2017 Matchday #18: Sporting Kansas City v Union, July 6, 2017 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cwelch999, Jul 3, 2017.

?

Predict The Outcome: Union v. Kansas City

Poll closed Jul 6, 2017.
  1. Win

15.4%
  2. Loss

59.0%
  3. Tie

25.6%
  1. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    883401249881604097 is not a valid tweet id

[​IMG]

well deserved.

Starpork and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  2. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can cross that off the list of things I never thought would happen. Good job, LH.

ScottyMac26 and thomas19064 repped this.
  3. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Half my Facebook news feed is posts from the team on McCarthy.

4. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Ilie Sanchez receives JUST a fine - no suspension - for grabbing Gooch's throat.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  5. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was all in good fun.
    Boys will be boys.

Maybe one of those applied in this case.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  6. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #81 mattylip, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2017
    As someone who regularly sees (and has gotten used to) conflicting decisions from different judges on identical issues, I have to to say that this is a real head scratcher (throat grabber?)

While I'm at it, I think that the league should change the rule on a red card or DisCo suspension to a suspension the next time that the player plays the team that he committed the infraction against. Otherwise, it provides an unearned benefit to a random team that just happens to be next up on the schedule.

AND, while I'm at it, I think that the PK rule should be amended so that the player fouled (like in basketball) has to take the PK. If it's a hand ball or other foul where it's not clear who "earned" the PK, then it should be up to the ref or the team can choose who takes the PK or who is closest or something. I think that would even up the the PK taking and make it more exciting.

Anyone with me??

I think that Medunjanin told the DisCo Committee that he was right there and it "wasn't that bad."

7. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me that both Baseball and Soccer hate to change the rules for fear of creating a different game. The idea being that if you make too drastic a change, the statistics will be skewed over time. I think the reluctance to add a blue card / sin bin is driven by this.

The changes you propose are not the first I would make. I actually like the idea that anyone can take the PK. It opens up the potential for a fight among the players :). I would like to get rid of the tripple offense - if a goalkeeper gets a red card - play a man down, use a substitute to get a new goalkeeper on the field, and give up a PK. That seems like too much, particularly when it was due to simulation that the Referee missed.

8. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I've always argued that the person fouled should take the penalty. It just makes sense to me. So... @mattylip for president or something.

mattylip repped this.
  9. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't necessarily need a law change for the suspension bit. That's under the control of each competition and it doesn't sound bad to me. I'd have it be the next dame plus next against the opponent. I don't like the second one.

10. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It could be a long time before that opponent was met again (or even never), the player could be transferred... you have to think of it as a sanction against the offending player's team, which is administered immediately, rather than a benefit to the next opponent. In the long run these will even out. Besides there are other 'unearned' benefits that come from the scheduling: international duty, short intervals between games for one team, long road trips, etc.