2017 MLS Draft

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by shawn12011, Jan 5, 2017.

1. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are some of the picks mock drafts have United taking.

Jonathan Lewis, M Akron

Though he has yet to sign a Generation adidas deal (sources tell SBI he has been offered one), Lewis is a dynamic attacking talent who D.C. would do well to jump on if he’s available. The U.S. Under-20 midfielder tied for the NCAA lead in assists as a freshman. If D.C. decides to boost its defensive depth, then a Justin Schmidt or Francis DeVries are other options.

Robert Moewes, GK Duke

Brian Wright, F, Vermont

D.C. United need to take a forward here. The 6-1 195 lb Brian Wright had 6 goals, 3 assists, and 15 points as a freshman in 2013. In 2014, Wright had 9 goals, 3 assists, and 21 points. Wright had 10 goals, 7 assists, and 27 points in 2015. So far this season, Wright has 14 goals, 12 assists, and 40 points in 2016.

Brian Wright has the kicking power and kicking accuracy on tape to be an effective striker. He's really developed as a passer this year to the point where he may be versatile enough to move to left wing or right wing. Vermont's striker from Ajax, Ontario is a very patient player that remains calm under pressure.

Brian Wright looks like a back half first round pick at this point. He may sneak into the top 10 with a dominant MLS Combine against superior competition.

Chris Nanco, F, Syracuse

The D.C. United draft a forward for depth. Chris Nanco has a lot of chemistry with 2016 first round pick Julian Buescher. Nanco would provide solid depth for the D.C. United in the second round.

Lindo Mfeka, M, South Florida

Lindo Mfeka only had 4 goals, 5 assists, and 13 points on tape in 2016. Mfeka is a guy that can play striker, secondary striker, left wing, right wing, or attacking midfielder. I think the 5-5 155 lb midfielder would get drafted more for his speed and versatility rather than anything else.

Liam Callahan, D, Syracuse

D.C. United drafts a left back for depth. Some teams have a first round grade on Liam Callahan, but others have him going undrafted. It's hard to get a read on where he ends up with him not getting an invite to the 2017 MLS Combine.

Christian Thierjung F California

Christian Thierjung is an under-the-radar prospect in this draft. A winger in a similar mold to Chris Pontius, he'd be a solid depth addition for D.C.

Murr, asitis, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  2. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc repped this.
  3. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United

Nice. Most value we've gotten out of a third round pick probably ever.

I think we'll pick the best player available as usual. Would be nice to grab a left back, but if one is not there, add quality elsewhere. With the roster almost set, if we don't grab a LB in the draft, I expect Korb or another trialist to earn that spot.

Winoman repped this.
  4. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    We need Joe Soccerfan here for some analysis.

5. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    #5 jason1551, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    DC is in a position of looking for best available talent rather than filling a specific position. Assuming Harkes is signed, I still think the team would be wise to try and sign Paddy Foss (Virginia, LB/LM) to a homegrown deal.

Barring that, I would look for the best defender available:

-I would love to see DC make a play for Chris Odoi-Atsem (Maryland, RB) because he could be groomed as Franklin's replacement, especially if Deleon isn't able to adjust full-time in that role.
    -Colton Storm (North Carolina, CB/RB) would be my second choice if we go for a RB (I predict Reagan Dunk (Denver, RB) would be long gone if we stay at #12).
    -I would also be interested in Walker Hume (North Carolina, CB) as Boswell's replacement. He's among a group of CB's, along with Francis De Vries (Saint Francis) and Justin Schmidt (Washington), that could be picked after Robinson and Brandon Aubrey (Notre Dame).

We've also got a few tradeable commodities (TAM/GAM, #12 pick, international slots, Opare/Deleon) if we wanted to move up and go for a specific player. Miles Robinson (Syracuse, CB) is probably a pipe dream, but stranger trades have happened. Shamit Shome (FC Edmonton, DM) is probably everyone's darkhorse pick, and Liam Callahan (Syracuse, LB) might play well enough in the combine to warrant a first round pick as the top left back in the draft.

