2017 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by StevenLa, Mar 10, 2017.

1. cali.soccer

cali.soccer Member

Aug 25, 2007
    After yesterday, Maybe?
    Miami OH for sure going to be a hot job.
    Tulsa?
    Oral Roberts?
    OHIO-
    UC Riverside looses to Grambling-
    ULM-
    UT Martin-
    Presbyterian looses 6-1 to Alabama State-

2. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Miami (OH), UT Martin, Tulsa I would think are hot.

Oral Roberts past two seasons pretty good. - Safe
    ULM Conf Coach of the year last season in first year/best year in history - Safe
    Ohio is going to depend on conference play I believe.

What about...
    1-4-1 UMBC - 2 poor years and not a great start
    0-5 Richmond - its been a while since they've had a good year
    1-3-1 Umass - Haven't had a winning season in 5 or so years
    American - always bad, do they care?
    0-4-1 Seton Hall - HC has a 10-39-9 record there
    1-5-1 Idaho State - 2 years removed from a 1 win season 71-101-21 overall

Last year there were some big job openings that were not overly obviously hot (AZ State, Kentucky, Miss State) will there be any this year?
    Illinois? Portland? Oregon State?

3. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Miami OH is a GREAT job I would think. One of the original Public Ivy schools so you have great academics, affordable cost, and a strong talent pool in state in Ohio and surrounding Midwest states. Wonder if they keep the interim or do a national search. You can always sell your program if you have strong academics. Could win the MAC there any given year if it goes to the right person.

4. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #329 Holmes12, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    All the rust belts are a challenge. No industry money. Otherwise, legacy (northern/rust belt) B10 football powers would be contending for nattys. They feed after suthun/coastal P5 take theirs from the coastal trough.

If I had a non-P5 rust belt job, I have a three or four step plan to win...

1) I'd coordinate recruiting/split scholly money with the track coach. Go into Cleveland/Cincinnati/Gary IN/Southside. They can dual-sport.

2) After sharing money and human resources with the track team, throw a full scholly offer at one or two disgruntled P5 bench Freshman to get some industry foot skills.

3) There is also always 11th/12th grade talent who could play P5 but passed over cuz they are unsure about the commitment/college experience. They don't jet set to college camps so P5 considers them, rightfully, a risk. There just aren't enough girls who love soccer enough to overcome the hate for these regimens. Go for them, the Amanda Wurlitzers. Like the track girls, promise it's not the boot camp experience, they can greek/etc. That whole eat, breath, sleep soccer training regimen is overblown and unnecessary for women in my opinion. It's only for the coaches, really. Their bodies don't develop like men, so work the high school coaches (club is too incentive driven with their selection pools) for the leery P5 talent.

4) Roost time, interview P5 and wish your recruits and the track coach luck.

5. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    addendum to 2)...this is a coastal/southern P5 you want to scavenge for a post-Freshman transfer or two...FSU/UNC/South Carolina/etc. Don't waste time with northern neighborhood B10/B12.

6. oneofnine

oneofnine Member

Nov 21, 2011
    just a small note on your plan - you can't "share" scholarships with track team. If a student is a dual sport athlete such as track/soccer - one program must fully assume the scholarship. So if a soccer program offers an 80% scholarship to a kid who also runs track, it can't be split 40/40....one program will take the full hit on their equivalency

WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.
  7. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #332 PlaySimple, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2017
    {Mod edit - cut the personal attacks. Thanks in advance.}

8. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Thanks for your note. But according to this site...

Scholarship Opportunities
    Normally it is not allowed at the Division 1 level, but some coaches are okay with you playing more than one sport while being a student-athlete. Some coaches see it as a great way to cross-train if the seasons don’t collide or for the mutually beneficial scholarship opportunities.

If two coaches agree to share an athlete they can split their scholarship so that the student-athlete is getting the financial aid they need but each team is only supporting half of it.

http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/2012/04/09/college-athlete-multiple-sports.htm

9. oneofnine

oneofnine Member

Nov 21, 2011
    I understand the information you are referencing, but unfortunately it is just wrong. I know this from first hand experience. Wish it was true. When i was in the NAIA, we did this all the time.

10. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #335 Holmes12, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    I take your word for it but I see stuff on other recruiting sites which insinuate "sharing" scholly resources are allowed...like...

====================================
    There ere are exceptions, but they are rare. And the exceptions are the athletes that are truly great at two sports. The only reason a coach will share in this instance is that the talent of the individual is too much to pass up. The great athletes can give 50 percent of their time and still be contributing more than everybody else.

With this kind of “game changer” it is not unheard of for coaches of two programs to team up and offer this player a scholarship for both programs. But this is rare, incredibly rare.
    ====================================

By-laws are boring, so it's enough take up with the NCAA if named head coach at a public, rust-belt non-P5. Plan won't work at a private. Leone at Maryland has partially applied my formula. Fastest overall team in the country from passed overs and blew through coastal industry smalls this month where they lost last year. i predict they will defeat Penn State. The speed assets he has don't care that he's a curmudgeon, they're happy to be there. Chilled his seat, although it is a tough job to blow considering proximity to northeast money. Texas is easier to lose than UMCP. Except Leone is not using industry. I'm a fan of this man. To counter these kinds of existential threats, industry stalwarts like UNC, especially UNC after PSU game, needs to find a Rodman "equalizer" out there who's not been Triangle FC, etc for years.

