a red card, he highlights it at the top of his video as being "well-handled" with no foul being called. Thirteen seconds in...

Lucky Wilbury repped this.
  14. Lucky Wilbury

Lucky Wilbury Member

Mar 19, 2012
    United States
    Stone cold red card. He sees the player. He lines him up. He pushed out with his forearm and makes contact with his neck/head. Red card. Borg is off the reservation with this one.

This is the 3rd charge from behind with the body in the past month. At least 2 haven't had fouls called (I forget about the 3rd). I'm curious if the DisCo suspends this player like they did to the Minnesota player a few weeks ago.

15. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    got my blood boiling.
    the elbow is a definite red. definitely telling the players what they can get away with