2017 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by StevenLa, Mar 10, 2017.

1. girlsruleboysdrool

girlsruleboysdrool New Member

Fire
    Brazil
    Apr 3, 2017
    Probably should have had it the first go around, but the pool was too big. I agree, easy hire now!

And, time sensitive.

2. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    What's the point of having a small list of preferred schools? Why limit the choices--and good grief, I should think the Canadian players have their own thoughts about where they'd like to go to school and play soccer.

3. bigwest

bigwest Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    maybe the Canadian Staff prefers how some specific coaches/schools train their kids, and how those coaches will work with them on schedules, etc.. Its the same thing as why the US national teams tend to recruit players from certain clubs and not others. etc..

4. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    That may be the stated reasons, but I would think there is probably some politics, "hook up my friends" behind it as well. The US Staff is notoriously "friendly" with their "friends."

MAGA DTS! repped this.
  5. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I agree. They could easily send their kids to a way better school academically that also has great coaching staff and for sure better facilities.

Are we getting close enough to do a pretty comprehensive list of hot seat candidates for the fall yet?

6. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Exactly right! A great school with great coaches and great facilities that can showcase these players in the College Cup is the perfect place for these National Teamers.....a place just like West Virginia University!

7. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I said great academics, coaches, and facilities. I give WVU 1 of 3. They don't have great academics or facilities. Soccer facility is average at best.

8. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #108 Holmes12, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    UCF, not yet but trending down, will be interesting. I would think with her NT experience, connections, that she could recruit. We talk about FSU, WVU, but check out all the foreigners Tiff is recruiting. For a former US NT, it's revealing. I think staff nepotism and disingenuous vibe worx against. People will point to competing for third behind Florida and FSU but they should be recruiting on par with previous regime in their bush conference. Tiff kinda makes me think of Pugh foregoing CC and the shelf-life for NT players. Even Tobin is yesterday. The names come and go fast.

Wake - assistant takes unwinnable Rhode Island HC.

9. kickithard

kickithard Member

Jan 14, 2004
  10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laura Schott has resigned at Portland State. I have the feeling she wants to spend more time with family.

11. grasskamper

grasskamper Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I noticed on Michigan's website that Dean Duerst is no longer the Associate coach. Did he take a head job? Duerst and Ryan go back a long, long way.

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I now have Arkansas Pine Bluff, Grambling, Marist, and Portland State as open positions.

13. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Dean is out of coaching

14. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Which assistant? If it is the English guy that may be a loss for Indiana state as it seems he's the one that coaches the team and gets them going. Maybe it is the accent that makes him sound wise. Those Brits use that card pretty well. In all seriousness if that is who UAB are hiring as an assistant it sounds like a good hire.

15. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The accent impressing parent's thing always reminded me of the moment Mrs. Costanza meets Donna Chang face to face. So much for the advice.

16. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    UAPB has finally made the decision that they are going to promote their GA (now listed as Interim Head Coach) after all. They'll make the move as soon as the new budget year starts. Most in the region are shocked by that decision, but it is a cost-cutting one. The team in place is good enough to still make a run in the SWAC, regardless of who the coach is.

Grambling has hired Justin Wagar, though it has not officially been announced. It's his 4th job in as many years, and second new job this off-season. Left DII New Mexico Highlands in 2014, was at Eastern Oregon the past two seasons, before being named the Asst. Coach and Recruiting Coordinator at Portland State in January. He literally left PSU last week, so I wonder if that's related to Schott leaving, and if not, if he would try to go back since his family is still there (I think). Or if he was already told he isn't getting it? If he stays at Grambling, I think it's a good hire, he's had success recruiting the same kind of kids that he can at Grambling, and it doesn't take much to contend in that conference. I think there were only 6-8 kids around after the Spring, but I bet they'll be "competitive" in the SWAC this Fall, and maybe make a run in a year or two in the weakest conference in America. Interesting timing in regards to the PSU opening...if Wagar didn't know about it, that is really poor/unfortunate timing for him. PSU is a MUCH better job than Grambling, and if he were still on staff, he would probably at the very least be considered.

