2017 MLS Week 10 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by bhooks, May 2, 2017.

1. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    05/03/2017

Toronto FC v Orlando City
    BMO Field (7:30pm ET)
    REF: BALDOMERO TOLEDO
    AR1: Gianni Facchini
    AR2: Peter Balciunas
    4TH: Silviu Petrescu

Sporting Kansas City v New York Red Bulls
    Children's Mercy Park (8:30pm ET)
    REF: ALLEN CHAPMAN
    AR1: Danny Thornberry
    AR2: Nick Uranga
    4TH: Edvin Jurisevic

05/05/2017

Colorado Rapids v Vancouver Whitecaps
    Dick's Sporting Goods Park (10:00pm ET)
    REF: JORGE GONZALEZ
    AR1: Jeffrey Hosking
    AR2: Andrew Bigelow
    4TH: Younes Marrakchi

05/06/2017

Seattle Sounders v Toronto FC
    CenturyLink Field (3:00pm ET)
    REF: JAIR MARRUFO
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Adam Garner
    4TH: Baboucarr Jallow

D.C. United v Montreal Impact
    RFK Stadium (6:00pm ET)
    REF: ROBERT SIBIGA
    AR1: Jeremy Hanson
    AR2: Anthony Vasoli
    4TH: Caleb Mendez

Philadelphia Union v New York Red Bulls
    Talen Energy Stadium (7:00pm ET)
    REF: SILVIU PETRESCU
    AR1: Cameron Blanchard
    AR2: Jonathan Johnson
    4TH: Ted Unkel

Columbus Crew v New England Revolution
    MAPFRE Stadium (7:30pm ET)
    REF: MARK GEIGER
    AR1: Peter Manikowski
    AR2: Felisha Mariscal
    4TH: Fotis Bazakos

Houston Dynamo v Orlando City
    BBVA Compass Stadium (8:30pm ET)
    REF: SORIN STOICA
    AR1: Mike Rottersman
    AR2: Jeff Muschik
    4TH: Alejandro Mariscal

Real Salt Lake v FC Dallas
    Rio Tinto Stadium (9:30pm ET)
    REF: DREW FISCHER
    AR1: Kyle Atkins
    AR2: Jeffrey Greeson
    4TH: Allen Chapman

LA Galaxy v Chicago Fire
    StubHub Center (10:30pm ET)
    REF: KEVIN STOTT
    AR1: Craig Lowry
    AR2: Eduardo Mariscal
    4TH: Alex Chilowicz

San Jose Earthquakes v Portland Timbers
    Avaya Stadium (10:30pm ET)
    REF: NIMA SAGHAFI
    AR1: Corey Rockwell
    AR2: Kevin Klinger
    4TH: Ricardo Salazar

05/07/2017

Minnesota United v Sporting Kansas City
    TCF Bank Stadium (1:30pm ET)
    REF: ALAN KELLY
    AR1: Apolinar Mariscal
    AR2: Kermit Quisenberry
    4TH: Hilario Grajeda

New York City v Atlanta United
    Yankee Stadium (4:00pm ET)
    REF: ISMAIL ELFATH
    AR1: Joe Fletcher
    AR2: Brian Dunn
    4TH: Jose Carlos Rivero

http://www.proreferees.com/2017-mls-regular-season-assignments---week-10.php

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Colorado Rapids v Vancouver Whitecaps
    Dick's Sporting Goods Park (10:00pm ET)
    REF: JORGE GONZALEZ
    AR1: Jeffrey Hosking
    AR2: Andrew Bigelow
    4TH: Younes Marrakchi

Right before the 77 minute mark, Younes Marrakchi steps in for Jorge Gonzalez who appeared to have some sort of pain in his thigh.

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Marrakchi has to give a second yellow in his first ever match, with the first yellow accredited to a different referee. Boy, not sure @ManiacalClown 's database can account for this.

Dayton Ref, jarbitro and JasonMa repped this.
  5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be interesting. I go by NASCAR rules of a sorts. Starting referee gets credit for the match overall, but any cards shown are credited to the specific referee. Marrakchi will have cards but no matches. Might cause an issue with the queries. We'll find out.

jarbitro, Ismitje, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad he gave two different cautions. Zero matches, 1 yellow, 1 2CT would be an impossible opening act to replicate.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird match with the ref change. Not that Williams didn't deserve his red but the bars for fouls and cards dropped like a stone when the ref changed.

8. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    We might learn more post-game, but it does look like a case of mistaken identity by Marrufo in the Sounders/TFC game - a YC for Alonzo rather than a second for Delem.

9. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    If true, it is deja vu all over again!

PH

RedStar91 repped this.
  10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea how Geiger didn't give a red to Watson for chlotheslining a guy.

11. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    For it to be deja vu all over again, his crew should disappear from MLS like last time...

12. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thought the same on initial viewing, but on replay I was OK with a caution. He did appear to put his arm as much across the chest as catch him in the neck.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  13. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh, I need to rewrite a SQL statement I wrote like 7 years ago thanks to this week's events.

