2017 FSU

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Got Jukes?, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I think you may be onto something Ben.
    Like crazy horse, I will be interested to see how Mark switches the pieces around to get the best players on the field.

2. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    My opinion was that the team became about an individual for the past two seasons. The 2 years prior (2013 & 2014) everyone was included in all the media aspects and felt like an important part of the team. Didn't matter if you were a 4 year star or a new freshman, everyone took part in media videos. The last two years - with a new media person/s- the articles and media became about one or two players only all year with a random rare inclusion of maybe two other players here and there. It affected team chemistry and caused frustration to the other players who worked as hard as the "chosen" ones, if not harder.
    Was very excited to hear Coach K addressing the fact that team will need to mold together to be successful in this following video. Hope coaches really address team chemistry this year.

http://seminoles.com/expectations-high-as-soccer-opens-camp/

3. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    http://seminoles.com/sports/soccer/
    new video
    http://seminoles.com/sports/soccer/roster/

The roster
    includes 3 stud internationals.
    Anna Patten English U17 defender
    Gabrielle Carle Forward?
    Canadian U20 team. May even have tip a cap with the WNT? not sure.
    Gloriana Villalobos
    12 appearances with Costa Rican full NT.
    Very creative MF.
    I have heard she is also very tough despite her 5'4" frame.
    Brooke Bollinger was thought to be an 18 recruit who is in school now.
    I suspect she will redshirt and learn from Cassie.

Great talent on this team. Will they gel?

4. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Jukes I agree!
    I also think it's important for a couple of upper class leaders really take charge of this
    chemistry!

5. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Just for fun, I will project the starting lineup. I'll also throw in options. I'd appreciate feedback :)
    Goalie Cassie
    Two wide backs Emma and Malia
    To center backs Natalia and Anna
    Holding midfielder Gloriana
    Wide Midfield Kaycie and Megan
    Attacking midfield Deyna
    Forwards Kristen and Gabrielle

Have at it

6. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    You're pretty spot on, but don't you think Natalia and Malia should switch? Kuikka plays outside back, not center.

7. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Couldn't remember. I'm OK with that.
    Also think it's possible Heidi plays WMF in lieu of Megan.
    Megan could switch up to AMF with Deyna to forward.
    Kristen could come back to CB or even holding MF pushing Gloriana up.

My unexpert preference would be
    Cassie, WB Nat and Emma
    CB Malia and Anna
    HMF Kristen
    WMF Kaycie and Heidi Make Megan earn it after a less than dominant Soph campaign
    AMF Gloriana
    F Gabrielle and Deyna

but that's just me.
    Bring Heidi, Olivia, Dallas, Angeline and whomever else shines in the preseason.
    I expect there will be ample opportunities for subs due to various NT commitments.

I've never seen Mark as excited before a season. He couldn't restrain himself from
    talking about the talent on this team. That is highly unusual for Mark.

8. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see Richardson starting up top, and who knows for the open center back position (our biggest question mark). I think Heidi is recovering from some kind of leg ailment and may redshirt.

9. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    In regards to Adrienne, have you seen her play and expect her to start, or are you going off of high school accolades?

10. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen her play, just a guess.

11. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    If you were looking for speed, I hear Bella Dorosy is very very fast

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teaser: I have Florida State ending the season at #1.

Got Jukes? repped this.
  13. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    We feel like FSU should make a return to the college cup. It all depends upon chemistry in my opinion.

14. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
  15. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    This is the most international talent they've ever had.
    Will the domestic talent be good enough to compliment with their internationals?

FSU Internationals (2017)
    Megan Connolly (Ireland) (could be the Hermann Trophy winner THIS YEAR)
    Anna Patten (England) (stud player from England, will be on their senior national team eventually)
    Deyna Castellanos (Venezuela) (arguably the best player from the U-17 WWC last year)
    Gloriana Villalobos (Costa Rica) (best talent to ever come from Costa Rica, once she is developed)
    Gabby Carle (Canada) (up and coming starter for years for the Senior Canadian national team)
    Natalia Kuikka (Finland) (All-American in 2016, one of the best players ever from Finland)
    Emma Koivisto (Finland) (one of the best overall players in college soccer today)
    Heidi Kollanen (Finland) (another stud player from Finland)

Why in the hell are they not recruiting more of these players?

16. Really?

Really? Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Club:
    Al Nasr Riyadh
    They have to be able to pass the TOEFL. Even with his 75% foreign starting lineup he still has to deal with UNC, Duke, Notre Dame and Virginia. They are one of the best 6 teams in the country for sure. It will be very interesting to see what happens.

17. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm guessing it has to do with scholarship allocation. I believe women's soccer has 15 scholarships to divide. I'm guessing most of the internationals take a full scholarship; whereas, players from the state of Florida have various other funding sources plus lower cost of tuition.

18. RtD!

RtD! Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Tom: I count 27 on the roster. Is that Mark's biggest roster ever? Certainly is in the last 8 or so years i have been following them closely.
    12 newcomers is a lot. Hate to say it but probably at least 1/2 of them won't make it back for their 2nd year.

19. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    It's definitely on the big side! I'm sure there will be some attrition. How much there will be, I don't know. Domestic recruits, especially state of Florida recruits have lots of other funding sources, so those?15? or so scholarships go a long way. The real issue is that almost all of these girls are studs and may want to move on when they don't see the kind of playing time they expect.

20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'm on this thread, Dagny Brynjarsdottir had a really good game for the Thorns on Sunday. Interesting bit of info, she shares housing with Denmark Thorn Nadia Nadim. There's an historic connection between the two nations, so it makes sense.:thumbsup:

blissett and Got Jukes? repped this.
  21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, then she could enjoy being alone at home between Iceland's elimination from Euro 2017 and the final where her room-mate scored! :p

22. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    cpt
    Dagny not having success would be the only thing that would surprise me!
    She makes any all time FSU team imo unanimously!!!
    Despite the rude comment above, I wish Dagny nothing but the best.

23. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    By the way, the population of Iceland is approximately 336,000 people. Anything they accomplish on the international soccer stage is nothing short of amazing!

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sorry, mate, I can't see what was being been rude in it. o_O Just wanted to refer to the fact that Nadim reached the Euro 2017 final, but there was no particular pun intended...

Of course, Iceland in general and Dagny in particular had a good display at the tournament, but they weren't expect to reach the latest stages anyway.

25. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Well mate saying she could "enjoy being home alone "seems like a dig to me.
    Dagny is held in high esteem on this board.