2017 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by StevenLa, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I would get it if Wheddon just struggled in ACC play or against good power 5 teams but they still lose to mid majors. He has done a poor job there.

Still not sure how these trends work exactly but it's interesting to see them. Although that coach was brought in to improve Indiana soccer and to me doesn't seem like she's really doing that. Auburn head coach didn't seem to think she will last more than a couple more years there and didn't think she was up to the task which is pretty scathing coming from her former colleague. Big Ten is a toughie though and they did make the tourney last year so maybe that's the improvement the trend shows?

2. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How is Jacksonville FL on the hot seat? Six of eight years with a winning record and a NCAA appearance. Last season wasnt good but overall .541 and .669 in conference.

3. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  4. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  5. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    It definitely does not reward those coaches who took over a bad program and made it better. Cromwell inherited 9 NWSL draftees. Radwanski inherited a 2 win program. Who has done the better job? You could argue Romagnolo has been one of the most underperforming coaches in the country. And she's 17.

Radwanski (63), Jobson (81), Sanchez (88), Stafford (102), Hale (106), Potter (124), Amato (128)

Howard (the school is 24) Sadhayak (28), Murray St (33), Abilene Christian (41), Alabama St (46), Mercer (48), Houston Baptist (62), Prarie View A&M ( 75)

Yeah, really accurate. Any poll that ranks the Howard coach 100 spots ahead of Matt Potter is off.

6. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    "Big School Good, Small School Bad". Got it. There's already a multiplier in the system to bump up scores for coaches in big conference schools.

I always run a feature talking about new coaches that do the best job as compared to predecessors but haven't gotten there yet this year. Radwanski and Hale are always pretty high up.

Also, Matt Potter is the hill you're choosing to die on? Two NCAA appearances and one NCAA win in five seasons, Matt Potter?

7. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Texas coach is way too high as well.

8. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Someone who isn't in the Top 100 is ranked too high? Really?

9. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I stand by what I said. Not many coaches can say they have that many resources yet spectacularly underperform.

10. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    I don't think you can argue that point. But the rankings aren't meant to take into account budget, resources, etc. as there's no real objective way you can measure that across all Division I schools.

The closest way I can measure that objectively is measuring her performance against Chris Petrucelli's in his last five years. As you'll see, it does not reflect well on her performance.

11. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    "Big School good, Small School Bad." I didn't say that at all. Howard being #24 discredits the whole thing.

Murray St- RPI last 5 years, 142, 94, 187, 275, 296
    Even last year with a 142 they lost to Kentucky 5-0 , Vanderbilt 4-0, and Alabama 4-2. Those were among the worst SEC teams.

This isn't a small school vs. big school bias. I didn't say anything about FGCU, Boston etc. But Alabama St, Howard, Abilene Christian, Murray St, Houston Baptist??? Those are the hills you are willing to die on?

12. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Why am I even bothering when you clearly don't understand the methodology of the actual measure and haven't taken the time to look at what the rankings measure?

RPI - Deeply flawed and unreliable. Not a part of the analysis. As an example, Oklahoma finishing at #14 last year.

Non-Conference - Also unreliable and not a part of the analysis. How do you accurately determine who did well and who did poorly when some teams load up on difficult games and some just schedule a bunch of easy wins? You can't.

But most hilariously of all, you list five seasons of RPI for Murray State when their current coach, Jeremy Groves, has been there for just three seasons.

All these rankings measure are performance within a conference (with a small kicker for the biggest conferences), performance within a conference tournament (if applicable), and NCAA Tournament qualification/performance. That's it. No RPI, no non-conference, no budget, no recruiting, none of the entirely subjective and painfully amorphous measures everyone around here tries to shoehorn around their opinion of who's good and who stinks.

13. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

It's a flawed system. The Texas coach being above the Kansas coach tells you that.

14. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    Just like the recruiting rankings, means nothing. So many factors are unknown and/or not included. But good entertainment for this website.

15. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Neel from Binghamton said that Wheddon is expected to make "significant progress" this fall from the administration. These words came from Phil himself. Pressure is starting to build at Syracuse.

16. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #241 Holmes12, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    I don't see help coming for Phil this year. You can't win as a consolation choice for New England club players when the area can't even produce enough for BC to do anything. Then look at the huge chasm from Syracuse/UConn to UMass. Despite the money pumping up gotsoccer and top drawer rankings, ratings and whatnot, the snowfall crimps the talent development/pool. It's so rare that a major league baseballer, for example, comes from the region these days. NE used to produce talent pretty regularly before the year-round travel industry went critical. But as been said, Phil can't get southerlies to go play in stuffy, smelly bubbles. Which is why I wondered why he never went to Canada.

17. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    hahahaha

18. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Neel didn't think that Wheddon was able to sell the program properly and that was a source of frustration for him.

Wonder what other coaches have been told they need a good year.

19. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  20. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Wow! That was an eye opening read! She's (Plonsky) pure evil! Why hasn't she been fired? And just a hunch, sounds like Kelly and Harston (Plonsky's lacky) might be a couple.. (following each other to different schools). Which makes sense why she'd (Kelly) not be fired. Sheesh. What a mess

21. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Yeah in our part of the country, its pretty common knowledge she is protected by the SWA. The pool of names most people think the new Texas coach will come from are Stone, Hale, Nolan, Sanchez or McGuire. I think Izzo-Brown and Smith (I sure hope not) would be first calls, but most don't think they'd leave. This is all assuming that she is not making the new hire obviously!

22. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think Izzo would jump in a nano. I also think girls generally don't like to play for women coaches. It's a weird peer thing.

23. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dave Nolan wouldn't touch that job if they came begging. He would never put up with that type of bulls$&t from an AD. Plus, doesn't Texas have the special one (committed during 8th grade) coming to save the coaches job this fall?

24. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Damn: That was a helluva story--kudos to the reporter, who did a fantastic job of reporting on Plonsky and the problems she is causing at texas. Dysfunction junction. Good grief. No coach with any sense is going to leave a solid program to go to austin and work for her. Some will, because of the money, but it would be very risky. She like an athletic department mafia don.

25. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Well I guess that gives us an idea how the coach kept her job despite an abysmal performance.

Why any student-athlete/assistant coach would want to be there is indeed a puzzle. And as has been mentioned could you imagine being a head coach having to report to that type of person?

Any insight into how far reaching this article will be? Got to think that if even half this stuff is true and enough people know about it this may at least put a little pressure on Plonsky to change her ways.