2017 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by StevenLa, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Are results facts? Player turnover? Losing 2 assistants suddenly? Reputation of the whole program is rotten. Mike baker is pretty well connected in the north east and hasn't been shy in conveying what happened to him. Pitt Seat is Hot.

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UAPB identifies Marcus Hoover as its "Interim" Head Coach. So, for now at least, he's the Head Coach.

3. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    What happened to Jamie who left UAPB for Washburn and got fired within 5 months? Would UAPB take him back since he was successful there before?

4. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I've been unable to confirm the exact details of what went down. Jamie was not really given a thorough explanation or reason for his forced departure, to my knowledge. Also, when someone gets terminated at this point, without having coached a game, your mind wanders to inappropriate or immoral things, but to my knowledge that did not occur here. I have heard two stories as to his termination, again can't confirm either, but seem semi-logical:
    1) His Assistant (she has a sister on the team) basically backhanded and screwed him (I don't have details as to what went down, but this has been the most consistent story)
    2) He was threatening the scholarships of current players on the roster almost immediately, and admin caught wind of it, and wasn't going to tolerate it.

A search is underway now at Washburn, with phone interviews starting this week. Most in the region hope that the Assistant (whether she had any involvement or not) is not promoted, though that's the convenient thing to do. I know they had a DI assistant as the other finalist the first time around, but the pool of interested applicants is probably a little smaller in June, though I know some quality people that have applied due to location and proximity to KC.

As for UAPB, it's kind of funny because while on the roster page it lists Marcus Hoover as "Interim Head Coach" the main soccer page still has "Head Coach Jamie Hutchinson" on there...there's a SWAC school for you. While I wouldn't put it past UAPB to consider rehiring him, I highly doubt that will happen. First off, why would you hire someone who jumped ship at the first possible opportunity, even with a young, good roster intact? If you care at all about loyalty or student-athlete well-being why would you hire back a coach or want to play for a coach that up and left, and furthermore, was almost immediately removed from his new position, no matter what the circumstances? To be clear, I don't fault any coach in this profession from leaving, ever, it's your career and you're free to do what you want. It's a business, and I don't fault Jamie leaving UAPB for Washburn, just like I don't fault KD for leaving OKC for Golden State. No one should judge anyone for a better career, personal, or family move, however, if I were an administrator, I wouldn't hire someone who recently left right back, especially given the circumstances. (Again, wouldn't totally shock me if UAPB did...and there is some precedent, if you're interested google Alabama Softball Coach Patrick Murphy leaving for LSU and his subsequent return days later).

All that said, as I posted previously, Hoover is going to be the coach at UAPB at least for this fall, despite some other faculty members and coaches questioning his fitness and overall ability to do so. Most of us in the region are shocked they didn't even post the job, and furthermore hired him, but it was a cost-saving move. As I've stated before, the roster is intact, and I believe they will challenge towards the top-third of the SWAC again just based on talent alone in a paltry conference. But I do see a precipitous drop off in the next few years for that program, just based on recruiting alone. It'll be interesting.

5. iloveny

iloveny Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Dear Lord saladking, why do you insist on setting yourself up to get your arrogant beady-eyed face bashed in some more?! You should have been canned by now from those horrible results every year but you may have been overlooked through the A D changes. Wait, what is your record overall? Maybe you will be spared again with improvement since you can't get any worse...oh, and by the way, all ACC teams are now as "young" as yours.

I found this in an older post for anyone wanting to know SOME FACTS on Miller's character to get you up to speed:

"The fact that players were cut isn't the whole issue, but the manner in which is was done. It was also the treatment to my friend's daughter and her fellow teammates that needs to be heard. Here are some more incidences from my source:

*multiple players spoke of a board that hung in his office with all player's names on it and he would tell these players in "secrecy", individually, how this one is not going to be around long, I don't want this one, etc. This is how a team gets divided, when each is told in "secrecy", not knowing others know the same information also. Early on, most players knew 11-13 girls were going to be cut. This was a secret to the leaders, who felt the need to alarm players to be able to set up transfers or the like.

*she also said one of Miller's remarks to that group was something like you're all I have to work with and was always degrading and negative.

*collection of the gear within a day of the final game is a FACT. Which means Miller ASSumes there was no Big East tourney for them, or atleast hoping there wasn't and was anxious to collect all gear after this final game,which was SENIOR DAY, and doesn't let his seniors start. Who doesn't start their seniors on Senior Day, especially in a program like Pittsburgh's? So to him the game meant nothing but let's give one more slap to the face. NO RESPECT TO YOUR SENIORS OR YOUR TEAM!!! Shame, shame, shame!"

