2017 Matchday #1: Whitecaps v Union, March 5, 2017 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by aztec21bas, Feb 25, 2017.

?

Predict The Outcome: Whitecaps v. Union

Poll closed Mar 5, 2017.
  1. Win

18.5%
  2. Loss

60.0%
  3. Tie

21.5%
  1. phillyunion215

Dec 31, 2010
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    post game thoughts:

1. god a hate a 0-0 dull game with no creativity/ tactics/ nothing to get me excited for the team next week except the dogfish head party deck

2. i hate a dull 0-0 game when im stuck watching the game from a laptop in the bathroom holding my girlfriends hair who has the flu (feel better babe)

3. if i get the flu from watching this 0-0 game ill be very pessimistic with the rest of this season

but otherwise ill take the 0-0 result 3000 miles... lets hope for a better result against canada next week
    ill look forward to see the progression of harris and jones
    simpson should try his luck in non league football

2. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better 2nd half. Jones hadl a good debut. Good road point and clean sheet on top of it with Rosenberry's goal line clearance of the Whitecap corner, especially since the only East teams to win were Orlando and NYRB. Simpson and Sapong did not get much service and did even less when they got it.Whitecaps pace never did punish Onyewu. Picault looks like a good sub to inject some pace or Herbers replacement if Ilsinho can not play against Toronto.

3. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    Unlike carvalle when home loses the ball he is so strong that he can easily win it back.

4. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the service going to come from for whoever Curtin selects as his lone striker?

This formation doesn't work if you don't have anyone who can link with the strikers in the final third.

5. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I regret to inform you that Dogfish is no longer in partnership with the Union.

ericlfd repped this.
  6. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The little concourse stand was open for the USWNT last Wed. It looked like the party deck was open as well.

7. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pleasantly surprised by the point. But they are not fun to watch. I think I forgot about the game as soon as it ended.

LuckyStriker repped this.
  8. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I fell asleep at half time.

cwelch999 repped this.
  9. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Watching Vancouver last night made me have empathy for the opposing team's fans having to watch the Union the last few years.

What's worse if you are Alberg? Being subbed into a game in the very last few minutes to waste time and secure a tie in the first game of the year that happens to be cross country and late at night...?

Or playing for Coach Two Subs...?

10. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 0-0 tie was pretty fair for two sides that looked like mirror images of each other. The only difference? Vancouver will be slowly working Shea & Montero into their side, while, barring Ilsin, Jr. having some monstrous impact, what we saw is what we're getting.

Pontius still seems to be the only one remotely interested in trying to create an attack, rather than hoping for one to materialize. I can't imagine how we're going to score goals with a side that is filled with defensive-minded individuals, playing a system with a lone striker. Honestly, I think we're going to be the 2010 Switzerland of MLS this year. A lot of low-scoring, bordering on boring, matches, where we try to eke out a 1-goal victory.

I'm fine with that if it works. If it doesn't, it will be brutal to sit through.

But, 1st matches are 1st matches. There is a lot of season left to to extract the creativity from these players ... if it exists.

11. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Union had a clear game plan and executed it very well. They stayed compact and neutralized an explosive Vancouver team that controlled the game and ran the counter attack very well on Thursday. I give a lot of credit to Curtin for this one. It was not pretty at times, but the Union had more of the ball, controlled the pace and gave up only one good scoring opportunity while having two decent scoring opportunities of their own. The team will be upbeat today taking the long flight back.

Getting a road point in Vancouver and not conceding a goal is an excellent way to start the season. I'm far more upbeat today than I thought I would be at this time yesterday.

jaykoz3, drewuke, SideshowBob and 5 others repped this.
  13. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It was a boring game. I'm totally OK with that, especially with the point...on the road...on the west coast! Jones looked nervy to start, but legit. Same problems as last year re: striker, and Herbers on the wing isn't the answer to anything. Bedoya is no Tranquillo--so we'll need to get something more out of him.

Cherry Hill SOB repped this.
  14. hallam

hallam Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like the last time we went into Vancouver we got handed our walking papers. This was a much more even game.

15. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely. Getting into an end to end shootout with Vancouver would have been a recipe for disaster. After Shea and Montero came in, the game got stretched a bit and that was the only time that Vancouver looked threatening. The Union then settled down, became more compact and closed out the game.

Last night, the defense played the way that it played early in the season last year when the Union were "so successful."

16. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have put Bedoya out there and moved Alberg into the 10, but what do I know?

17. nhlman10

nhlman10 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Meh
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a snooze-fest. that game was like NyQuil. this lone striker shit needs to end.........so i'm expecting a lot more of it.

18. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    At least at the end of the game to waste time going for the tie. Leave Ale in mid and put Alberg up top for one final possible outside shot at goal.

billf repped this.
  19. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a Union guy here, my apologies in advance. How did Gooch do? I saw a few highlights where he looked oafishly slow. Was that just catching him in a bad moment or is he actually cartoonishly out of his depth?

20. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Party deck is going away, I think.
    Yeah, they just made one of the fastest attacks in the league look pedestrian and largely did it by being patient and not turning the ball over. I thought the back line quietly had a really good game.
    He misplayed a ball for a corner that almost led to a goal, and jacked up Davies which was pretty hilarious. Other than that he was fine. Still moves way faster than you'd expect him to.

21. Amscray

Amscray Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Aug 24, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Jones and me look into the future
    We stare at the beautiful women
    She's looking at you, nah don't think so,
    She's looking at me

Phillyspur repped this.
  22. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #222 Phillyspur, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Mr. Jones probably wishes he played for some team just a little more funky.

Agree with the consensus - entertainment value low, but tactically a job-done, so a tentative thumbs up for Jimbo. @celt1997 nailed it when he said this is pretty much what we got. Maybe Haris will bed in and become the Nogueira replacement we wish for. No signs Bedoya is becoming that. Maybe Simpson will adjust.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  23. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Post of the day. If I knew Picasso, I'd grab myself a gray guitar and play.

Instead, I'm just watching on Satellite.........

Phillyspur repped this.
  24. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I did as well. The Atlanta game before the Union game was 200% more exciting to watch. Would not be surprised if Atlanta will finish above the Union.
    Bummer about the party deck. Hope another local brewer (Evil Genius?!) will form a partnership.

25. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neshaminy would be a good option as well.