2017 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by StevenLa, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I think having a large body of proof of success is an important indicator yes.

2. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Sorry to disappoint, but not the way it went down.

Fitballer and outsiderview repped this.
  3. Kraude1316

Kraude1316 New Member

Southampton
    United States
    Dec 14, 2017
    What jobs are open currently?

Also who is on the hot seat for this upcoming year?

4. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Sandy Davison to Indiana from WA State- as assistant

Fitballer repped this.
  5. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Untrue statement, NN was shocked and basically applied for every open job HC and assistant positions. I think it is a great hire, find someone under 35 that has accomplished as much as him. I have seen a tremendous amount of support on social media from college coaches all around the country and everyone speaking of his character. In the world we are in today I think we need more people in the profession with success and high character instead of those who pull scholarships from kids, treat players poorly, or are off picking up hookers on their recruiting trips.

Fitballer repped this.
  6. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014

Ask those Liberty kids he recruited and signed about NN's character and integrity!

MRAD12 repped this.
  7. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #1457 Holmes12, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    That's absolutely what happened. Why would she stall a couple of months after the season? To put ND in a position. Staying at home takes a lot of mulling and planning, like a year.

If I was ND AD, I would have seen this and hired Greg Miller or Fran Kulas out of spite.

8. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004

That's not at all what happened. It was a surprise to everyone, Nate included. Do you just think this stuff up and then pass it off as fact?

Fitballer repped this.
  9. Angry Leprechaun

Feb 22, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes. He should have stayed at Liberty forever because there would always be an incoming player he recruited that he had to see through to graduation. Can you feel my eyes rolling?

10. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Elon has named Texas Tech Assoc. Head Coach Neil Payne as their Head Coach

11. TheBigDawg

TheBigDawg New Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Kulas! Hahahahaha. Be serious. This isn’t a NT Job where the objective is to find the coach with the most losses. And by the way, TR was forced out. Wasn’t even invited to their banquet. NN was a shoe in. Read the release. He was roommates in college with the ND men’s coach. Both played for the legendary Bobby Clark. Alum. Head coaching experience. This is a good hire. He will have them back in the top 5-10 in short order.

Fitballer and Angry Leprechaun repped this.
  12. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #1462 Holmes12, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    You don't reside in Nate Norman's brain. Only two people know, otherwise, looks like a duck, walx like a, whatever the rest is. Again, leaving that job for stay at home is no hasty decision, no "surprise". Has to be planned out, including the accountant. I call b.s. She could have announced the day after the season. The day before the season (this will be my last). Why not? No, circumstantially, and your blind faith is less than that, I watch Perry Mason, this is collusion on an egregious scale. He was told, in the least, she was strongly considering it. high probability.

Liberty isn't exactly the bottom of the D1 barrel. They throw a lot of cash out for a non-P5. I don't blame him, of course he has the right. All women's soccer coaches outside the 20 or so P5 college cup contenders (and Ivy) sell a bill of goods in their minds. To do the one and done routine, though, it does reveal deeper character (Petrino, etc) and what would draw a coach to do that?

Dawg, of course he was a shoo-in. That was the point, especially stalling to suppress the interview/candidate pool. Regarding Kulas, I would have done any stiff who'd come cheap, easy and quickly. All the soccer selling is the ND brand anyway, not Nate or Kulas. Anybody can run the drills. But i'd stick it to the colluders or colludors or planners. It is what it is, just saying what I would do if i was Jack Lengyl or whatever the AD's name is.

13. Angry Leprechaun

Feb 22, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Why make the TR change a couple of weeks before signing day and risk losing the incoming class with no coach named? The fact the 5 National Team players didn't bail because there was literally no coach in place speaks volumes about Notre Dame and their brand which some on these threads have declared dead for Warner climes. LOL.

As an AD I would never allow a coach who resigned to attend the alumni dinner unless they literally retired from coaching. Sorry, your conspiracy evidence doesn't hold water to me.

Too many tin foil hats on these threads, but it keeps the discussion lively I guess.

14. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As you stated "you don't reside in NN's brain" so how can you comment on his departure from Liberty. Maybe he didn't like the taste of the cool aide they are serving there and saw Notre Dame as a way to get out of a situation that was not great. Liberty itself may not be the bottom of the D1 barrel, but the conference they are in sure is. They have tried and tried to find a bigger and better conference for the sake of FB but one one will take them.

15. Kraude1316

Kraude1316 New Member

Southampton
    United States
    Dec 14, 2017
    Any news on what's available or what might be available next year!

16. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #1466 Holmes12, Feb 23, 2018
    Exactly. It's the Notre Dame brand. Coach is irrelevant in this sport. Outside of maybe Dorrance who has name recognition with parents. Where are the recruits gonna go a couple of weeks before LOI, North Carolina? Like a revenue kid?

I don't get this about the dinner but it is your "if I was" anyway. No need to apologize, your claim of the unknowing NN and the "sudden" decision to walk away from an easy, six figure salary doesn't hold water for me either. It's a...wash. buhehehe.

17. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I didn't claim to be. I said everything is circumstantial and when applying the duck test...it comes out more like this was planned out.

18. SoIdontgetfined

SoIdontgetfined New Member

May 13, 2016
    Can we get this back together?

35 Open / 27 Filled

Portland
    - Michelle French (USWNT Assistant Coach)
    UConn -
    Margaret Rodriguez (UConn Associate Head Coach)
    William & Mary - Julie Shackford (FC Virginia DA Director)
    James Madison - Joshua Walters (UCLA Associate Head Coach)
    Pitt
    - Randy Waldrum (Former Houston Dash Head Coach)
    UMass
    - Jason Dowiak (South Florida Associate Head Coach)
    Arkansas Little Rock - Mark Foster (South Alabama Assistant Coach)
    Army
    - Adrian Blewitt (Arkansas Little Rock Head Coach)
    Miami (OH)
    - Courtney Sirmans (Rice Assistant Coach)
    East Carolina
    - Jason Hamilton (Mississippi State Associate Head Coach)
    Richmond
    - Marty Beall (High Point Head Coach)
    Towson -
    Katherine Vettori (Director Vettori Soccer Academy)
    Austin Peay - Naomi Kolarova (Tennessee Wesleyan Head Coach)
    Northwestern State -
    Jess and Anna Jobe (Dallas Baptist Assistant Coaches)
    South Dakota
    - Michael Thomas (Cal State Fullerton Associate Head Coach)
    New Mexico State -
    Rob Baarts (San Jose State Assistant Coach)
    Marist - Leigh Howard (Bucknell Assistant Coach)
    Incarnate Word - Emma Wright-Cates (Owner of Pass & Move LLC)
    Youngstown State
    - Brian Shrum (Duquesne Associate Head Coach)
    Prairie View A&M -
    UMBC -
    Vanessa Mann (William and Mary Assistant Coach)
    Fairfield -
    David Barrett (Illinois Wesleyan Head Coach)
    North Dakota State -
    Michael Regan (Indiana Assistant Coach)
    Arkansas Pine Bluff -
    High Point -
    Brandi Fontaine (High Point Associate Head Coach)
    Cal State Bakersfield - Sabastian Vecchio (Texas Christian Assistant Coach)
    Murray State - Matt Lodge (Murray State Assistant Coach)
    Northern Illinois -
    Miami (FL) -
    Mount St. Mary -
    Elon -
    Niel Payne (Texas Tech Associate Head Coach)
    Notre Dame - Nate Norman (Notre Dame Assistant Coach)
    Michigan -
    Southern Illinois -
    Montana -

19. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    Only 6 coaches with head coaching experience hired, 4 with d1 experience. Trend?

20. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    That's one way to look at it. Another is - it's a pretty huge decision to 'bail' when you've been committed for more than two years and have been preparing to go to Notre Dame. Yes, being NT players, these girls would've had interest from all the top programs, but it's more complicated than that. All the top programs already have their money committed. So - keep the full ride at ND, or decommit and go to UNC or UCLA on whatever scraps are left over? I've seen tons of coaching changes down the years, and while some kids do decommit, lots don't.

Eddie K and ytrs repped this.
  21. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Completely agree. These kids have a lot invested, really don't have many options (okay, Pitt or Miami happen to have openings you think) but you have to think ND is pretty likely to get a pretty good coach. Maybe even better than the one leaving (in any case, some would have that view). And if these players are that good already, how much coaching do they really need?? ;)

I think the test is whether the new coach can keep the talent coming. What happens to the 2019 and 20 classes will be telling as those kids have plenty of time to "look around".

I wanted to add I think it's also hard to blame anyone who wants to return to their alma mater. He's clearly about the Christian environment and played at ND. I feel bad for the Liberty kids too (3 coaches in 4 years I think) but it IS Notre Dame.....for God's Sake!

outsiderview repped this.
  22. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Maybe a lot of head coaches are happy with where they are and having a job so don’t apply elsewhere?? Interesting observation for sure.

The Notre Dame hire I really think Nate will be great. When we look at a lot of the big name Coaches in D1 Soccer most have been around a long time like Anson or Randy. I think Nate is someone who could in 15-20 years time be one of those staple names. Or he could become the next Greg Miller and Phil Wheddon :)

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1473 MRAD12, Feb 23, 2018
    Was TR disliked by the players or something? I rarely missed a ND home game for almost 18 years and then Morgan Andrews left the program and there was something there that didn't add up to me. I've been to games in the last couple of years but not as many as I have in years before and that's due to personal factors, but I'm curious as to what actually happened that TR left? I don't always buy the "I'm leaving because of family" stuff. Often there is more to it than that, IMO.

MaldiniThomas repped this.
  24. OGSoccerCoach

OGSoccerCoach Member

May 11, 2017
    Miami’s issue is the salary. Not even in the ballpark with the rest of the ACC. I would dare say that it’s the lowest paying job in the conference.

25. OGSoccerCoach

OGSoccerCoach Member

May 11, 2017
    But not NDs 1st choice. I have it from a good source that a prominent P5 head coach turned the job down.