2017 Matchday #2: Union v Toronto FC, March 11, 2017 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by aztec21bas, Mar 5, 2017.

?

Predict The Outcome: Union v. TFC

Poll closed Mar 11, 2017.
  1. Win

17.9%
  2. Loss

55.4%
  3. Tie

26.8%
  1. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I thought Bedoya was OK, offsides aside. He and Herbers both fly around the place causing headaches and stretching defenders. Alberg is probably more of a pure creator, but Bedoya opens up a lot of space for everyone else and often pops up to act as an outlet for someone in trouble.

Edit: He also defends.

djramone and billf repped this.
  2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bedoya over Alberg all day... you Roland fan boys can keep writing fan fiction about him.

Handsome Pete and djramone repped this.
  3. JuggleMeBalls

JuggleMeBalls Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Formerly Sec 103
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Thoughts:
    - One point more than I dared hope we'd get out of these two. To my eyes Toronto was so much better than us last year and we played them pretty tough yesterday
    - I can't tell how much of a problem it is that Bedoya isn't really a #10( or if it is a problem at all). I mean he works his ass off and makes really, really smart passes but rarely are they forwards. Not in itself a problem as he doesn't lose possession but he rarely if ever plays that defense splitting through ball. I'm thrilled with the Medunjanin/ Jones pairing and would hate to break up success but at the same time I'd like to see what a Med/ Bedoya swap would play like. Or maybe Bedoya on right, Herbers on left, and Alberg in middle. Somehow all the pieces in the front four don't quite fit in the system.
    - Speaking of which, when Ilson Jr comes back does he start? What about Edu?
    - That Simpson finish was so good. Not sure anyone else on the roster finishes that, it was in that area between kick and header that guys get wrong more often than not.
    - I'm still a Herbers skeptic, the great pass notwithstanding. I see a lot of effort and that's good but still not an auto start for me. I realize I hold the minority opinion here.
    - Hold off on buying the Rosenberry jersey. His passing has improved and if he maintains this trajectory he could be in Europe next year.
    - Gooooch. I can think of a less than perfect moment or two but overall, wow. That's what a real pro defender can do. One of the more dominant performances from a Union CB maybe ever. Maybe we are on borrowed time but anyone wanna swap a healthy Gooch for a healthy Yaro now ?
    - Jones- what a revelation.
    - Medunjanin- Earnie done real good
    - Curtin- interesting game for grading him, team came out with a plan and executed well. Dominant first half. Second half exact opposite. I'm not smart enough to see upon one viewing why that was. I find his whining about the Jozy penalty really distasteful. For one thing we were gifted one also. That foul was outside the box all day every day from every angle. Why Bedoya took it I have no idea, clearly he wants to be the man. Hopefully the miss was an aberration. I digress, back to Curtin. I knew as soon as the league stated they were making clutching in the box a point of emphasis that this would be enforced heavily early in the season and the smart teams would take advantage. I can't say I'm surprised that we are on the bad side of one of these calls. Doesn't matter if you like it, it just is and smart coaches adapt.
    -When Blake was down from the kick to the head and the camera went to JMac I was angered anew that he is still our backup. A backup should give you SOME chance to win. Dude doesn't belong at this level.

- Don't like the capo stands one bit

Cherry Hill SOB, LuckyStriker and slitz repped this.
  4. wscottl

wscottl Member

Jun 24, 2011
    SE PA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why the Union needed to have their capo stand so tall and built by OSHA, those did not look inexpensive. What's wrong with a small landing on the other side of the railing to help keep the aisle clear? At least remove all the safety mesh so we can see.

[​IMG]

5. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hilarious that the capo stands didn't even make it past halftime.... I didn't notice any difference in participation with/without them.

billf repped this.
  6. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked at them and was shocked at the height. Did no one check the view? I giggled when I saw them being moved at halftime.

aztec21bas and thomas19064 repped this.
  7. MattyB316

MattyB316 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Delco, PA (137 H)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They were built by the Union for the SoB based off the tifo directors design. Only problem is the Union waited til the day before to build them, then built them 6+ feet taller than intended in the design.

SoB weren't able to see the finished product until an hour prior to the game at which time they told them way too tall, and they were taken down at half time due to complaints from people who couldn't see the game well.

There are already plans in progress to cut them a lot shorter

amusiccale, billf, sentrido and 2 others repped this.
  8. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the capo stands are Jewish, they should wait until the 8th day to do so. . .

9. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think I know just the contractor for the job.

[​IMG]

10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been meaning to bring in my sawzall since the stadium soft-opening/World Cup viewing party back in 2010 ... damn vomitory guardrails are too tall. They are code-compliant, but eff that noise.

billf repped this.
  11. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  12. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually relocated once, saw the new seat during the December open house and the called to move after I saw the damn guardrail blocked the view to the left.