2017 Friendly Foreign Invasion: The Cash Machine Keeps Churning

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by BostonRed, Dec 19, 2016.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    ICC's 2017 USA lineup includes Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester United, Juventus

July 19 - Roma vs. PSG; Site TBD; 8:05 p.m.; ESPN2
    July 20 - Manchester United vs. Manchester City; Site TBD; 9:05 p.m.; ESPN
    July 22 - Juventus vs. Barcelona; MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ; 5:05 p.m.; ESPN
    July 22 - PSG vs. Tottenham; Camping World Stadium, Orlando, FL; 8:05 p.m.; ESPN2
    July 23 - Real Madrid vs. Manchester United; Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara, CA; 5:05 p.m.; ESPN
    July 25 - Tottenham vs. Roma; Red Bull Arena, Harrison, NJ; 8:05 p.m.; ESPN
    July 26 - Barcelona vs. Manchester United; FedEx Field, Landover, MD; 7:35 p.m.; ESPN2
    July 26 - PSG vs. Juventus; Hard Rock Stadium, Miami; 9:05 p.m.; ESPN News/ESPN2
    July 26 - Manchester City vs. Real Madrid, LA Coliseum, Los Angeles; 11:35 p.m.; ESPN
    July 29 - Manchester City vs. Tottenham; Nissan Stadium, Nashville, TN; 5:05 p.m.; ESPN2
    July 29 - Real Madrid vs. Barcelona; Hard Rock Stadium, Miami; 8:05 p.m.; ESPN
    July 30 - Roma vs. Juventus; Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, MA; 4:05 p.m.; ESPN

TxEx, EvanJ and BostonRed repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latest applicable events from the Soccer Insider column:

March 25: Chivas vs. Leon friendly in Carson, Calif.

March 26: Club America vs. Morelia friendly in San Jose

March 26: El Salvador national team vs. Olimpia (Honduras) in Houston

May 27: Mexico vs. Croatia friendly in Los Angeles

June 1: Mexico vs. Ireland friendly in East Rutherford, N.J.

June 28: Mexico vs. Ghana friendly in Houston

July 7-26: CONCACAF Gold Cup at U.S. venues

July 19-30: International Champions Cup at several U.S. venues

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-2017-soccer-calendar/?utm_term=.ca9e19f7775f

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I honestly feel the volume of these friendlies does more to harm/stifle the growth of our domestic products than the access to foreign leagues and clubs via TV. We can't do away with La Liga or Serie A so fans can always tune into those options, but they're also typically on a different times than local leagues in the States. Those teams making so many trips Stateside, however, interrupts some of the attention and resources we could devote to local teams. To say nothing of reinforcing the financial advantages already available to those (mostly) elite European clubs.

I don't mind the occasional touring match but I really wish teams couldn't do more than, say, 2 such games in a single foreign country every 3-5 years. Same applies to national teams.

I know this won't happen but a man can dream.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    March 22, 2017
    Santos Laguna 4-0 Leon (friendly)
    Toyota Stadium, Frisco, TX
    Attendance: not available

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New addition:

Tigres - Toluca friendly, March 25th, Toyota Stadium, Frisco, TX

They are even offering free admission!

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you about the European clubs playing in the USA hurting local clubs, but the USA is so big that a club could play five games in the USA and still have big cities hundreds of miles away from the nearest place that club played. I might want to see Manchester United, but I'm not going to fly to see them. Unless their game against Manchester City with site to be determined is in the northeast, fans in the New York City and Boston areas would have to go to Maryland to see Manchester United. Fans in Texas would have to go to northern California or Maryland unless the site to be determined is in the south. What I might support is MLS limiting how often clubs can play friendlies against foreign clubs.

Does the USSF make money from these games? If so, they could compete with MLS but make money for the USMNT and USWNT.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, as near as we can figure it, this is line item represents the fees paid to USSF (required under FIFA rules, at least for NT matches). There may be additional revenue that USSF makes as well.

international game revenue:

FY 2016: $4,241,754
    FY 2015: $8,024,177

EvanJ repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    March 26, 2017
    El Salvador 1-0 Olimpia (friendly)
    BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston, TX
    Attendance: not available

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This sounds like a Donald Trump soccer philosophy.

Seriously, I personally believe the more soccer to choose from the better it is for fans. I know people who saw Real Madrid here in Chicago in 2005 and were in awe of how great of a team they were and how wonderful soccer can be. These people were soccer novices who never really saw top of the line soccer events before and now they are fans for life.

Having the best teams play here in various cities across the land will only grow the sport in my opinion.

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I get where you're coming from, and as you can tell by my namesake I enjoy plenty of overseas football, as well. But -

- Pro sports are a different economic machine compared to, say, retail chains or software products. They're insular operations with relatively fixed market ties and, most importantly, a (ideally) direct connection with local fans. They also feature a co-dependency among teams. Fans aren't just going to see Man U, they're going to see Man U versus an opponent, in a chase for a league trophy.

- As I hinted I'd likely not care a whit expect that these tours are essentially done to keep plastic fans in line with supporting the same handful of giant clubs. Especially this concocted International "Champions" Cup. Cash grab for the already wealthy. On it's face I don't care if a bunch of fans want to go out and reward Juve by paying over the top to watch their scrubs, but seeing as this has a direct impact on their domestic competitors I'm comfortable with an opinion on the matter.

But understand I come at this from an idealist perspective. If leagues had some form of salary caps then I wouldn't care about advantageous revenue schemes.

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a point about "co-dependency." Many businesses would like to buy their competitors or have their competitors go out of business. The top clubs want much more revenue than other clubs and to beat the other clubs, but the top clubs don't want the other clubs to go bankrupt (at least I hope they don't). I don't have a problem with the top clubs making much money than other clubs directly from getting 50,000+ fans at games, whether they're domestic league, Champions League, friendlies, or International Champions Cup games. I do have a problem with La Liga giving Barcelona and Real Madrid much more money from TV than everybody else. As long as the TV rights for La Liga are sold by the league rather than by the clubs, the TV money should be distributed equally. There's a difference between a league allowing its clubs to have revenue inequality and contributing to revenue inequality.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #40 BostonRed, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Pretty good turnout for a youth tournament match:

Following the Dallas Cup “Welcome World” Opening Ceremonies, the marquee match of the day took place between the world-famous Manchester United academy and prestigious Mexican side C.D. Guadalajara “Chivas”. The historic Cotton Bowl Stadium had some extra buzz as the two sides immediately showed their class on the pitch in front of the record Dallas Cup crowd (19,417 total attendance).

TBF, there were 2 other matches on Sunday,
    Everton FC - FC Dallas.
    Eintracht Frankfurt - Mexico’s Tigres

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of matches in the US a possibility in 2026:

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to agree with you, but there is one thing that worries me. That is the way that ticket prices have gotten so far out of hand. Fans (at least the ones I know) have a finite amount of money they can spend on tickets. Is spending on Real Madrid, Manchester United and PSG hurting spending on MLS? I don't know, but I think it's an interesting question. I do know that most of this year's ICC games are being played in MLS markets (and the Real Madrid-Manchester United game is being played three days before the CONCACAF Gold Cup final in the same stadium).

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And I would venture to say both those matches will sell out.

20. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're right, and I think you are. But it does worry me.

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA