2017 LA Galaxy II (Los Dos) Season

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Dr.Phil, Jan 5, 2017.

1. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a dipshit.

TrickHog and Beirut repped this.
  2. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Come on guys, keep it under 9!

TrickHog repped this.
  3. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see the game but the low lights... Embarrassing defending so bad

4. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    4-3 win. I think the kids are with the U-18s. Dhillon never impresses me but he always performs. Otherwise, meh.

TrickHog repped this.
  5. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Dhillon gets another goal. Again, he's doing what's asked of him, but I still think he's going to be Jack McBean.

Adrian Vera with an Adrian Vera kind of goal. He sits on the left when the ball is on the right and tends to get forgotten by the defenders. Ball gets crossed over and he has a good shot. Credit to him that he is a good finisher, but again I'm worried about the upside against better defenders.

Lopez looked the best I've seen him this year.

skydog repped this.
  6. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Turnley had a solid game, the second half of the season will be a test for him and will show us if he is able to play with the first team.

Castellanos is still solid in the air but sometimes too easily beaten, like on the second goal.

Vera had two goals given by the Portland defense, but a mediocre game otherwise.

Dhillon is a very good athlete with a few skills but not a great finisher. That said, the fourth goal ended a beautiful collective play from our team, and a very nice run from him.

And I still can't stand Sneddon. The first Portland goal was just terrible goalkeeping.

TrickHog repped this.
  7. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jamieson at forward. It's worth a try. He isn't doing it wide so maybe give him more chances up top.

Looks like more of the G1.5 players so the kids aren't there.

8. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What has happened to Mendiola. He looks as lost at G2 as he did at G1

9. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't know what's going on with him. His assist was amazing but he keeps messing up his opportunities. Jamieson as well. My assumption was that we saw the "senior" junior players because Sigi wanted to observe them. Interesting to see what he does.

10. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Sigi was reportedly on the bench and participated in the roster selection, so he clearly wanted to see this group in those positions. My guess is he wanted to see Diallo at center back (since JVD will be out for a few games at least) and he wanted to see both Mendiola and Jamieson.

Incidentally, the GIIs should benefit from JDS' arrival since they'll likely get both Jaime Villarreal and Mendiola more often.

11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This is the kind of proactive action that elevates a coach like Sigi over "details be damned, wishful thinking" Curt.

TrickHog repped this.
  12. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Someone who’s watched more games than I can probably counter this, but I don’t think he’s looked the same after he got clobbered in the Sacramento game during GII’s inaugural year.

13. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No specific evidence for this but my theory is that when Bruce brought him up to the big team, they basically neutered him and had him sit back and play defense to let the more senior players push the attack. I understand it from the team perspective but I think he internalized the message that his job is defense first and then creativity second. The problem is that he (and Jose Villarreal) are basically playmaking forwards and that's it. If we're not going to use them in that position, which may be it reasonable not to, it's probably time to move on.

LEM-LAG, WarGalaxy and TrickHog repped this.
  14. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    ProudNatRN, WarGalaxy and MPNumber9 repped this.
  15. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not surprised. He's the probably the best player in our entire academy.

3rd best move our organization has made this year behind signing Alessendrini and firing Curt.

Beakmon FC repped this.
  16. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big move. I am glad we got him signed.

17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's great news.

18. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Alvarez was born on June 19th, 2002.

2 days after the US knocked Mexico out of the 2002 World Cup.

We old.

shurikt, Beakmon FC, skydog and 5 others repped this.
  19. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    WarGalaxy and TrickHog repped this.
  20. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    TrickHog and Benny Dargle repped this.
  21. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Just finished the 1-1 draw against Oklahoma. It must be the best game of the season for Los Dos so far, but this is not surprising when you play Villarreal instead of Zanga, Lassiter and Mendiola instead of Vera and Jonathan Hernandez, and BJIV up top in place of Zubak. A lot more passes and give-and-go in the final third.

Kempin once again very solid. Smith and Turnley did OK. Diallo is just decent at the USL level, how would he be good in the MLS? Arellano had once again a very solid game at CB, and Castellanos looked OK at his side.

Lassiter scored a good goal but also conceded a penalty. Still a mixed bag but he's exactly the guy who should have had more time with G2 this year.

Mendiola was very, very, very active and had a great assist but was also a turnover machine. I completely agree with Baysider, he and Villarreal are 9 1/2. Jose is at least number 3 or 4 in the depth chart and Mendiola is behind him...

BJIV looked like BJIV. You can see the talent is here, but for one great play there are tons of lost balls. I'm still torn on him, I think he has made almost zero progress during the last two years, but he's still two years younger than McBean and Lassiter, so it may be worth it to give him more chance.

Dhillon is a little bit useless when your team is trying to play soccer and not hitting long balls repeatedly.

MPNumber9, profiled and WarGalaxy repped this.
  22. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    The thing that has probably helped Diallo considerably in making the senior roster this year, besides Onalfo's experience with him and his French connection with Alessandrini, is his versatility. He can play anywhere on the backline, which we certainly have needed this year at times even if the level is only barely passable.

In fact, that is where Payeras is more limited. Much better center back, but as far as I know he can only play there. In MLS, you can't really get away with more than backup one center back who can only play center back unless you have some midfielders who can easily slot in at outside back.

23. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I agree on Diallo's versatility. But we already have one player who can play anywhere in the backline and who has been a lot better than Diallo : Romney. I won't be shocked if he starts next year.

What I would do for our back line next year :

RB : Van Anholt starts if he's as good as he was against Seattle. Keep Rogers at a low salary or bring back Sean Franklin? And maybe keep Smith because he's versatile.

CB : new CB to replace Van Damme to pair with Romney or Steres, with the other on the bench alongside Arellano and possibly Payeras.

LB : new LB to replace Cole + one cheap guy to be the back up, because Romney and Arellano can also play there although it's not ideal. I won't be surprised if this guy is Josh Turnley.

Au revoir Diallo, better players everywhere and we save an international roster spot.

24. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Move Rogers back to LB if hes healthy.

25. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's a good idea. But boy, his injury sounded bad. Has anyone heard an update?