2017 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, May 13, 2017.

1. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Possibly no Caldwell - concussion. No Watson - Jamaica.

Knighton
    Farrell, J Smith, Angoua, D Smith
    Herivaux
    Fagundez-Tierney
    Nguyen
    Bunbury-Kamara

Bench: Turner, Wright, Femi, Woodberry, an injured Kobayashi, and that's it

alternatively:

Knighton
    Farrell, J Smith, Angoua, D Smith
    Fagundez-Herivaux-Nguyen
    Femi-Kamara-Bunbury

very attacking, would be very fun to watch; DC can't score anyways...

BrianLBI repped this.
  2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Koffie called up for Ghana, so he's out as well.

3. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap, we could be dressing 15-16 players.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's OK though. There's no point in having a full roster. Or a full-time scout. Both of those comments were made by Revs fans in the last 72 hours on Twitter.

5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, the Open Cup is the most realistic chance for a team like ours to salvage something out of their season. Sure, in the later rounds the teams get better and are also the ones who are serious about it, but if we lose to Dog Crap United tonight, the only good thing I can think of is that it will be clear that the emperor is buck naked. This is all their own doing. We don't need no steeenking full roster to lose to a team even worse than us!

6. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can always borrow players from Dean College, like they did for the Desert Diamond Cup, right? ;)

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Number or age?

Revs in 2010 and BrianLBI repped this.
  9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SKC also has an issue with # of players due to call-ups and injuries. Of course, they are calling up players from their USL team to help fill the roster.

Wonder what that's like?

MM66, BrianLBI and NateP repped this.
  10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, Watson is available tonight.

11. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not get crazy now, what kind of mad world would it be if teams not only had full rosters but a stable of developing players close by, in some sort of integrated system perhaps, that could be called up at a moment's notice? Madness I say!

12. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    It's during discussions like these that I realize the Revolution's jersey sponsorship should be held by Ocean State Job Lots.

You know, on second thought, L & M Bargain Store would better fit the New England Revolution's management profile.

13. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry about the red card Jay, I have a flight to catch...

patfan1 and a517dogg repped this.
  14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have an extra ticket to tonight's USOC match at Haaavid. DM me if interested. First come, first served.

16. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game going on between FC Cincinnati and ChiFi. Great crowd and atmosphere -- good show for ESPN. Maybe this will get more exposure to the Open Cup and more national telecasts (just not from Harvard Stadium, please:eek:).

17. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a job by Mitch Hildebrandt for FCC! Great saves in regulation, then saved three of four in the penalty shootout. Thanks to ESPN for bringing this great match to us!

Jon Martin and firstshirt repped this.
  18. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It seems like American soccer fans are starting to embrace the USOC. To the Revs' credit, their run last year and the one that's building this year indicate at least a small change in the organizational view on competing. They very well might not qualify for the playoffs this year (again). Makes sense to put their eggs into the USOC basket in the hopes of winning something, and in perhaps building some momentum.

19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That dude was money last night! One of the best keeper performances I have seen in a long time. Shades of Kasey Keller v Brazil

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next round:

July 13
    New England Revolution (MLS) vs. New York Red Bulls (MLS)
    7:30 p.m. ET
    Jordan Field (Harvard University); Boston, Mass.

21. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    shades of Claudio Bravo earlier in the day ^.^

22. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it often feels like the Revs are a DII operation in a DI league, but - on paper - the revs should get into the final again. They have the Red Bulls at home in the quarters, and even in a match-up of both teams' best 11s, the Revs should be able to pull that one off. Then they would get a DII side in the semis (albeit some DII sides that have done some impressive things in the Open Cup this year). The reality is the Revs are winning nothing in the league this year. This is our only hope, and it is RIGHT THERE. I so have my fingers crossed that the Revs can beat NYRB in the quarters and then get hosting rights for the semi's and finals.

The only thing that disturbs me is that an Open Cup Final Run/Title could save Heaps' job. Unless they completely go into the tank in the league, they are not going to fire him in the middle of the season. If they fail to make the playoffs or even just squeak in and get bounced right away, the only way I see Heaps saving his job is if they get back to the final of the Open Cup, and he might not be saved unless they win it. But as much as I want to move on from the Heaps Era, I'd really like a trophy.

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see no way that the Revs host the semis. It would be four straight at home without a road game and I don't think that's going to happen.

I'm actually curious if we'd even get the Final at home? I could see both the semis and finals on the road ... UNLESS we play FCD in the Finals again. Would USSF make us play a third USOC Final at Dallas? I don't know...

24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #74 RevsLiverpool, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    The Krafts need to look at this in context of his overall numbers which aren't great - we have an entire thread about that. Is a USOC finals appearance (or even a win) enough to re-sign Heaps to another contract? With coaches the caliber Bradley, Kinnear and Sigi still available, I don't think so. In fact, I could easily see them hiring Kinnear since he is effectively Stevie Nicol with more trophies.

Isn't it based on a draw? Does regular season record come into play a all? If it's truly random, it wouldn't matter about anything else that happened in the past in terms of hosting the final.

Personally, I would rather see a non-MLS club host the final. Specifically, Cincinnati. They are on a great run right now and the general American sports public loves a good Cinderella story. Having ESPN or someone cover the story of a Cinderella run to the USOC title by a lower division team for the first time since 1999 could be in the best interest of the tournament's publicity which is a win for US soccer at large. It would be even better if the final was against the revs because it would effectively embarrass the Krafts on the national stage that a D2 team is averaging nearly 20k this season while the revs are averaging just over 17k through week 17.

It would be icing on the cake if Cincy draws over 30k to the final when the revs struggle to do that more than one or two times a year.

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly yes to A and no to B.