2017 game feeds/TV/media

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by lil_one, Jan 13, 2017.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll start the 2017 thread off with this tweet:

Also I didn't get to watch the draft coverage live, but just started watching and am really impressed. Hopefully, its a foreshadowing of the better coverage NWSL matches will get throughout the season.

CoachJon repped this.
  2. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Aly Wagner was a great addition - After reading Dan Lauletta's write up about her prep, she came through in spades. I like Jen Cooper already and she did fine. Mark Rogo played his happy host role just right and did a good job moving the conversations around. I thought they all really did a good job helping the players they interviewed relax and be able to show themselves in a good light.

I felt they wasted their floor reporter. For me, she should have been doing more interviews, like with Sonnett and Brian, who were sitting together, but did not get to attend their own drafts. I also spotted Lori Chalupny there. And, for me, it would be interesting for the floor reporter to find and talk with the potential draftees that traveled the farthest and spectators, for that matter.

With all the talk of the U23 game the previous night, I would have loved to see some video. Since it was a de facto showcase, I don't think that would have been hard to get approved.

Perhaps an interview of Curt Johnson, president & GM of NC Courage about his first draft would have been appropriate after their final pick, even if they had to promise not to ask about specific players.

3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Very good summary and I agree with all of it. Not once did I think of muting the commentary and for me that's a sign that they were awesome.

Gilmoy, SiberianThunderT and CoachJon repped this.
  4. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! I think I enjoy the event because it is all about the players, and I love the players.

mamalia and orange crusader repped this.
  5. IZIE

IZIE Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So Fox is most likely TV partner, let's hope we can get a better deal than previous ones. Would be great if there's a game of the week broadcast on a Sunday. The flash's move to NC provides another suitable stadium.

Portland , Orlando , NC, Houston ,Washinton would likely be most used for a year long deal.

Chicago has a great stadium too but we all would like them to get attendance and atmosphere up a notch. Sporting Park would be great if KC can work out something also

6. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Loved your ideas for additional input from Ashley Ignelzi. Hopefully someone reads your post and incorporates some more upgrades for next year. I will say that I thought Mark had the most difficulty dealing with the sequential time outs and seemed to be loosing his cool, whereas Jen and Aly just took everything in stride.

CoachJon repped this.
  7. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #7 holden, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017

Wonder who it could be with if it's not with a "typical power sports network." Maybe I'm reading too much into it saying "power" in there, but that makes me think it's not ruling out all sports networks (if it's not a sports network at all, that would be a really interesting development), just the big ones. I'm guessing that rules out ESPN, Fox Sports, and probably NBCSN too. But what about CBS Sports Network? CBS Sports Network carries the National Pro Fastpitch league (and broadcast it's draft too). So that might be a good synergy to have. The other nationally carried sports networks I can think of are Bein and Univision Deportes (though that's a Spanish language channel, I think MLS has a game per week broadcast on one of Univision's channels with both Spanish and English commentary available, so they could do similar). Another option (which I think I've mentioned previously, or at least I've thought about it) would be one of the college sports networks, like the Pac-12 Network, SEC Network, Big Ten Network, or Longhorn Network (though I think of that list, the Pac-12 is the only one independent of the typical power sports networks and interestingly Aly Wagner currently works for them and Mark Rogondino has in the past). They don't really have any original programming during the summer, so it could give the NWSL flexibility in scheduling their games that they wouldn't get on other networks that have live programming during the summer.

CoachJon repped this.
  8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It it's the Pac12 network, I'd be most unhappy. DirecTV doesn't have it.

9. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I think it will be the case for most people that don't get all of them. For example, I don't get the Longhorn Network and would have to pay extra to get the Big 10 Network. And actually, I only get Pac-12 Los Angeles, so I'd have to pay extra for the non-regional Pac-12 Network. I think they all have streaming platforms, though. So there's the possibility of them letting people watch it through that.

10. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
  11. IZIE

IZIE Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Seems like A&E networks for NWSL

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  12. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Just posted in the general thread. Forgot about this one.

Hopefully its the main channel. They also own Lifetime, LMN, Lifetime Real Women, History, and others I don't think I've seen on my local cable subscription.

13. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I hope it's not on A&E. The whole point of putting the show on traditional television is for exposure. Just look at the A&E lineup. I can't imagine a lot of Duck Dynasty fans are gonna want to watch NWSL games... Lifetime would probably be better, they might be able to get some fans of Project Runway to watch.

14. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing either Lifetime or Viceland.

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I hope it works out better for them than PAX did for WUSA... :cautious:

16. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I think a lot of the same criticisms could be said about the A&E networks as were said about PAX. Except that most people have at least heard of the A&E, History, and Lifetime channels. But they're still not exactly where people go to watch sports...

I guess one possible positive is that Disney and Hearst have split ownership of A&E Networks, so there is a chance maybe the playoff games could be shown on one of the ESPNs (which for those that might not know is also owned by Disney and Hearst, though it's an 80/20 split).

17. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Coming up after "Storage Wars" on A&E, we provide all you storage locker fans with some Women's Soccer action.
    And you "Duck Dynasty" fanatics, get your NWSL Bobbleheads on sale, via the 1-900 number on your screen.
    Watch NWSL action live this Saturday, when the Carolina Courage take on the Seattle Rain (A&E spells it wrong).

Can't wait to see some advertising promos on A&E.

As for Viceland, what the Fahk is that?

Look at their freaking website, LOL .............

https://www.viceland.com/en_us

-------------------

18. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    A&E? Sure...ok I guess.

As long as this deal doesn't preclude the easily accessible YouTube streams, I have no objections. But if they forego YouTube for an obscure cable channel that many fans do not have and does not have a streaming service (like FoxSports2Go or ESPN3), it's problematic.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Have to think the best u can hope for is a game of the week so u'll be getting the rest on YouTube. Hopefully the cable game is also quickly added to the YouTube account

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Considering A&E doesn't already do sports production, I wonder if teams will continue to produce the content and A&E will just show it. If so, while u don't get the production/talent upgrade u got from ESPN/FS1, u also don't have the problem of them only wanting to show matches from MLS facilities

21. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Both A&E and History offer Live TV on their apps with cable subscription signin. Lifetime does not.

Attach through Tapatalk screwed up to show it

22. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should hope the games would still be on youtube, at the very least a few hours later

23. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Even though we no longer have to deal with WNY's 480i upscaled but not de-interlaced to 720p terrible quality video, other than Seattle and the MLS/NASL owned teams, their self-production quality is not quite adequate enough for a television broadcast. So we'd still likely only see games from the MLS/NASL facilities.

However, it would make sense for A&E to use ESPN's production services, seeing as how they are owned by the same company and all. I certainly hope at least that they would be using a satellite uplink for the backhaul rather than the unreliableness of delivering them over the internet (as was experienced with the Thorns/Dash produced games that were streamed on Fox Sports GO two seasons ago).

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It just seems a lot to do this close to the season and the less Lifetime or whoever has to invest in production, the better the deal for the league

25. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    More to ponder ...

MiLLeNNiuM and sitruc repped this.