2017 MLS Regular Season Roster Moves

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jason1551, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
  2. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago has been Pauned.

3. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should.

Pedro Rondon H de Sá repped this.
  4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So about the thread title: is there something I am missing?

5. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the average age of MLS, USL and NASL this season?

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martino deal frankly is a steal and savvy business. Could see him sold for 2-3X that in a couple years.

7. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martino is the coach of Atlanta. I assume you are talking about Martinez or are you talking about another Martino in MLS?

8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, typo.

9. Joe in CO

Joe in CO Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Jamestown, CO by way of Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Being a CF97 guy I'm ok with the Schweinie acquisition. Yes Polster, Juninho and Dax already all play the same position and fielding all of them together might feel forced but ownership had the chance to upgrade (if healthy) and actually followed through. For us that's huge as our ownership is the worst. It's only a one year deal (with options) at $4.5 million and honestly it's about time ownership spends money like it actually is a big market team. In a perfect world acquiring BS is part of a larger effort by ownership to make the team look more appealing to perspective new owners and hopefully the Fire will officially be on the market soon. If that's the case and Hauptman does sell it doesn't matter how BS ever does as the fan base would consider that the best $4.5 million ever spent.

This move makes Dax and/or Juninho expendable (not a chance I'd trade Polster) and moving either/both should not be difficult. Hopefully Nelson Rodriguez can manage to pull off one or two meaningful trades with those fellas and fill some of our more glaring roster holes but I wouldn't hold my breathe.

In the meantime I'd play a 4-3-3 with Niko and Schweinie playing a bit above their respective lines:

Niko
    Accam MDL

Schweinie
    Dax Juninho

Vincent Campbell Kap Polster

Just to get him on the field I'd play Polster at RB (when healthy in a week or two). He played in the back in college and I don't think it'd be much of a stretch. He couldn't possibly be worse than Harrington.

Stupid_American, GHjelm and Sachsen repped this.
  10. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Quoted for truth.

TOAzer and Joe in CO repped this.
  11. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
  13. argo15

argo15 Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Crew fan, I like it. On the one hand, it seems a lot to be giving up for a guy in the final year of his contract (if he opts to go elsewhere). On the other hand, Tchani is clearly surplus right now though I'm not sold on Abu. I do like Artur. For the short term, at least, I think it's an area where they have needed more production. Meram has been good but they are not getting enough from the wide positions in the last year.

14. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Interesting trade.

I think Manneh's development stalled at Vancouver and he gets a new start at Columbus probably better suited for his style. He was getting no service at Vancouver and his one dimensional skills and lack of defensive hustle didn't fit what Robbo wants out of his wingers. I'd imagine Brek Shea is going to be playing more LW along with Marcel de Jong.

Caps get a box to box CM in Tchani who adds value to a Caps midfield that's been lacking in quality. If Tchani replicates his 2015 form, it's a good trade for Caps. (And if Caps uses the TAM/GAM money well)

Papillon Soo Soo repped this.
  15. areathrasher

areathrasher Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  16. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hardly a blockbuster trade. But I like Sam Cronin and think he's underrated. Certainly can't solve Demidov's brain farts, but he's a better DM shield than whatever pylon the Loons had before.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  17. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any trade that upgrades our backline is a blockbuster, by Loon standards.

markxinger and Dead Fingers repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsensical trade from the Rapids POV unless they have a major move lined up to use the extra cap space on. Two guys who started pretty much every game last year (and this year) for two bench warmers? The only value Colorado got in this move was getting salary off the books.

Ismitje repped this.
  19. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Maybe not "blockbuster," but quietly huge for both teams. I think @JasonMa's reaction from the Rapids' perspective sums up the importance of Cronin and Burch. For the parts moving from Minnesota to Colorado, I'm surprised not to see any allocation money (which Minn. is flush with) in the mix. I guess this means Azira and Boateng are Colorado's midfield locks going forward? Good pickups for Minnesota, but sheesh, everybody knew they were in the market for a CB (and defensive reinforcements for generally). You'd think Colorado would try to squeeze them before giving up the goods.

JasonMa repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm with @JasonMa and don't understand the trade from Denver's perspective. Saeid was a serviceable DM for Columbus and a decent MLS roster guy, but he hardly seems even with Cronin, in terms of "like for like" in the trade.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, this move was a little different than first reported.

Colorado sends Burch to Minnesota in exchange for Gatt, Saeid, and an international slot. Jeff Carlisle is also reporting that Minnesota will be picking up some of Gatt's salary.

Colorado then waives Sam Cronin who Minnesota claims immediately off waivers.

The latter move is due to the new CBA rules which state that a player who got above the agreed upon salary bump for a player claimed in the re-entry draft can't be traded in the following year, to avoid getting around the re-entry draft rules.

Now I'm assuming that the Burch trade was done with the full knowledge of the Cronin move by both sides and the Rapids might have gotten more from Minnesota than they would have without Cronin becoming available.

23. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Janusz Mihaliek (sp) absolutely killed this deal and the Rapids on Sirius today. Then again, he also said there's only three real rivalries in MLS and DC-Metros wasn't one of them. So I don't see why they let someone who really hates MLS comment on it.

Thx,

Jay!

24. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    What did he say were the 3 real rivalries in MLS?

25. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    NY-NJ, Tor-MTL, Sea-Por.

He's a joke when he has to talk about MLS. And he's none-too bright talking European soccer, either.