So that leaves Marist, and the newly opened PSU.

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #117 Cliveworshipper, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    I'm not so sure PSU is really open.

One of the assistants has a reputation as a recruiter and was hired this Spring.The other is Bill Irwin, who was the assistant at Portland for Clive Charles for his entire career until he died, then was Director of Soccer and Men's coach at UP until he retired two years ago, when he retired. His hiring was announced March 3, which may explain why he came out of retirement.

Irwin, a goalkeeper by trade, was the u20 and u23 coach for the USWNT for many years, and the Keeper coach for the full team for a few years. ( and was Kasey Keller's and Luis Robles' college coach).
    You have to wonder what hire PSU could manage that's better than that.

18. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Forgot about Irwin, he would be a great get (at least on paper) for at least an interim role this next year. More than qualified.

But as for the assistant that you allude to as a good recruiter, as I mentioned in my previous post, he has accepted and started working in another position already, despite what the website indicates, and that he was hired this spring. That's not to say they couldn't call and bring him back, but seems unlikely.

19. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Very odd how things went down at PSU. On another odd note....the Washburn U coach was fired on May 18....he was only hired this Feb 3...signed a big class as well. He was the UAPB guy that was so successful (SWAC relative) last season....wtf!!

20. wvalx2001

wvalx2001 New Member

Crystal Palace
    England
    May 9, 2017
    Anybody know why Lance Key left UT after only 1 season? It seems like he left a pretty good gig at Trinity TX and should have landed at a place to help him land a D1 HC job.

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Not all that odd if there was an agreement to put Irwin in the job.
    I'm not saying that's the case. For all I know Bill doesn't want the job and was just looking for a way to stay active ( he still coaches keepers at ECNL FC Portland, Clive's old club and where Schott was a club player). I was going to ask him about his coming out of retirement to be an assistant at the UP-PSU spring game, but I was called out of town.

But as a state school ( the largest in Oregon), the job has to be publicly offered, and the job was posted today. https://jobs.hrc.pdx.edu/postings/s...ry_organizational_tier_2_id=any&commit=Search
    The AD might have set the timeline as a way to reduce the candidate pool and to wait until late and set a search window that goes into the start of the next season. The fact that he's already there gives him an automatic leg up and most other qualified coaches have jobs for the next year. A similar timeline happened with the hiring timeline at Oregon State a few years ago when the assistant was hired into the job, and when Schott got the job at PSU from being assistant.

And, If the other assistant was told he wouldn't be considered or Bill had other plans for an assistant ( not saying this is so), it explains his leaving.

It also explains the 16 player class coming in. The next coach will have less to think about on the roster end of things. The same thing happened when Schott was promoted out of the assistant ranks.

But this is, of course, all guesswork.

22. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There are two sides to every story, but, in addition to LK being a good coach, he is a very family oriented and principled guy. He basically felt that certain things that he was promised during the interview process weren't upheld and delivered by AK and her staff. These were things like being able to drop off his kids in the morning and others that he felt were non-negotiable. Being a principled guy who wants to do things the right way, it wasn't a good fit and he decided he wouldn't work on a staff like that so he left. I'm sure there were other factors, I know they were making him do a lot of the recruiting grunt work and shuttling him to every in-house showcase in the state, and i'm not sure that was the best fit for him either, or what's was promised.

This is not meant to slander UT, AK or LK, just what I understand as to have happened, since someone asked. Shocking to pretty much everyone, but losing just 20 games in 12 years will get him another job

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    He's now an assistant at Texas.

24. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    Poetry in Motion got it right in his response and cliveworshipper he is no longer at Texas. Keri Sanchez is now in his place at Texas.

25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

By bad. Misread the post.