2017 Friendly: Union v Swansea City, July 15, 2017 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cwelch999, Jul 12, 2017.

?

Predict The Outcome: Union v. Swansea City

Poll closed Jul 15, 2017.
  1. Win

2.9%
  2. Loss

8.8%
  3. Tie

2.9%
  4. Meh

85.3%
  1. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got free tickets from my old job, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this game. The Union played some good soccer in the second half, and some of the fringe guys impressed me. Trusty held his own outside of a few bad passes. He definitely looks like a promising player. Aaron Jones, as well, made some timely tackles and interceptions and looked good going forward.

My two biggest stand outs were probably Najem and Fontana. The former did a wonderful job keeping the ball moving with one touch passing in a way we haven't seen in a while. Few of his passes were spectacular, but the attack just smoothly ran around him. The latter made a great run from deep in midfield shortly after coming on. He looked fearless on the dribble and like a constant threat going forward. I am excited to see both develop over the next few years.

billf and jaykoz3 repped this.
  2. Yo-Joe

Yo-Joe Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Montco/Philadelphia, USA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Maybe not quite 16K in the stands, but surprisingly at least 13K. It was an enjoyable game to watch, and like Tyr said, the kids looked promising.

3. SOwannaB

SOwannaB Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Jack Elliott/Austin Trusty pairing could definitely be the future, perhaps by 2019. I haven't been impressed by Yaro lately.

4. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    They should probably be trying to move him or Marquez over the next few months.

5. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phillyspur and Union42 repped this.
  6. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was entertaining reading. Some of my favorite excerpts:

"Some bird is murdering the Welsh National anthem."
    "Impressive that this commentator is managing to feck up pronouncing "Swansea"
    "I don't think I can listen to this any more. The bloke is winding me right up."
    "We play in a uniform according to commentator. Never heard a football kit called that before"
    "Playing Man U in a months time. Looking good!!!" Response: "Man U are currently losing 3-0 to Nebraska Knoblicks."
    "Anyone know what all the Game of Thrones references are all about for this game?"
    "Lets be honest, considering the opposition we are p"ss poor. "
    "They are league 2 at best."
    "Vdh schooled by a player released by Orient."
    "Those bloody commentators were doing my head in."
    "Just be thankful that we don't have to listen to that standard of commentary each week."

cwelch999, Ruud11 and thomas19064 repped this.
  7. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Some of the comments there are awesome:
    "Same chick for both anthems? Kinda impressive! Or cheap. 2 ways of looking at it."

So they are familiar with the Union then?

cwelch999, drewuke, thomas19064 and 3 others repped this.
  8. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In another thread someone said it was probably the biggest game in history of the Union... lol, if only they came to this thread and saw how much we don't give a shit about them.

cwelch999 and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  9. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swansea supporters seem to share the same delusions as Union Reddit.

Phillyspur, drewuke and thomas19064 repped this.
  10. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go post a link. I'd be amused to see them read our forum and complete lack of give a damn about them.

I enjoyed their mocking of our broadcasting "C" team. They couldn't even find a color commentator. They just had Edu roll up and give it a go. At least they are paying him to actually do something, which is cool.

11. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Are we League 2 at best or are they talking about their own team? Pretty sure they just played half our academy and couldn't beat them.

12. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The open practice at Penn was awesome. So glad I went since the drills and skills of the players were very good. Was obvious that the team was in pre-season mode and the practice was a hard one, the day before the game. So they were obviously somewhat tired during the game. I actually enjoyed this practice more than a lot of Union games. There were all-in-all circa 40 of us watching. Most were Swansea supporters who had traveled with the team from the UK but some came from other cities in the US.

13. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TBF weren't they pretty much a B-Squad, too?

14. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Guessing so, but an EPL B-team still probably earns way more than most of our starters so they probably ought to clean up against Brian Carroll and the kids.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  15. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Oh wow, I had a laugh at first, but bimbo really is like the n-word in Germany.

16. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    ?