DCUSA, sitruc, shawn12011 and 3 others repped this.
  6. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    And a mock drafts:

Top Drawer Soccer (best college soccer review site):
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/2017-mls-mock-draft:-version-10_aid41263

Soccer By Ives (soccer reporter that provides inside/scoop details):
    http://sbisoccer.com/2017/01/sbi-2017-mls-mock-draft-version-1-0

Draftopia (more of a novice site, but does a good review of each player and why they might fit a particular team):
    http://draftutopia.com/2017mlsmockdraft.html

I'd definitely love to check out any other mock drafts anyone else has come across.

Murr and Winoman repped this.
  7. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Edmonton an NASL team? How would he be drafted then?

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe I read that MLS bought him (or it could have been some other Canadian)

Murr and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the sights I saw suggested that attack is our area of need. I disagree. I'm with Jason we need defensive depth.

10. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  11. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Of course we need help in the attack, but there just literally are not enough defenders on the roster. So yeah, both of those things. So it will probably come down to who is the best player available when our pick comes around, or maybe we will trade it for a proven MLS player that we like for one or the other need.

shawn12011 repped this.
  12. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The draft is a good place to pick up some 3rd string depth. Rarely are the players ready to go and contribute. In this sense a good defender that can take a back seat for a season or two is the way to go.

James

GumbyG repped this.
  13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cross-posting this from elsewhere - beloved (ha) JoeSoccerFan giving some nice links for the Combine games

---------------------------------------------
    for the first time in a few years, MLS will be streaming the combine.

Here's the main link.
    The schedule of games is below (all times ET):
    Sunday, Jan. 8
    Team Chaos vs. Team Control (4:15 pm) - STREAM
    Team Copa vs. Team Nemeziz (6 pm) - STREAM

Tuesday, Jan. 10
    Team Chaos vs. Team Copa (4:15 pm) - STREAM
    Team Control vs. Team Nemeziz (6 pm) - STREAM

Thursday, Jan. 12
    Team Copa vs. Team Control (1 pm) - STREAM
    Team Chaos vs. Team Nemeziz (2:30 pm) - STREAM

-------------------------------------------

Looking forward to the age-old Control vs Kaos game myself

yabo, Q*bert Jones III, GumbyG and 2 others repped this.
  14. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Olsen tends to draft players that get into the rotation in first year. This is his draft record.

Julian Buscher # 11 - 584 minutes
    Miguel Aguilar # 17 - 528 minutes
    Steve Birnbaum # 2 - 1,890 minutes
    Taylor Kemp # 17 - 530 minutes
    Nick De Leon # 7 - 2,175 minutes
    Perry Kitchen # 3 - 2,726 minutes

I'm not expecting a starter in this draft, but I do expect Ben to pick someone that can contribute some minutes from day 1.

ElApacheTevez, Murr, jason1551 and 3 others repped this.
  15. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
  16. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    MLS paid a transfer fee for him, and then signed him to a Generation Adidas Canada contract*. Neither he nor Reid will count as internationals.

*Because of his age, he previously would have been assigned to a team via a weighted lottery. However, weighted lotteries are no longer a thing AND his signing occurred prior to the draft taking place. Eboisse is in a similar position (also playing at a professional level), having signed a contract deal with MLS last year and having to wait until the draft to play for an MLS team.

17. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    There are several other Canadian seniors that won't count as international if a USA team drafts, either.

Wright (VT), Nanco (Syr), and Awuah (CT)

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  18. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    If you are watching at work, don't forget to activate the cone of silence.

Eastern Bear, Murr, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  19. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's ok, he's posting from his shoe:

Eastern Bear and asitis repped this.
  20. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    JoeSoccerFan,

Are there any MLS level midfielders that could be converted to a MLS LB in this draft class?

Thanks.

- Murr

21. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Why not take a really good 1v1 FAST outside defender and make him your LB?

What is it with this BS of:

"Well, duh, we really need good attacking outside midfielder, so uh let's take our 4th string forward and make him an outside mid. Duh, should work"

OR

"Hey, we need an outside defender. And, boy it'd super cool if he could overlap. Lets use one of our discarded midfielders"

22. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Just when you think they can't get more Calvinbally.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  23. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
  24. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Does the LB need to be LF? If so, Kwame Awuah (UConn) may be the best LF LMF with speed and a modicum of technical skill. He's one of the Canadian that is considered domestic.

He played LB early in his career, but more recently has been more central to left sided MF.

To say MLS quality - may be a stretch, but this is a draft.

Murr repped this.
  25. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Benjamin BaerAssociate Editor, is JoeSoccerFan?