2017 FIFA U20 World Cup: Non-U.S. team and tournament news

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 9, 2017.

1. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if Vietnam trounces Honduras and the US wins, the US would be in the odd position of knocking Germany AND Argentina out of the cup. Weird

So, argentina is crossing their fingers that the US turns up the heat on the Saudis

2. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel terrible for Iran, going out to an own goal, but I did appreciate that Uma Thurman overturned her own handling in the box PK ruling throughout VAR

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  3. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Tell you what - Ritsu Doan for Japan has looked really good this tournament so far. I know their wunderkind Kubo is supposed to be hot stuff, but this guy looks genuinely impressive in all aspects of his game - not just because he's scoring goals when they need them.

I think you've got the first part of that mixed up - Argentina and Germany would be eliminated if Vietnam wins and Saudi wins or draws (and Senegal gets a draw or better).

So if Vietnam wins and the US intentionally loses (or draws) Saudi (and Senegal draws Ecuador), then we bounce Argentina from the cup. ;)

Whether Germany is eliminated will be down to Vietnam more than what we and the others do in Group F. Vietnam would need a win AND to win by 4 goals to overcome the goal difference. Not yet having scored a goal in the tournament, that would be a major accomplishment by Vietnam.

Guinho repped this.
  4. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    He missed I think two wide open chances against Uruguay. Point blank headers. But he was in a position to constantly be a threat. That last goal where he diced through 4 italian defenders was unexpected. I still dont know where the space for the shot/dink into the net came from.

Gacm32 repped this.
  5. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    NZ plays three across the back with wingers. Built to be a physical and direct counterattacking team. They look much improved from 2015.

6. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    22' France does the business with a great Allan Saint-Maximin dribble across the top of the box besting 3 or 4 NZ defenders and unleashing a powerful shot low and just inside far post. It was coming and although NZ opened the match well they seem to have lost the plot now that France has decided to exert themselves.
    I've seen enough. NZ is who we want to meet next round for sure.

Gacm32 repped this.
  7. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Apparently two of NZ's best U-20's left the world cup squad to join the full team in preparation for the confederations cup (Dane Ingham and Clayton Lewis) both of whom had made their professional debuts.

8. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Saint-Maximin is a genius attacker. There is nothing to say about that second goal other than genius.

9. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Dude on France is giving new Zealand the business

10. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Yeah. He'd rip Herrera into shreds and CCV can't save him from this. France are on another level.

11. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC

Seriously though, Damn France is big, mean, fast, and don't look very French.

They really are showing they're one of the favoriates to win the tournament.

bballshawn repped this.
  12. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    The quality of play in the Honduras and Vietnam game is dire. It's shocking that the Hondurans managed to hold us scoreless in the CONCACAF final, but I imagine that has a lot to do with the grind of a tournament.

13. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Jeando Fuchs.

That's a great p$$nstar name.

That and the pitch was shit. On a bad pitch you can't pass on the ground and know how the ball is going to roll unless you have experience on shitty fields.

Gacm32 repped this.
  14. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Also remember "CONCACAF'd" refs also play a roll.

more fun to watch bad exciting football, instead of boring precision one sided football. The Vietnam screeching girlish sounding fans makes it more fun too.

Gacm32 repped this.
  15. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    LOL at the free kick in stoppage time by the Vietnam player...

16. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Then Honduras counters with another... good for them.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Any update on if we are already through to the next round and who we might play?

18. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    You play New Zealand in the Round of 16.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Question: If a European or even an MLS club buys Josh Sargent's rights, will the Scott Gallagher club get the money? I can't remember if a court ruled a year or so ago about youth academies getting to make a profit about the selling of their players or not. I remember there were complaints that they weren't getting the transfer fees but don't recall the outcome of the ruling. Just curious....

20. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    There never was a ruling. That case was thrown out in a US court in Texas due to lack of jurisdiction, so the youth clubs got nothing. It's always possible they may try to place the lawsuit in another court.

http://sbisoccer.com/2017/03/class-action-lawsuit-against-bradley-yedlin-dempsey-dismissed

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's too bad and not right. I know Juventus paid Palermo a fee of €32 million plus €8 million in add-ons for 21 year old Paulo Dybala. I believe the €8 million in add-ons Juve will have to pay are for future transfers and signings that they will have to owe the Sicilian club.

I know Sargent or anyone else in the US system aren't quite worth Dybala's fees but I'm sure a youth academy that is unaffiliated with a pro club like Scott Gallagher could easily benefit by even $500k in a transfer fee....

22. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Argentina gets knocked out by a Peruvian ref. Hmm.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    UEFA manages a perfect record for the group stage: 5 out of 5 made the R16.

Otherwise:

C-CAF 3/4
    AFC 3/5
    CAF 2/4
    C-BOL 2/4
    OFC 1/2

That's a poor tournament for Africa & S. America, good one for N. America.

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Since two-thirds of the teams in the tournament advance, you could argue that only UEFA and CONCACAF did well, mathematically speaking.

25. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    So who do we want between Japan and Venezuela? Any thoughts?