2017 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by StevenLa, Mar 10, 2017.

1. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Regarding Pitt: I have heard they have targeted 2 very succesful P5 coaches with some very lofty promises. Don't know if they will get them, but the name I heard, they must've been promising the world.

2. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Devad - any names for Pitt? Head coaches or assistant coaches in the final 2?

3. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree about Miami and it will be interesting to see who emerges to take the job.

A few comments, though, about your comments. Bowling Green was the MAC champs over Kent this past year. I'm not sure about the "values" comment. I'm not saying that the values of the school are bad but Miami has developed a reputation as a party school. It's right up there with Ohio University in that regard. I certainly did my share of partying in college and am not opposed to a good time but some parents don't want their kids in that environment. I know a parent of a kid (non-athlete) that did his best in dissuading his kid from choosing Miami based on the party reputation. You're right, though, it's a great school.

I am not privy to any "inside" information about the job search at Miami. I can, though, think of some candidates that could do well there.

• Nate Lie - Nate was a long-time assistant to Bobby Kramig at Miami and is a Miami grad. He has strong ties to the local soccer community. If Kramig's resignation timing had been different, Lie probably would have gone from being a Cincinnati AC to the Miami HC. As it is, he is now the HC at Xavier and has done a commendable job during his first year in trying to get the ship righted at X. I don't think that Nate will leave X but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.
    • Nick Flohre - Nick would be great at Miami. He has a strong record having previously been an AC at Iowa and Ohio State. He is currently the HC at Eastern Kentucky and took that program from a 4 win season the year before he arrived, to a 13 win season in his first year and a share of the OVC regular season title. He was also OVC coach of the year. As with Lie, Nick has strong ties to the area soccer community and he is a great recruiter. The academics at Miami are vastly better than EKU and it would make his recruiting job that much easier. Flohre is only going into his 3rd year as the EKU HC and that is why he probably will not leave.
    • Perhaps a D3 coach would do well. Matt Fannon went from Wittenberg to BGSU and has done a good job in getting that program on the right track. A D3 coach that comes to mind, and that could do well there, is Ohio Northern's Mark Batman. Batman has been at ONU for 14 years and is still relatively young. As the others, Batman is a good recruiter and knows the talent around the state well/ He does a particularly good job of recruiting Cincinnati-area talent - an area that Kramig neglected. With ONU making the Elite 8 of D3 this past season, Batman's market value is good and if he ever had thought of making the leap to D1, now is a good time.
    • Mags Saurin - she is currently a Dayton AC but previously was the HC at Oakland (Michigan) and IPFW. She had varying degrees of success at both schools but did win a Horizon League Championship at Oakland and was a Summit League coach of the year at some point at IPFW. I had heard she left Oakland because of job change for her husband. If that is the case, Miami and UD are, geographically, pretty close to each other.
    • Perhaps a D2 coach such as GVSU's Jeff Hosler or Bellarmine's Chris Tinius.

HeadSpun repped this.
  4. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    I do, but since what I have heard is little more than rumor, I don't really want to put their names out there. They are all head coaches. I heard 3 names. 2 Big 10, 1 SEC. Again from what I heard they were offering $200k+ and promises of new facility, bigger budget etc.

calcio1919 repped this.
  5. Kraude1316

Kraude1316 New Member

Southampton
    United States
    Dec 14, 2017
    Any news on North Dakota State?

6. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Aside from the program being a disaster I can’t see how it is difficult for the admin to get a good candidate for that amount of $. Unless they are scaring people away by talking about ACC and National Championships.

I think Nate Lie would do a great job at Miami. He’s a good dude with a lot of energy and solid recruiter. Someone like him could get that program back on track.

7. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Ali Conquest at IUPUI spoke to their administration last week. Got to think that the candidate pool for that job will be small considering location. The Dakotas probably aren’t a destination place for too many people. Although I do want to see Mount Rushmore :)

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Not so much fun anymore since the park service closed off the back side to climbers.

9. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

When you get to my age climbing is out of the question!

What happened at North Dakota State and Youngstown? Did both Coaches really step down or did they ‘step down’?

Fish On repped this.
  10. calcio1919

calcio1919 New Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Nov 11, 2017
    Was handing out team sheets at Development Academy showcase and heard that North Dakota coach was moving to Honduras. Decided to retire and be done. Not sure if true or not.

11. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Is his family from there? Why would someone want to ‘retite’ to Honduras unless they have family connections?? Can’t see that being true.

12. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    Think you can buy a bottle of beer in honduras for a nickel?

HeadSpun repped this.
  13. MAGA DTS!

MAGA DTS! New Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Respect for not putting names out, especially given you are 0-3 regarding the power 5’s you mentioned.

LilKicker and outsiderview repped this.
  14. LilKicker

LilKicker Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    I didn’t know today was Trollstice. Troll so hard I hurt myself laughing. Ha! Ha!

15. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #890 Holmes12, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    I hear ya Lilkicker. You're a really funny man. Glad nobody even bothered, as usual, with this profound no-truths.

16. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, I'll add, Portland fans are very happy.

18. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    lol

19. theguru

theguru Member

May 7, 2008
    Any national team player that played for her will surely not be going to Portland now

20. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    French was a good 4-year player at Portland, has 14 caps, was a pro player, and has an "A" license. Her time with US Soccer as a scout and coach means she knows every top club in the country and likely every player in the USYNT pool structure presently. To think she can't coach or that every player she's worked with won't take a scholarship offer at Portland seems like a weak argument. She has to be smart enough to hire an assistant that complements her skill set. Whether she needs a recruiting workhorse or tactical brainpower or whatever.
    Not sure how this can't be viewed as a great hire especially considering where the program is now. Not sure how Portland could justify NOT hiring her. Unfortunately, the press release didn't talk about the past few season but rather emphasized the 'glory days' at Portland. If those high expectations are the goal, then maybe that's trouble, but the program should bounce back.

21. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    I have no doubt that Frenchie can coach. The question is, can she attract the players?

It’s doubtful that Portland can ever regain their elite status (the soccer landscape has changed too much). But can they be an elite WCC team again? Possibly. Time will tell.

22. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I can see why Portland would want to make the French hire. An alum with good playing experience, female is a plus.

But a few questions. Hasn’t been a college head coach, can she step in and get it done? Big learning curve, but not impossible and can be done. And while she has experience coaching youth national teams, is it ‘good’ experience? Every national team she had coached has vastly underperformed. Will be interested to see how she pans out there over time.

olelaliga repped this.
  23. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Ever been? I'd retire to Roatan (as many North Americans do) in a heartbeat.

[​IMG]

Collegewhispers repped this.
  24. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Why would you have "no doubt that Frenchie can coach?" She was a great player no doubt. Her career backs that up. Her career has nothing in it to "prove" she can coach. Maybe she can. It seems like a big job for her resume.

25. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I can see why Portland made this hire as on the surface most people will. With her background you would assume she knows how to coach and she will have knowledge of national pool connections. On paper a solid hire.