*and the exact number who wanted to leave = 0

6. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Since we are still on the hot seat thread and preseason is looming what other programs are we looking at that could be hot? Especially mid majors which aren't in the same spotlight:

I think Ft Wayne could be in trouble based on how the program seemed to be doing well prior to the coaches arrival.

It was mentioned Rodgers was struggling at Ohio is this still on the cards?

Staying in the MAC Akron finished last and don't seem to be improving and Toledo used to be a good program. I don't think any of these seats are hot but warm perhaps to get some results this fall?

Horizon League: Green Bay have been poor since the coaching change.

Missouri Valley: Missouri State finishing dead last can't be good.

These are all in addition to the usual candidates Pitt, Syracuse, Oregon etc

Any additions or any of these that are maybe not as warm as first sight may suggest?

7. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I miss you guys just wanted to rev up the bus for old time sake lol

8. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Iloveny thanks for all the hard work you put in to dig up fake news So easy to rattle you guys cage lmao You should be a story teller

9. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Yeah I did hear about that It's on Fire ⚠️☔️

10. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I guess we have all stated why Pitt is on the hot seat. What has the program achieved in your opinion that keeps the coach safe there? Last coach was fired for being incompetent and Miller has not been any better perhaps worse.

11. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Who knows maybe the administration knows something we all don't know If they had the information that is often shared on here it only makes sense that they would have acted a long time ago ⚽️Only time will tell H2Bigsoccer fact checkers

12. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

So in your opinion why is Miller not on the hot seat then? Except for an administration that hasn't pulled the trigger yet?

13. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014

Agree with Ft. Wayne....the guy there has been a pompous a-- since his arrival, and it shows in how he coaches, how he recruits, and how he retains players. Previous coach was much more humble and didn't try to "fool" the kids into thinking that he knows what he's talking about. I've seen him work camps. Poser! He should be gone!

Akron is too new...I think so is Toledo, got to give them more of a chance.

UWGB...frankly, do they care? At least she continues to "want" the job, so give her more time.

Don't know enough about Mizz St

Pitt, Syracuse, Oregon, Texas, Houston (although, he may be pretty new as well), Sam Houston St (yikes)...I'm sure there are more.

14. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I think it was mentioned Texas coach somehow got a new deal. Despite their awful finish in the big twelve.

Interesting to know about Ft Wayne.

I think the Houston coach is new so I think that job is safe.

I agree with Akron and Toledo being relatively new. Think those coaches will probably need to show some progress this year.

Then again, if any of these coaches fear for their jobs they just need to use the "we are young" excuse like Pitt does every time and they will be fine.

15. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The other one I forgot to add from power five is Amy at Indiana. Really like her as a person but she has not improved the program at all. She isn't a good coach as anyone who has coached camps with her can attest and her boss at auburn echoes this statement to friends in the coaching world. I'm guessing that seat may be warm right now. The assistant coach Sergio is a top guy and if the axe were to fall I'm hoping he would have the chance to push the program forwards.

16. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Any idea on the situations at Michigan State and also Seton Hall? Both are in good soccer areas. Wonder what the contract terms are for the respective head coaches. Seton Hall not much to show since Stainton arrived. Michigan State does have some success a number of years ago under Saxton but it's been while since they have been to an NCAA Tournament.

17. wvalx2001

wvalx2001 New Member

Crystal Palace
    England
    May 9, 2017
    Hearing the Marist assistant coach will be named HC.

18. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team actually is trending upward at this point, so it's premature to say she has not improved the program at all.

19. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Could have made that move a month or two ago....candidate pool must have been poor!

20. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Interesting that they are trending upwards. Soccertrustee mentioned seton hall and Michigan state do you know how their trends are out of curiosity?

21. Walter Mitty

Walter Mitty New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    When talking about the kids that were let go from Pitt, why does nobody mention the fact that these players are the ones who got the previous coach fired? Their poor level of play lead to a 2-13-4, 1-8-3 record in 2011 which was good for LAST PLACE in the Big East, which doesn't hold a candle to the ACC. Their poor play got Sue-Moy Chin fired. I don't know MIller but what is he supposed to do, keep the players that produced this horrible record and bring them with Pitt to the ACC? Are you crazy?

