PBP: 2017 Matchday #34: Union v Orlando City SC, October 22, 2017 p/d/p

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cwelch999, Oct 15, 2017.

?

Predict The Outcome: Union v. Orlando City SC

Poll closed Oct 22, 2017.
  1. Win

27.8%
  2. Loss

38.9%
  3. Tie

33.3%
  1. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    electric eel.jpeg -sinho....1-0

2. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    target.png achieved. Congrats on the single-season record CJ ! 3-0

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  4. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can even get excited. Even though we’re running circles around the Lions. They’re sitting half their starters so this will be an empty victory to close the season.

5. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Whosaidwhat11

Whosaidwhat11 Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feels like the first time this season that Picault has actually scored on one of those breakaways...

7. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Jim re-signed for additional year for each goal we score.

8. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #34 LimeTree, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2017
    Dr. Strangeunion: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Blowout Comb.

Oh man, YES Tommy. I am HERE for your Brexit takes.

Well, well, well Ray. We meet again. :rolleyes:

10. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coach Local’s job is safer than safe after this meaningless performance.

UnionDues repped this.
  12. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to see a blowout victory, but you could see the errors the Union was making that would be exploited by playoff-bound teams. Gaddis noticeably had no clue what to do to bring the ball into the attack.

13. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well I'm glad they put on a show for the long suffering that have shown up all year. Happy for CJ too. If only they could have given us something like this when it mattered.

thomas19064, buzzkiller23 and jaykoz3 repped this.
  14. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian's song(swan).png (swan)-and many others......... On a day when they said goodbye to a Union all-timer, perfect weather and the OC cooperated to make it fun for the whole family. Nice ending for all concerned.
    This is, I do believe the best result in Philly history-and when you try to comment on the plusses...it's inevitable that you may leave somebody worth mentioning out. The epilogue is trying today in a good way.......I'll give it a try and condense it to medium meandering. Title? Best I could come up with is:

Brace Yourselves...........

Last season? this same fixture occurred with Philly having something to play for, and the Lions not a bit. Sominex city-and a 0-2 defeat. This time, neither had anything to gain.......and the Union finally performed with a sense of urgency. Soccer can be a strange game sometimes. The purple pride was clearly on sabbatical from the jump-MLS likely as well by starting a rookie official. Still; credit the U for putting on a good show. If you must fail, go out in style.

Three Stars:

*** : Marquez- in what could be his last game here, did a fine job neutralizing Orlando's attackers from the run of play

**: Pereira- in what should be his last game here, provided an early spark and set the tone.

*(MotM) : Picault- in what won't be his game here, took the game by the neck when it was there to be decided and answered in the affirmative. Likely turns the trick if he doesn't get concussed by the half.

And my medalists for 2017:

Bronze- Medunjanin.jpeg : provided most of the creativity that was to be found over the course of the season. He wasn't always on, but when he was the game flowed the best. His strikes against DC and Colorado were among my personal high-points. Solid job by the newcomer.

Silver- Bridge pong.jpeg He didn't get hurt, and the WCQ gave him some badly needed artificial rest. He's not the answer for every club, but for the way Curtsy wants to play he proved a near perfect one. 32 reg. season tallies puts him second all-time in Union history in 3 years. For a guy who only scores gimmes and uglies......... Recognition warranted.

Gold Jamaican soccer.png : Blake has been the standard for excellence with regards to this group just about since being allowed to start. Scary to think about what their point totals would be without him. I gave him more 1st stars than anybody throughout the season. Shame he lost what would have been his 10th shutout but for a silly foul. A privilege to have watched him save bacon over the course of these seasons.

OldRetiredCoach, billf, Ruud11 and 2 others repped this.
  15. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is so goddam infuriating on multiple levels ...

With nothing to play for, the team drops a 6-spot on their opponent who, coincidentally, had nothing to play for. At least give me 2 free haircuts for this.

The weather was gorgeous, there was no "competition" for the fanbase (i.e. Iggles weren't on at 1), so a paid attendance of 18.5k will only help the spin doctors.

The same record as last season, sans playoffs, but the FO will focus on the former stat and turn a blind eye to the latter.

It took for-ev-er to get into the stadium yesterday. Traffic into Lot A was a mess. The entrance gates were a logjam. Maybe it was for BC's sendoff??

I brought my boys to this game, and the Oct 1st game against Seattle. Union outscores their opponents in those games a cumulative 8-1. I lose all credibility with my kids when they hear me talk about how much this team sucks. Thanks for making me look like a liar, Philadelphia Union.

16. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That pissed me off too. Missed kickoff because of it. Maybe they had been cutting back on gameday staffing due to reduced attendance recently to save $$$ and weren't prepared for a capacity crowd?

Try taking them to a few away games if you really want to hammer home your point. You'll have to save it for a pretty ugly report card, because that would be a severe punishment for a kid.

cwelch999, drewuke, Dills and 2 others repped this.
  17. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering this myself. Couldn't tell if the security theater was understaffed or just way more people tailgating and going in last minute. Either way we missed the first two goals and didn't get in until they threw together another makeshift security line.

19. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  20. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be the guy to complain after a 6 goal performance... why the hell didn't Carroll start? Start him, then pull him after an hour to a thunderous ovation. Curtin even screwed up the sub by doing at the half when most people weren't even back in their seats to applaud. so dumb

as others have stated, I got no joy from the game. One of the camera guys for the score board typically puts me on screen going nuts after goals. Yesterday he put me on screen with arms folded with a dismissive look on my face. I couldn't even enjoy the win.

I was surprised the DNP- coach's decision guys didn't come on the field post game. only saw Herbers and Trusty. Rosenberry and Davies, along with the rest, with absent

21. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most amazing stat of the season to me:

Union Goal Differential: +3

22. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Team played to get Carroll in. Earnie told us before the match that Carroll would only come in if the match allowed it. Well, the team responded and made sure Carroll would come in; that is what this match was about (and getting the 3 points to get back to last year's total). He also said that Carroll's first year in MLS was at DC where Earnie played his last year as a pro in the US; so they overlapped and go back some time. He also implied that Curtin will stay and that many lessons were learned this year which will be implemented over the next few months....

23. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like the win was needed to secure a playoff berth, a bye in the first week, or anything else that has been unrealistic for the past couple months.

cwelch999, thomas19064 and BuddhaWake repped this.
  24. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I really enjoyed the win on the day, but reading any of these trite lines from them about "lessons," or "building" and "development" makes me turn right into the Church Lady. Oh, Jim was able to grow professionally this year?

[​IMG]

cwelch999 and thomas19064 repped this.
  25. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The Union are such assholes.

Amscray, cwelch999, BuddhaWake and 3 others repped this.