11. oneofnine

oneofnine Member

Nov 21, 2011
    The unfortunate thing about some recruiting websites is they blur the lines between different divisions and therefore make mistakes. And they are managed by people outside the actual college coaching world. Don't question the motives, just their experience.

I had a player at one point that was an All-Region player and also the leading scorer on the basketball team. Basketball picked up the full scholarship - because scholarships can't be shared - no matter how "special" a player is.

In terms of you recruiting plan - it may work. However, the best laid plans oft go astray - especially when you're relying on picking up a quality transfer, finding the overlooked player, etc. Not saying those players aren't out there, but no guarantee you get em.

Lensois repped this.
  12. MWsoccer

MWsoccer New Member

Portland Timbers
    United States
    Sep 4, 2017
    1-6 Southern Utah in that mix if Idaho State is there: last year 3-12-2
    Chicago State 1-7 start
    Green Bay 1-6 (only win versus Chicago State)
    It's been said here before and it seems that Creighton continue to struggle to put anything together.
    Iowa State off to a very slow start too ...
    Looks like Hempen may be turning things around at CSU - a couple good results so far. Good for them.

13. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #338 Holmes12, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    yeah, that's sort of the hard part(s) of the plan...;-)...but it's an alternative to the current locked-in stasis of signing late jr/sr year industry leftovers. They're now even getting foreign leftovers as the best are coastal P5. Rust-belts should try stepping out of the industry pipeline. From my perspective, I see/saw a lot talent come back from P5 id camps saying "no way". To college coach's credit, and it's in their interests, really, they don't sugarcoat the soccer student social life (zilch). Nor do the unsmiling current players who assist at these camps lie. But in their hearts, realistic high school girls aren't ready for soccer to end, they just don't want year-round seal training. My belief is, as I said earlier, seal training for girls benefits little, begats injuries. They aren't guys, not built for that. Their "soccer shape" is supposed to be with respect to girl opposition. They play 2-3 tournament games in the same day in club. Something like a Bowling Green, college town, vibrant greek life, football team, you could compete with this plan. Possibly tally a save for the UNC keeper in the NCAA tournament loss. Anyways, yeah, I do take your word on that. I'd still do some co-op with maybe track offering half to sprinter A, soccer offering half to sprinter B...etc...not the same player...but we both get 2 resources for the price of one. I'd hire some accounting student/TA wide-body like the guy behind Brad Pitt in Moneyball.

14. Moist Pits

Moist Pits Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Portland, Ore.
    H
    Portland? Hot seat?

Remember the times when a Cliveworshipper would browbeat anyone who'd dare diminish anything whatsoever about the Portland program or its current coach?

And cpthomas would marvel at Portland winning soccer and those attendance figures.

Well, Merlo Field now has plenty of empty seats and Coach Garrett Smith is wondering if he can survive a fourth straight season out of the playoffs.

And where are those two staunch Portland supporters now? Maybe they've become Santa Clara fans.

15. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Janet Rayfield and Illinois has been discussed here. Ohio State took Illinois to the woodshed last night in the B1G opener for both schools. Is she safe? tOSU, meanwhile, has been pretty successful this season.
    I agree about Miami. What Kramig did, retiring just before the beginning of the season, put them in somewhat of a bind. He stated "personal reasons", which I can understand under most circumstances, but the timing is suspect. His largest blunder was largely ignoring the talent-rich supply of players around Ohio. In particular, it was a rarity to see anyone from the counties nearby the school, Hamilton, Butler, Warren (greater Cincinnati area), and Montgomery (Dayton), on the roster. I always found it quite odd. Kids around that area are often the children of alums and have thought about attending the school since they were in diapers. Kramig never really pursued them.

Miami is a great school with really strong academics. It should be a great job for someone. Although Nate Lie has only been in his gig this one season at Xavier after leaving Cincinnati, I'm wondering if he wishes he was at Miami. He went to school there and served as Kramig's assistant for a decent amount of time. At Xavier he appears to be making some progress at a program that has become pretty much irrelevant. He's also doing it with a lot of kids from Ohio.
    Chicago State is almost a no-win situation. The current coach, Kevin Meek, didn't "decimate" the roster. It was already on the way down prior to him getting hired. When Meek was hired there were probably less than 15 rostered. I know that there were more than that last season but many quit after last season.

The school itself is not good. It is in danger of losing funding and accreditation for some programs. The average ACT scores are less than 19. As recently as a year ago all of the employees received layoff notices in anticipation that there would be inadequate funding to pay staff. Graduation rates are only about 10%. Because the graduation rate is so low, it amounts to > $2.5 million spent per year per graduate. This is primarily paid by the taxpayers of Illinois. As a taxpayer in Illinois, I have a problem with that. If a kid accepts an offer to attend Chicago State for soccer, that is pretty much the reason they're attending. They're is no compelling reason to go to school there. Academically it's the antithesis of Miami University. There is also no compelling reason for a coach to go there. If Kevin Meek is canned, who will the school hire? If I were a coach I wouldn't touch the job. I'm surprised Meek took it.

16. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #341 Holmes12, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    OSU only has five in-staters. After they feed and apparently not all that impressed beyond non-$cholly roster fill, Cincinnati (cheap in comparison to Miami and better brand/conference) takes whatever D1 capable is left in-state. And Cincinnati imports Canadians en masse. The top two in-state destination rosters, empty NFL seats and AI warehouse/plant robotics reveal the level of disposable cash flow into any rust belt ECNL/ODP/industrial complex. Xavier, haha, no chance for any private, especially in the interior.

Cincinnati and their Canadians look strong, ='d LSU in shots on frame @ Baton Rouge. Is that what it's called, "frame"? Now easier conference teams. Could take only 1 "equal" P5 loss into post-season if they don't get AAC road-weary and drop 1 or 2 in far-flung locales. Great coaching job will be recognized by P5. I love Walker at Columbus but perhaps the haters will like the 'Cat staff there? Capt. Stubing?

17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    How did Canada come to have so many good soccer players?

18. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #343 Holmes12, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Yeah, I was thinking about that. I have no idea but perhaps selection/participation is less money-driven? So tracksters and basketballers give it a sustainable shot? I also think the US hand in your pocket industry burns many prospects out, so as maturing high school seniors/college freshman, they opt out for a normal college existence. The obsessive boot camp expectations of women's programs are self-defeating for everybody. Coach, student, school (wasted resources/time when kids attrition out), God, country. Sorta in that order, or reverse. So, per capita, more and less-choosy Canadians are filling rust belts. As I said, if the NCAA was true with it's so-called "mission", it'd cap maniacal 24/7 regimens for non-rev "student-athletes". Particularly women where there is a hard ceiling for any physical development return. Then we'd see more Americans sticking with it. sorority?...soccer?...sorority?...soccer?

19. Moist Pits

Moist Pits Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Portland, Ore.
    And why does Portland have zero Canadians on its less than stellar roster, when Team Canada boasts two Portland alums named Christine Sinclair and Sophie Schmidt? You'd think they'd put in a good word to young Canadian recruits about the Portland Pilots. Or maybe the two stars are the being candid with the kids about Garrett Smith and pointing them elsewhere.

20. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My list from back in April for southeast schools. Much will depend on conference play. Some schools may not care.

Billy Lesesne, Georgia (cooling)
    Brian Lee, LSU. (Cold)
    Eric Terrell, Charleston Southern (warm)
    Chad Miller, Western Carolina (warm)
    Spencer Smith, Winthrop (warm)
    Brian Dunleavy, Georgia Southern (cooling)
    Amy Kiah, Wofford (warm)
    Robin Confer, North Florida (cold)
    Brian Purcell, Presbyterian. (Warm)
    Harold Warren, UAB. (Out)

New to watch
    App State losing a lot of close games
    Georgia State, will get more time
    Jacksonville trending wrong direction
    Richmond

Any others?

21. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Midwest Chime in:

UIC
    Indiana-Ft. Wayne
    UWGB
    Iowa (maybe)
    Chicago St
    Illinois (maybe)
    Ill St (maybe)

22. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Gotta think Nevada Reno is hot...Yes this is a first year coach, bu they are off to a horrific start and were only able to field 10 Players in yesterdays 6-0 defeat (two of them were GK's and another left the game injured) They were outshot 51-0 and today they have put out an open tryout invitation to students. The injury bug must be huge because they list 25 on the roster

23. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Totally agree with Ft Wayne they have been getting worse and worse. They did beat Robert Morris which should be hot but they have shown they don't care over recent years.

Green Bay surely must be hot. What about how badly Oakland are doing?

Illinois State have a new head coach so don't see that.

24. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why is Georgia cooling? They are 4-4-1 when Alabama and Miss State who are the only other two new coaches since his arrival are 8-2-0 and 6-1-1. Georgia has 4 mid major wins, 4 power 5 losses, and 1 mid major tie. Oh and they are 0-1 in SEC and have the worst overall record in the SEC.

Western Carolina HC is married to the SWA so I can't imagine he is ever asked to leave. That would be one uncomfortable dinner table.

App State HC is loved there, always has a big roster and manages them well. husband is an athletic trainer there as well.

I think these two would have to do something really bad to be let go.

What about Gardner Webb? 1-7-0

How long has Chattanooga HC been there, I've heard its very underfunded but coming off a bad year and not a great start.

25. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    On one hand you state that Illinois State's coach is new so you don't see him getting axed yet you're asking about Oakland's coach. I agree that 0-9-1, or whatever Oakland's record is, is pretty bad but the Oakland coach is also new. Mags Saurin, Oakland's previous coach, is now an assistant at Dayton with Eric Golz - ISU's former coach.