All of you, ask yourselves honestly, would you keep a squad intact that went 2-13-4 in the Big East and was soon headed to the ACC? Be honest. As Sue struggled in her last few seasons, she was over-paying for under-talented recruits, meaning, these under-achieving players were taking up a LOT of scholarship $$$. If I was Miller, who main purpose in this life is to provide for his family (which is made easier by keeping your job) I would have sent a lot of these players packing too. That is me being honest. I would have then set out to attempt to recruit ACC level talent, and if this is not possible, I would at least look to improve my talent beyond the LAST PLACE group of talent in the Big East. Miller would need the scholarship money tied up in these underachieving players to try to go get better talent, so they had to go. These players were done a disservice by Sue-Moy Chin by being brought into an environment that they weren't good enough to compete in, in the first place.

Now, please, take a deep breath when you read this and unlike politics in 2017, try to consider both sides of this before you blow your top. How many of you think that an 18-22 year player and her parents (please consider how many soccer parents we all know that are nuttier than squirrel poop) who would calmly accept the fact that they are not good enough to play at Pitt in the Big East and certainly are NOT good enough to play at Pitt in the ACC and politely accept their dismissal from the team? Honestly, Miller could have hand delivered a bouquet of roses to each family and in the most endearing and humble way possible inform them that they are not good enough and he needed to go get better players (Better than the players that finished LAST in the Big East) and do you think anyone was going to take that news well and not claim how poorly there dismissal was handled or fight the dismissal to a point where things had no choice but to get ugly?? Please, I beg you, raise your hand if you honestly believe this news, which was painfully true could ever be taken well and acceptingly by a set of parents and a young player who just had her dreams crushed? No chance, Sue-Moy Chin should've NEVER put these under-qualified players in this position.

These players Eddie K defends, I'm sure they are wonderful people, I hope they have tremendous lives that are much bigger than this small world of College Soccer, but they were awful soccer players!!! It's a fact, they went 2-13-4, 1-8-3 in the Big East. Their poor play got their coach fired, that's part of their legacy. It would've been hard enough to rebuild Pitt in the Big East, next to impossible in the ACC (oh, plus ND is joining the ACC too, enjoy that Pitt). These players not only had to go, they never should've been there in the first place.

MAGA DTS! repped this.
  22. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Saxton was given an extension a few years ago which is supposed to go up until he can retire in a couple of years, once that happens they are giving the associate head coach the job. They are the epitome of "we don't care" up there in East Lansing, which is disappointing because that could be a good program.

Someone mentioned Oregon as well. Like Texas, she was given a contract extension last year so that seat should not be warm.

23. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I actually know KM at UO, and really like her, but don't be fooled into thinking either of these schools are safe, no matter what their contract extensions say or don't say. With the success piling up across the other women's sports at UO (Softball, Volleyball have made deep runs, not to mention track/xc) there is more pressure on the team to perform now more than ever. I think the staff there really feels like this year will help them turn the corner, but we will wait and see...just don't think a contract extension makes you safe, it doesn't.

As for AK at UT, I would be very nervous now that Waldrum is on the market. Not that the UT AD/SWA has any idea who that is, but a lot of people feel like that job is lining up for him, unless they can turn things around in Austin this year. Also, if you look at the language of her new contract (I believe it was posted in the 2016 thread, and is also freely available online) it lacks neither the years or the buyout amounts (similar to the UK assistant that got promoted) that other big-time contracts have. Pretty interesting.

24. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I can't speak on the gear collection part, though surely a place with a budget like Pitt shouldn't have to collect a lot of the gear they give out...but as for the "starting seniors on senior day" argument, it's absurd. I get that a lot of programs do it, but to say a guy deserves to be ousted in part because he doesn't play his seniors on senior day, even when he can't make the tournament is ludicrous! I don't know the guy, and won't try to defend his record, but this isn't high school or club soccer...it's a business, and a livelihood for college coaches. To insinuated that college coaches "owe" it to their seniors to play them, even in a game that "doesn't matter" to the standings, is ridiculous. Maybe he was/is on the hot seat and needed to win the game and thought the team he fielded gave him the best chance to win? Maybe he wanted to see what he had for next year, and which players he needed to keep and which he needed to let go? Maybe the seniors were part of the problem, were entitled and had bad attitudes? Again, I'm not going to stick up for him, his other behavior, or poor record, but to insist or even suggest that not playing seniors on senior day is a reason to fire someone is crazy.

outsiderview and Walter Mitty repped this.
  25. cali.soccer

cali.soccer Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Playing Seniors on senior day....that's funny. Usually those games are conference games, and may mean something to the program. So those Seniors need be part of the program, not themselves. Also taking gear can sometimes be a State property thing not personal. Also if Baker is so well liked, and connected, why is he not coaching college anywhere?