Dayton Ref, JasonMa and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  14. oldmanreferee

oldmanreferee Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Mountain View, ca
    Question...
    Why is that challenge not straight red?
    or am I missing something

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  15. oldmanreferee

oldmanreferee Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Mountain View, ca
    from Highlight i wonder the same thing. and I hear the announcer say that Coach is sent off. I dont agree with coaches making a scene but I have seen worse this year by a few coaches.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...s-new-england-revolution/details/video/102614

Different note I will find it but coach in Arg. went nuts for a call saturday. Ripped/stripped off his shirt while walking from technical area to locker room

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A key difference is that in the old situation the second caution was shown and he just refused to show the necessary red. So the mistake was public and there was no real way to excuse the error. Now, who deserved the be punished for the error is an entirely different matter.

In this case, he opted to book someone else, on his own, after indicating he was coming back for a caution after playing advantage. Given the position of the players, this mistake is a bit more understandable. And it's also much harder for an AR or 4th to intervene with certainty (I'd personally be much more confident in a situation where I was saying "no, you already booked #5" than saying something like "no, #5 committed that tackle, not #4").

Will be interesting to see if PRO addresses this publicly with a mea culpa (or some sort of excuse) or if the DisCo confronts this in any way. Of course, the irony is that the first caution on Delem was very weak or entirely wrong, depending upon your perspective, so that might dissuade the DisCo from intervening if they even have a mandate to do so in such a case.

17. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    Right. It's a tough dilemma for the Sounders: do you ask for it to be corrected (assuming the DisCo can do so? I have no idea if this is in their purview), in which case you lose Delem for the next game, or do you keep it on Alonso, knowing that puts you one game closer to his inevitable accrual-based suspension. Guessing they aren't planning to complain, in which case DisCo probably ignores it. The lack of any public communication so far supports that guess.

18. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Not exactly. Apparently, back then, he told the AR and 4th that he booked a different player the first time. This time he
    has reversed it, booked a different one the 2nd time.
    Different only in the methodology, not the end result, namely a twice cautioned player stays on the field.

PH

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. That's my point. Same result but different methodology. But the difference in methodology matters insofar as the culpability of the crew members go.

The old methodology meant his crew members were obligated to intervene. My understanding is some of them tried, like you said, but to no avail because Marrufo insisted they were wrong. They faced concequences for that--deserved or not (and I think we are on the same page as to that question).

This time, since he never actually showed two cautions to the same player, there is no obligation to publicly intervene. Did they ask questions over the radio and try to correct the apparent mistake? Probably unlikely the public will ever know. But if Marrufo is sure he cautioned Alonso for a legitimate reason, what can they do? That's completely on him.

20. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I agree it is a difficult situation for the crew. But there should be some fairly obvious reason why a player is getting a YC. Especially when there is another player who just did something that deserved a caution, but does not get it. A referee can't just caution a player for no apparent reason. What did Alonso do?
    Incidentally, I think this stems from the years old tendency to avoid red cards in MLS.
    Some might call it clever match management, whereas others disagree. It makes good fodder for LOTG purists but I am not sure that the MLS higher-ups really care, and the same might apply to FIFA in significant games. The entertainment value for the fans in the stadium and on TV trumps the facts.

PH

21. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I think a big problem for this happening is that, from everyone I've heard, Marrufo is extremely difficult to work with and wants very little input from his ARs. He really doesn't want his ARs helping out much and offering input. I bet his crew said nothing, because he usually doesn't want input from his crew.

I've heard similar things that @MassRef has heard in regards to the original second caution debacle years ago that Marrufo just ignored his crew's input. If he isn't going to listen to his crew on a cut and dry factual event of a player receiving two yellow cards, you think he is going to listen to his crew saying "uh Jair, I think you are cautioning the wrong guy there on that advantage...?"

I doubt any conversation happened at all, and, if one did, I doubt it went the way I said it.

I don't think that sentiment is as prevalent in MLS as it used to be, certainly during the regular season at least.

In Marrufo's case, I do think he does go by that philosophy of trying to avoid red cards in all cases.

The statistics back it up as statistically he is either the leader or at the top of giving the least amount of red and yellow cards among referees in the league.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (@ManiacalClown), but I think Marrufo has gone like 4 or 5 seasons without giving a second caution red card. I don't care how you spin that, but that's almost statistically impossible and really should not be happening at the professional level unless you are just blatantly going out of your way to manipulate matches to avoid giving a second caution red card.

Regardless, his approach clearly works as he gets almost always the best games every week and I doubt this incident will have any impact on his future assignments.

You will probably see him on an Eastern or Western Conference Final 1st or 2nd leg playoff match. The game will feature a lot of physical play, very few fouls called and certainly no red cards and a "job well done" from PRO/MLS.

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. oldmanreferee

oldmanreferee Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Mountain View, ca
    I was told that they are recording the ref comms for development purposes, I am wondering if this one is recordered and if so we will know if Anderson or Jallow assisted on the situation. Only thing i can see is that it happened and is like last year with UNKEL 2 players in the vicinity and he showed the wrong player the card.