2017 Matchday #14: New York City FC v Union, June 3, 2017 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cwelch999, May 27, 2017.

?

Predict The Outcome: New York City FC v. Union

Poll closed Jun 4, 2017.
  1. Win

14.0%
  2. Loss

74.0%
  3. Tie

12.0%
  1. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Followed the game on twitter while I was at a Civil War reenactment. Sad thing was that the Union lost there, too.

Tyr, OwlSaver, CITY&UNION and 8 others repped this.
  2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize moving him to DM would put him behind Bedoya and Jones, right?

Call me crazy but, midfielders and forwards are just as prone to get injured, if not more so then defenders are.

DaMunk repped this.
  3. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    My first roadie. Was a cheap way to see Yankee Stadium. We used to make fun of RBNY and their fan base, but that looked like a Union USOC match. Maybe 10k. I spent more on my metrocard than on stub hub. What a completely overrated stadium.

I'm almost giving Curtin a pass. I even pulled a hammy reaching for my wallet for the beer vendor. Injuries suck, hopefully no one is really out or it could get ugly.

4. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Is that Union bad this year too?

lopezzzz repped this.
  5. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The streak continues.

6. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agrred, corner kicks on that skinny little field are not your grandfather's set pieces.

cwelch999 repped this.
  7. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC is like those old San Jose teams at Spartan stadium. You design your roster and strategy around the small field size and hope to play even on the road. Boring soccer.

8. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's annoying because we all know that if any other team besides NYCFC requested permission to play on a field that small, they'd be shot down in a New York minute. Afterall, NYCFC came into the league at the same time as OCSC and MLS waived the SSS requirement for NY but not Orlando.

billf and cwelch999 repped this.
  9. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Should have gone with the 4-1-3-1 formation.

Phillyspur repped this.
  10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC actually plays BETTER on the road then they do at home.......their roster is built really well actually.
    The Citrus Bowl was actually only slightly wider then the field at Yankee Stadium. Just don't tell the bitter Orlando fans that ;)

Besides, the New York City market is way more important then Disney..

DanGerman and thomas19064 repped this.
  11. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYC is a possession team and a small field is detrimental to that style hence the reason we have better results away than home. Philly wanted to clog up the field and try for a counter, NYC was wasteful in the first half and Blake made some great stops but the result was fair IMO.

12. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just picked the wrong day this year. They do a battle on Saturday & Sunday. Each side gets to "win" on one of the days. Ironic that both Unions lost on Saturday.

13. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We are officially Average. Exactly in fact.
    [​IMG]

thomas19064, cwelch999, lopezzzz and 4 others repped this.
  14. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are officially average by Union standards. That's still a couple rungs below just being average.

15. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah, we, ugh, know we're bad.

First half was dire all around, and the lead was fun while it lasted. But wasn't distraught at the expected loss. As the saying goes, nec spe, nec metu.

As a side note, does anyone know what was up with security at Yankee Stadium? I got there right at kickoff, and, for a section that was barely filled, they were loaded with overbearing security personnel telling us we had to sit in two distinct groups and weren't allowed to sit in empty seats. Haven't seen that before for visiting fans at YS. Bizarre.

DanGerman repped this.
  16. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were you sitting in the "away supporters section" or just in a regular part of the stadium?

17. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Away supporters (217). I usually sit in 211, but when the Union come to town I buy a ticket with the away support. Was just a little odd in that I'd say there were way more traveling fans last year (without incident to my knowledge), yet this year security was enforcing this odd seating arrangement. The front rows of the section were full, and then about 6-10 empty rows, following by another cluster of seating. When I went to go sit in one of the empty rows I got yelled at that we weren't allowed to sit there, but it wasn't quite clear why...

18. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Security guards at Yankee Stadium can be asshole's and not just for the soccer games although I find them to be worse for the soccer games then the baseball games. Technically the guard is right but I've seen people move to empty seats all the time and I can count on one hand the times security have said something. If you did that in a normal section I don't think you'd get any stick but because its the "away supporters section" they're more strict.

19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they can only count on one hand.