2017 FSU

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Got Jukes?, Dec 8, 2016.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, I apologize if it came across as offensive, because it wasn't my intention at all.

Probably also due to my bad competence at English: consider I am not even sure what "a dig" means in this circumstance.

2. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    All is good. I thought there may be a language barrier, but I wasn't sure. A "dig" is a criticism. It is not constructive criticism like a coach would give , but negative and demeaning.

blissett repped this.
  3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just took it as a good natured joke. And actually, among the Thorns players involved in the Euros themselves and also including their GK coach Nadine Angerer, there was a good deal of very friendly and funny trash talking.

blissett repped this.
  4. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like Patten will not arrive at FSU for a couple of weeks, as the U19 Euros are just underway.

5. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks for the information. Our tough games don't kick in until September.

6. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    We look to have quality depth so that national team absences won't kill us hopefully :)

7. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
  8. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any thoughts on why FSU is so low in the United Soccer Coaches Poll (renamed from the NSCAA)?

I don't follow college soccer super closely, but follow the team, and surprised to see them at No. 15 behind four other ACC teams right after a majority of coaches picked them to win the conference. Between that and the ACC and MAC award lists, and recent gets on the recruiting trail, I had slightly shifted my expectations upwards to Top 5-type territory.

What are the major questions for the team? Youth, midfield play, jelling up top? Seems like a lot of pieces in place to be pegged for No. 15

9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a useless poll. Ignore it.

10. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Season starts this Friday. Go Noles!!!

11. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Garnet and Gold glasses fully in place here, but I think this year May be Special.
    At FSU special is defined as getting that 2nd natty.

We'll get our first glimpse tomorrow.
    ACCN is getting us much more TV coverage, but the first 2 games are not on TV.
    Hoping some of you will give exhaustive takes if you get to see the games.

Go Noles!

12. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
  13. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I think it was funny and lighthearted.
    I think the girls just need to have fun!
    I'm hoping it suggests good team chemistry, but
    that would be reading too much into it.

We'll start getting some answers tonight!

blissett repped this.
  14. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I followed on live stats.
    Won 3-0.
    Deyna with all three goals.
    Dominated shots. They had no SOGs We had 11.
    29 shots versus 4.

Would love to see some highlights.
    Short of that, maybe someone can give us a detailed report on the game.

SeminoleTom repped this.
  15. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mcfarland was in shorts, and where is Berkely? Also didnt Carle come in as a forward, she was listed as starting defender, unless that was a mistake.

16. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Good questions.
    Is there some age group stuff (Malia) going on?

17. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the highlights Malia is seen wearing the dreaded acl brace :'(

18. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hi, people. Are you all aware that Deyna Castellanos is the only U-20 player who has been shortlisted for the Best FIFA Women's Player of the Year (the current equivalent of what in previous years was FIFA Player of the Year/Ballon d'Or)? :) See here.

20. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Very impressive.
    It looks like Mark has decided to put her up top this year. Last year she was an AMF. This year she's a F at the top of the spear!
    She is incredibly creative and instinctive.
    3 goals is a good start to the season, but I don't want this team to become a One Woman show!
    Multiple girls with 7 plus goals this year would be great.

21. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    In that same shot where you see her in the brace, there is a girl on the opposite side with a lower leg brace or boot.
    Do you know who it is? Could that have been KM?
    Anyone there with knowledge?
    I know Mark is secretive, but they are on the sidelines, someone must have seen them.

22. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008

These are highlights of UNC Duke which UNC won in OT.
    I'm no soccer expert so I'm looking for an honest opinion.
    At the 18 to 23 second mark, Duke gets called for a foul which leads to a successful
    FK from Boyles of UNC.
    My untrained eye doesn't see the foul. Was it a good call? Why?

Not trying to stir up controversy to any UNC or Duke lurkers.
    Honest question.

23. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I'm always for fairness so I don't mind your question, but I always caution against second guessing referees as we have a hugely unfair advantage of the time to parse the video footage from a different angle than the ref saw it. As I always said to my youth players when I coached, "just remember that the ref is part of the game too, and she or he makes honest mistakes just like you do."

That said, examining the collision frame by frame, what actually took the UNC player Emily Fox down was the bump and left forearm of the the defender coming from her right. However, from this "Monday morning quarter backing" TV frame-by-frame analysis (and in this case the camera had the better perspective than the ref), the underlying reason was that Fox had stretched her dribble and was reaching with her left leg for the ball making her balance unstable and susceptible to the defensive bump which otherwise might not have been seen as a foul. From the ref's perspective from behind the play he would have seen Fox running a straight line away from him (and slightly from right to left) and seen the two defenders converging on her. When she was sandwiched between the two she was spun around and fell backwards and to her left with the momentum of the defender coming from her right carrying her over Fox to her other side as she too was knocked down by the collision. From the ref's perspective it surely looked like a foul. I think that 9 out of 10 refs would have whistled it. From the better angle of the TV camera (and you and me) it is questionable.

Does this analysis speak to your question, Tom?

(PS. I have a frame by frame analysis of a PK call last season against UNC that clearly shows that the forward took a dive, but I never posted that series of frames documenting the dive because I realized that from the ref's point of view it looked like a foul.)

24. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Yes.
    I'm relatively new to the game.
    I started following when FSU took up the game and began having some success under Mark's predecessor.
    I have learned that some significant contact is OK under many circumstances.
    "Advantage" is a huge key as it should be.
    I personally would not have called that a foul, but don't think it was an egregious miss
    or some conspiracy.
    You also made a good point about the speed and angle at which the ref saw the play.
    Totally understandable.
    As in any sport, the main thing I ask of an official is consistency throughout the game.

2 well matched teams!