2017 game feeds/TV/media

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by lil_one, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Probably because Verizon who now own the rights wants to promote their go90. I think what the NWSL can do is pressure go90 to provide website access. Not sure how difficult that would be.

kernel_thai repped this.
  2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Because Verizon is paying NWSL a rights fee for the games which they r only doing because it exclusive. Verizon wants u using ur phone to watch the NWSL. Now supposedly they r going to let u watch on the Go90 website at some point but no idea when that is. It's the same story with the archive. After 48 hours the games r supposed to be available for all on NWSL.com but the 48 hour window is again trying to make people watch the game on their phone for as long as they can.

DynamoManiac repped this.
  3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well, as Ive documented several places my experience was horrific. Now I realize that the better the tech u have the easier it probably was on u but my experience trying to watch the Dash was so unenjoyable that the only other match I watched a second of was the lifetime match. Previously Id watch at least some of each match depending how it went.

No, there is absolutely no excuse for waiting until the 11th hour to get a deal done and start getting the information out. There should have been a drop dead date of maybe April 1 to get the deal done or be prepared to go back to Youtube until negotiations were finished and there was a reasonable time to get Go90 and NWSL apps up and running. The fact that there is still no android version of the league app speaks volumes.

As to my personal experience
    1. Go90 worked on my android phone tho it did drop the feed several times during the match. I also had a problem restarting the feed after a drop as it either wanted to run the next video or start where I left off with no way to advance to the current spot in the feed.
    2. Bought Chromecast but Go90 app refused to locate the caster. Eventually got this to work a different was by mirroring the phone but this was after the matches were over.
    3. Watched some of the match on VPN but it constantly dropped the stream. In the second half I changed location and got a continuous stream for the remainder of the match.
    4. Had mixed results trying to watch archived matches on the Go90 app.

Many of my problems were based on trial and error and could have been lessened if this all had been done ahead of time and a pre season match had been used to test it. Very disappointed

4. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Real simple answer: Verizon paid a rights fee. It is all about the money.

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched a replay of the Thorns game yesterday. And, I just went to Lifetime and it still is there for replay. That is, if you're a subscriber to one of the services (I haveDirecTV) that carries Lifetime. The screen I just used is identified as for the game, but is blank, except that it has a triangle "start" button. I clicked on the button and the game started.

hotjam2 repped this.
  6. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    NWSL has had 7 months to clear this up and all they do is come up with Go90. Now I know what the players go through. If you want respect, show respect to others!

Semblance17 repped this.
  7. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    It looks like a few of the archives are now up on the NWSL site (Including the Portland vs Orlando game that was on Lifetime). The Houston vs Chicago game isn't showing up for me, though. And I guess it's still too early for the KC vs Boston game?

8. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
  9. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Tuesday morning update: 3 of 5 games are available in full on NWSL website - Courage vs. Spirit, Seattle vs. Sky Blue, and the Lifetime game Portland vs. Orlando (sound is wonky for the first 15 minutes or so but then the commentators can be heard).

Houston vs. Chicago is still not up, even though it's been more than 48 hours.
    FCKC vs. Boston is still under 48 hours, so it will probably be posted later today or tomorrow.

It seems likely we will be able to view all games eventually, but I question how many people will have the patience for this. Also, the inconvenience will NOT draw in new fans. Only the diehards will either a) watch on a tiny cell phone screen, b) rig up a Chromecast or VPN, or c) wait till 2-3 days later to watch on the website.

10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RE: The NWSL site and 'archived' games.
    a) I clicked on VIDEOS and only highlights were there.
    b) I followed link provided by WWC_Movement, above and only got sound.
    c)It was only after futzing around quite a bit that I found out that
    1. On the home page, click on the game result in the schedule ribbon at the top of the page
    2. That takes me to the Recap page
    3. I have to hover my mouse somewhere below the score box at the top of the page
    4. A media play slider appears - I get sound
    5.I have to click the 'Full Screen' icon to get the picture.
    d )HOW THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW IT TOOK THESE 5 STEPS TO SEE THE ARCHIVED GAMES?

As of 12:10 pm EDT,
    • I could not get the HOU-CHI game to appear
    • On the recap page for KC-BOS, there is a white arrow in a red circle and the words "watch the repay on GO90.
    GO90, 12:10 pm
    • On my tablet, GO90 has only one game shown under "Recently Live Events" - BOS-KC
    • It plays
    • I can't drag the media play slider to fast forward to a time of my choice in the game
    • All of the Upcoming Live events are just wrong. (e.g. has BOS @ NC Sat at 7:30).

I will wait (impatiently) until Thursday morning to delete and then re-load GO90

11. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Actually they had 3 months. NWSL Media LLC was not created and the rights for streaming did not start getting marketed until the Lifetime deal was announced (which itself was only finalized shortly before getting announced).

Verizon was the only option that actually offered to pay money for the streaming rights. Tough to sell something that nobody else is willing to pay money for.

12. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You can actually do it in one click. Just click on the game scores at the top of the home page. Whatever game you click on, it takes you to a page that includes the replay.

13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks - just now (6:00 EDT), after clicking the score on the top of the home page, it took me to the recap page and the media play slider appeared automatically and the replay started automatically. Still had to click Full Screen to get a picture. HOU-CHI and BOS-KC replays still are not there.

14. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
  15. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    So 4/5 games are posted in NWSL website now. The one still missing for me is Houston-Chicago. Has anyone had any luck watching it?

16. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    The VHS tape got chewed up, so they're trying to repair it.

Gilmoy and blissett repped this.
  17. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I look forward to seeing the Chicago-Houston game -- because it sounds as it Chicago was awful.

IMHO, Chicago, next to Portland, has the most talent in the league. They under-performed on offense last year -- and have started this season the same way. (If I recall correctly, I picked Chicago to finish on top this year.)

The Chicago line-up is also puzzling. Why didn't Huerta start at either midfield or forward? Does she have a minor knock? While I like Mautz, Hoy, and McCaffrey, Huerta is a better player than any of them and should be starting instead of one of those three.

18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    my pc keeps on freezing on this video, but might as well as that analyst was annoying to listen to!
    why couldn't they keep this on youtube?
    but as Jim Stanford sang so long ago; "all good things must come to an end, its same with the wildwood weeds'

blissett repped this.
  19. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    As of last night I still could not see the Dash-Red Stars game.
    I tried to watch Portland but could not cast to my TV, I have chromecast.

20. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I have emailed the league to ask about the Chicago-Houston game feed. We will see if they answer.

21. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There was an error in the original stream that resulted in a problem with getting it automatically up in the site queue. It's been fixed (at least partially) such that the game is now available, but for now on Go90 not yet the NWSL website.

22. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    There are no replay on Go90 that I know.

23. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I don't see it on Go90 either.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    What's there to see?

25. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It's there now. You have to scroll all the way to the bottom past all of the future games.