2017 MLS Regular Season Roster Moves

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jason1551, Mar 20, 2017.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC as toast always makes me smile. Remember the early days.

I wonder if the Crew can get something with the #1 spot in the allocation order. Johannson seems on the way out at Bremen & Villafana no longer a starter in Mexico. Plus we need an intetnational slot for Santos. I think another move is likely. Else why sell Finlay for $$$$$?

2. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Finlay was already an irregular starter. With their new DP signing, Finlay would drop even lower in the depth chart. When you can get value for a non starter, it's a no brainer. Now the question of whether Finlay should be a sub on Columbus is another matter. That question also involves the Manneh trade.

3. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

DC is overpaying here big time

4. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about that.

The guy didn't finish his chances at the Gold Cup, but he generated a fair number. I thought he was fast and combined well. I think he will be a very good player for them

5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Wasn't it like $50K a year ago to pry loose allocation rights or whatever they were?

Thx,

Jay!

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Discovery rights.

JasonMa and JayRockers! repped this.
  7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas just signs Luis Gonzalez a left sided pacy winger from Venezuela who looks like he dribbles at speed. Kind of reminds me of someone who used to play here. Could they have finally replaced Castillo?

8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that. However, I have thought, & continue to think, Finlay's best spot is wingback & not as a RM/RW. His speed & work rate are there, but the decision making & technical ability waver sometimes at critical moments. Afful has been inconsistent at RB/RWB, Jimenez & Maloney have started there this year as well. If Pipa is on the way out (or when he in injured) Berhalter has played a 343 (really a 523) with two defenders as the wide mids (Raitala & Jimenez/Afful). I think Finlay would have provided much needed punch in that right wingback spot. Or even on the left where Raitala doesn't offer a ton going forward. I always thought the same towards Robbie Rogers & that worked out well for LA with him at fullback. Finlay's offensive instincts are better, but the work rate is even higher. He's a fullback/wingback for me.

Again, if you aren't going to make another move, keep him around for the PO run. Your wingbacks/fullbacks haven't been that good this year.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have long loved Justin Meram as a player, love his game in the context of MLS. And Ethan Finley, I thought, was pretty good too. I never got the USMNT calls, but he's a good MLS player. The Manneh trade didn't make any sense on paper to me. Maybe Berhalter doesn't like something about Finlay, or Finlay wanted to move to a new environment.
    There's so, so much more TAM out there now. This is how inflation works. The value of a thing goes up if the number of dollars chasing it goes up without a concomitant increase in the supply of that thing.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Official now:

Dean to Chicago from VWFC
    Maund to VWFC from RSL
    Canouse to DC from Hoffenheim (GER)

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is so Rapids

13. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

Ouch for SKC. They trade away Dwyer in order to try to get Németh then NER swoops in trades for top allocation spot and take Nemeth

14. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    I am confused.

15. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Gil is a Queretaro player on load to Orlando city. Colorado is trying to trade for Luis Gil while Orlando city gets Dillon Power.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gil is on loan to Orlando from Mexican side Queretaro. The Rapids and Orlando are trying to work a deal to send Powers to Orlando and Gil to Colorado. Queretaro says no and since they own the player it sounds like the trade's a no-go.

17. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    I get that, but I don't understand how they have a say. Isn't he technically loaned to MLS? This is not a transfer.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming the terms of the loan deal include some ability to control his location. Makes sense, they presumably want him to play in a certain system or at a team where he'll get a certain type of coaching.

Boloni86 repped this.
  19. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    That's what makes it weird. He isn't technically loaned to orlando he's loaned to MLS who allocated him to Orlando. So reality the trade doesn't really change a thing as concern Queretaro.

Makes me wonder if Queretaro doesn't understand that MLS is single entity league.

20. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    I get the sense that they understand it and it irks them to no end.

JasonMa and The Franchise repped this.
  21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Does Gill want to go to Colorado? I suspect that in his Mexican contract he is explicitly allowed to veto any trades.

22. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the Union decided to sit out on another summer transfer window. It's becoming a tradition it seems.

23. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sebastian Le Toux was available, too! Would have probably cost just a couple bags of soccer balls.

24. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Strange move when the team already has Kamara and Agudelo.

Surprised they didn't try to move Kamara back to SKC. Maybe they did.

superdave repped this.
  25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ditto that. He's 22 and already challenging Bedoya for his spot on the USMNT. You can see that he will be a very credible MLS player and has a good 8 years of prime soccer.