2017 FSU

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Got Jukes?, Dec 8, 2016.

1. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't get a chance to see any of the game, but that final stats line is not very promising. I'm not optimistic that getting injured players back would close a 4-22 shot differential. Furthers lingering concerns that FSU has fallen behind the big guys in talent acquisition. Or Stanford may just be that exceptional.

2. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Just a couple of thoughts. Sweepsit
    I do think Stanford is that good. They don't lose much, so they will probably be that good again next year.
    Although the stats look lopsided, the difference between getting dominated in possession and playing even or better is actually pretty small.
    Not saying we get the player who can make the difference, but one or two key players can make that difference.
    In my opinion which isn't worth much, but a stud holding midfielder and a fast forward to complement Castellanos and we are on their level.
    I would put McFarland into center back. Berkeley into wide back. That would give size and skill in the back line.
    Madril into holding midfielder and hope for a stud attacking forward to emerge to help Deyna. EM as a holding midfielder has tantalizing possibilities. She is big physical strong and fast. She has shown the ability to dispossess other players. She has shown a remarkable ability to attack all the way up the field.
    Teams can double up on Deyna, but they can't double up on her and another skilled forward without leaving wide midfielders open.
    If Mark calls me, I'll be sure and share this. Otherwise, I'll just leave my wisdom on this board :)

olelaliga and sweepsit repped this.
  3. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Sanford is indeed just that exceptional. Their recruiting has been spectacular for about 7 or 8 years now. They are sort of in a position that UNC used to occupy for so long as the early adopter before the rest of the college world really got started. Stanford pretty much gets the cream of the crop year after year.

UCLA is only a notch behind, followed by Penn State then a bunch together headed by Duke, UNC, Virginia, Florida State, USC, California, TAMU, Clemson, South Carolina, Florida, Notre Dame, etc. All this if one looks at recruiting through a 3 or 4 year moving window --not each year necessarily (except for Stanford which has stupendous recruiting classes every year.) It is the era of the California PAC12 schools, but with Stanford far in the recruiting lead

Why is this so? I suspect because Stanford has a number of factors aligned in its favor. First, they are a great destination for location, delightful weather, cultural environment, wealth & entrepreneurship / internships(silicon valley). Then they have an excellent academic reputation (and parents covet a Stanford diploma for their athlete kid.) Then a beautiful campus. Then they are extremely well endowed and can (and do) apply some of that money directly to making being a student there affordable (regardless of being an athlete) Then they can add the attraction of soccer scholarships. It's no wonder that the rest of the college world can hardly compete with Stanford for the top women soccer players.

(Duke is trying to position itself similarly as a private school, as is Notre Dame, and Princeton. But each of these other schools has one or two small handicaps that Stanford simply does not have. (Notre Dame winter weather, Duke sweltering summer and fall, Princeton the Ivy League.)

sweepsit, Crazyhorse and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  4. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that great post Soccerhunter, some great information. I often wonder how UCLA and Stanford dont have more national titles, as you said they have certinaly been stock piling the talent for awhile now.

I also agree that Stanford is exceptional, and FSU has never been able to pull top domestic talent year after year. The only domestic recruiting class that FSU has had that was amazing, was the Pressley, Short, McCarty, Huster one of 2008, still cant believe they never won the championship.

As far as whats missing? I think Tom is right, a fast forward to pair with Deyna would be great, and next year look for Carle to be in the attack. This past season she was moved to the backline with the injury to Berkely. I think Jaelin Howell is a holding middie, but I could be wrong.

5. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    ch,
    I have my doubts that a freshman will be tough enough for the holding MF role, but I make a habit of being wrong, so....
    I really like the idea of Emily b/c she would be tough to beat defensively and she would see the ball more often and more offensively.

I'm sure Mark has other ideas, but....
    It'll be fun to see who comes in and what pace and skill set they bring.
    EM was a pleasant surprise!

One or two pleasant surprises and we are back to the final 4.

6. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Howell is largely considered as the best 6 in the country I believe has a full national team cap. Father I think was a professional football player.
    I, for one, will be interested to see how her game translates to the ACC next fall.

7. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I couldn't be any happier than if Jaelin came in and starred in any role including HMF.

8. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the commentary and thoughts, everyone. Helpful for context. As a casual fan following the team and catching a few games, I end up wondering where the drop off in post season results has come from in recent years when obviously still have solid talent and coaching. Makes the college cup runs from a few years ago all the more impressive!

I really like Madril’s game as well. Curious to see how she’ll be deployed next year as well. Hoping the returns from injury see the back line return to the standard of the last few years as well!

9. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Just watched Stanford take down a fine USCe team 2-0.
    Unlike FSU, when they get the ball in the final third, they usually find a way to dribble or pass into the box!
    If it doesn't look perfect, we pull it back out and pass it around until we lose it.

To be fair, they have much more speed and that freshman from Brazil is very fast AND skilled!

We need to add some speed with great ball skills.
    Stanford and UCLA both return a lot of players!

socalsoccer23 and sweepsit repped this.
  10. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Catching Stanford or UCLA will be difficult, but not impossible.
    We do get Edwards, McFarland and Berkley back.
    That should make us stronger in the back. and midfield.

I'm hoping Mark pulls a fast and skilled forward with this class or transfers
    to go with DC.
    All the top teams have pace up top.
    We'll see!

Give me that pace and the returning players, and FSU could challenge those teams.