2017 MLS Uniform/Kit Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by kyleburkholder, Feb 27, 2017.

1. kyleburkholder

Dec 4, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    South Africa
    harrylee773, profiled and matbluvenger repped this.
  2. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to following your graphics! Any plans for upgrades or are you sticking with the same style?

3. kyleburkholder

Dec 4, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    South Africa
  4. kyleburkholder

Dec 4, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    South Africa
  5. kyleburkholder

Dec 4, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    South Africa
    I think I'm gonna roll with this style and format. I played around with some dynamic coloring of the cells last year, trying to capture kits like Columbus' white/yellow top more accurately. Ultimately, it didn't look right - something about the simplicity of the individual cells makes the complexity of the larger sheet better (in my opinion)...

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'll keep doing the same stats in my weekly roundup unless someone thinks I should add a category.

Right now I track Non-Primary Jerseys, White Jerseys, and Monochrome kits.

Hmm. I'm looking at the new kits. Questions:

DC United - is the new alternate a white jersey and a monochrome kit?

San Jose - are we calling their new primary all black?

Any other issues?

7. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. I was imagining something like the stylized cells you were talking about, especially with there being quite a few kits with interesting elements this year

8. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Always a big fan of this thread!

For teams like RBNY, LAG and VAN, they'll naturally push the "white jerseys" up, but I believe that this variable is more useful if you exclude the primary kits. Because isn't this really to track the "boring white change strips" that teams have a tendency to use? In which case, primaries should be excluded. This would mean tracking Non-Primary Jerseys, Non-primary White Jerseys, and Monochrome kits.

Or maybe ditch the white jerseys alltogether and track how many teams are wearing non-primary kits at home? This might make for a more interesting statistic.

9. kyleburkholder

Dec 4, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    South Africa
    I would answer yes to both of your questions.

10. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Only other thing I can think of would be if there's a way to track which uniform match ups causes a team to wear their non standard setup (i.e. forces one team or the other to switch into a different shirt then they'd normally wear at home/away).

11. kyleburkholder

Dec 4, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    South Africa
    I hear you. in a dream world, a graphic using the "ghost kit" (a la http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/photo/2017/02/17/2017-mls-uniforms-jerseys-kits) as opposed to plainly colored cells would be incredible. I may try to use those mockups to give an example of what the individual kits look like in reality so we have a reference for what the colored cells actually represent...

Like...

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 3.11.52 PM.png

12. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    A few more questions:

Is the Atlanta secondary white?

Is the Chicago secondary white?

Is the New England secondary red or white?

kyleburkholder repped this.
  13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Hmm. That is a tricky one. It doesn't seem like it would happen very often for home teams. Minnesota seems like they would be the best example of that. Both of their shirts are so light that the White or Light Blue primary teams like the Galaxy, Vancouver, Red Bulls, NY City, and Kansas City might be forced into wearing their darker alternates against them at home and on the road. Although Kansas City didn't have much of a "primary" jersey last year. The wore all three of their shirts pretty interchangeably all year.

Houston normally stays away from wearing orange when they play Columbus in yellow and sometimes against Chicago or Toronto in red but mostly wears orange against Dallas even they wear red. And last year Houston wore Black at home a few times just for the heck of it. They wore the Black shirts on the road a few times when they probably didn't need to but were they "forced" into it? Hard to say for sure.

profiled repped this.
  14. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah it would be complicated, what I was looking for is a "this uniform combo caused a variation from the expected".

Basically an incompatibility score for a uniform.

15. kyleburkholder

Dec 4, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    South Africa
    I'm calling the ATL secondary light grey and the Chicago secondary grey.

I'm also calling the Revs secondary white since the sleeve and back of the jersey are entirely white.

16. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Those new Adidas sock templates are fantastic! [​IMG]

kyleburkholder repped this.
  18. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    matbluvenger repped this.
  19. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Or frustrating as they start to become inaccurate.

21. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think that'll happen? Aren't the kits usually set well ahead of the match anyway?

22. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Plenty of times last year that the official sheet said one thing, but the teams came out in something different.

23. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been wondering about this for years now. Perhaps someone is willing to answer for me.

Who decides what kits are worn for a match? Is it the primary match official? The head coach of the home team?
    And who decides what "clashes" and what should be done about it?

For example, with the new kits, if Portland plays at Atlanta, clearly Portland's second kit clashes with Atlanta's home kit. But Portland's primary kit is very dark---would it also clash too much? Would Atlanta have to wear their secondary kits at home? (And who decides this?)

Oh yeah, BOO MONOCHROME! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

24. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm pretty sure the home team says what they will be wearing very early in the process. Last year, for example, the Dynamo told us before the season started exactly which home games during the year the team would be wearing the new black kit.

Away teams then look at that plan and submit what kit they will be wearing. I would assume that someone at the league gives an approval to that. But the referee can always step in and decide that the kits are too similar and force one of the teams to change. There have been instances in the past where the away team has worn the home team's other shirt because they didn't have anything with them that clashed enough.

TKyle repped this.
  25. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But let's look at today's CHI at CLB. Cbus picks their yellow. So, CHI submits that they will wear their grey? So it's CHI's choice not to wear their primary red, even though it clashes less than the grey?

I've never understood this...

harrylee773 repped this.