2017 game feeds/TV/media

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by lil_one, Jan 13, 2017.

1. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Yeah, the USWNT were in a 0-1-1-2-1-2-1-2 against France.
    They were scattered everywhere, & there was no one (with pace) at home to guard the striker's zone in front of net.

2. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    would Wagner or Foudy need prep work?

3. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Most likely yes. I'm pretty sure it was stated somewhere (possibly Jen's podcast) that Wagner did a lot of homework before the draft. I can't say I know everything about every team and I regularly watch games.
    Meanwhile, even of NT broadcasts we tend to see a lot of the same talking points. And I really don't need to hear how Horan skipped college every single Thorns game.

4. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Neither Wagner nor Foudy is going to be part of the in studio team for the non-national TV games. Again - there will be one broadcast team for the national TV game of the week. That team will travel and will be a quality team. All other games will be done out of a studio with low cost announcers.

5. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering what some of you are quantifying as "quality" in this discussion? Production quality? Play by play ability? Getting names right? Having that WoSo trivia knowledge base?

6. IZIE

IZIE Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah I would love to know what quality means here... What ever Lifetime is doing will be way better quality than anything we've had before, HD streams, more cameras, better angles( may be we can finally see when someone is Offside) , more microphones ( don't know if I want to hear a stand of 10yr olds only though) . Local commentators could have all the knowledge in the world and can't deliver a professional commentary. Lifetime is investing big in this and can't afford to have Muted streams with Local ,knowledgeable "unprofessional" commentators.

7. IZIE

IZIE Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What they should is is keep these knowledgeable people (Jen cooper , Dan Lauletta ect) to do weekly shows on their website ( BTS , Player interviews , review shows,predictions and so on) something like MLS website.

NB : can be individual teams websites

8. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lifetime with a new ad for NWSL. Pretty good.

9. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking it up now... and... here it is:

Airox repped this.
  10. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not gonna lie, I expected there to be a lot of discussion on this. This is a big deal. NWSL has had a lot of trouble making hype videos of any type in the past. I can only remember one similar video ever in the past. While not incredible, this is the sort of thing I wouldn't feel embarrassed to post for all my non woso friends.

11. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dan and Jen - I really hope Lifetime finds a way to include them; and Lesle Gallimore, too. I honestly will miss Ann Schatz. What you get with Ann Schatz is Ann Schatz, full speed full volume.

12. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
  13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    lil_one repped this.
  14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Seeing all those Saturday 4 pm games is a sight to be hold. International fans it seems can watch the games live and on demand on NWSLsoccer.com. Now its not clear if that includes non televised games as well. But my assumption will be that is the case.

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    One would hope we get more than one game per week on streaming!

Just two games are scheduled to be in stadia that don't also host men's teams. Reasonable enough.

16. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Didn't they indicate as much that all games will be at least streamed? Or am I confused?

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think they mentioned something to that effect, but I'm not convinced until I see it, especially since we haven't heard if the "all other games" will be free or not. I know all MLS games are streamed, but you have to pay for MLS Live to see them. After having everything free on YouTube for four years, I hope they don't switch to a pay service, or if they do, I hope it's cheap.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Two comments I missed earlier:

19. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would actually be willing, if not wanting, to pay a small sum to watch the games if I thought it would be an investment of some sort.

20. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Still doesn't say if it will be free or not. I don't mind paying and I don't think most people would either.

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    "On-demand" sounds to my like paying.

I'm fine paying a nominal amount, i.e. $20 range, but if it's much higher than $30 I'm not sure.

22. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Naw, on demand I see more as, it's 2pm on a Monday and I want to watch the game that I missed on Sunday. Since they distinguish live and on demand.
    Which doesn't rule out a fee. But had they said ppv, that would be 100% sure to have a fee.

CoachJon and holden repped this.
  23. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I don't have a problem paying for streams either, especially if the quality if higher across the board. NWSL is a league I support strongly, and I love watching WoSo in general, so it is money well spent. Of course, I have my limits. It needs to be reasonable, considering that we are accustomed to free YouTube streams for 4 years.

24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind paying for the streams. I just want to be sure that they're not geo-blocked as I will be overseas for a large chunk of the NWSL season....and for all the overseas NWSL fans. :)

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Not crazy about paying for streams but for me the real problem is it will reduce cross viewership IMO. With free streams I may put up a match I have little interest in just to watch a few players I like. If Im paying I only watch games I have a rooting interest in. Woso in the US is still at the stage where they need to broaden the audience, hence being on cable, not compartmentalize it. Id want as many people watching as many NWSL matches as possible to try and make the game the star as opposed to certain players or ur home team.