2017 MLS Week 10 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by bhooks, May 2, 2017.

1. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    MLS took action - moved the YC to Delem, which meant a 2CT and a suspension: https://www.soundersfc.com/post/2017/05/11/jordy-delem-suspended-saturdays-match-against-chicago.

2. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Since this article doesn't say it was a DisCo decision, who is making the decision that the yellow was meant for Delem? (Even though I know it's obvious that it should be for him)

Is this Jair saying "Whoops, I messed up, wrong guy.", or is this some other entity inside of MLS that gets to make this decision?

3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine it became obvious to the referees, if they didn't already know, once they reviewed the match. Even if the league caught it, surely they would confirm with the officials before making a decision, right? Don't really know for sure.

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was not a DisCo decision. DisCo could only review a potential SFP on this play.

Sounds like it was MLS itself. The question is whether Marrufo freely copped to the mistake or PRO told him he made a mistake. It's a big difference even though it's the same result, but we might never get public confirmation of how it went down.

5. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    It's basically a way to give a red card but allow the player to stay on the pitch, thus avoiding all
    manner of blame, dissent, and "spoiled game" etc. This is just a symptom of what is wrong with professional
    soccer these days, not just in MLS, but this is a particularly egregious example. At the top level everyone is happy with
    this entire event, only people who believe in the integrity of the LOTG are unhappy, and nobody cares for those people!

PH