2017 FIFA U17 World Cup: Non-U.S. team and tournament news

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The draw is Friday. From the inbox:

FIFA and the Local Organising Committee (LOC) today announced the participation of FIFA Legends Esteban Cambiasso and Nwankwo Kanu along with Indian sporting icons Sunil Chhetri and PV Sindhu at the Official Draw for the FIFA U-17 World Cup India 2017.

Kanu and Cambiasso are no strangers to the FIFA U-17 World Cup. Kanu held the Winner’s Trophy aloft with Nigeria’s Super Eaglets in 1993 while Argentina’s great Cambiasso participated in the 1995 edition.
    Also, today I noticed a story on FIFA's website touting Takefusa Kubo's participation. I suppose if there were any lingering concerns about Sargent's ability to participate, there probably shouldn't be.

http://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/new...prodigy-kubo-eyes-glory-in-india-2900221.html

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's some roster tidbits from the tournament rules:
    • The provisional roster deadline is not in the document. The roster is 35 players, with 4 GKs required. Changes for "exceptional cases" must be submitted in writing no less than 10 days before the final roster deadline.
    • The final roster deadline is 10 business days (this, I seem to recall, is a bit clearer than the U20 regulations) before the tournament's first match, which is Friday, Oct. 6. All players selected must be on the provisional roster. It is a 21-player roster with 3 GKs.
    • Players on the final roster can be replaced with a player from the provisional roster for injury reasons up to 24 hours before the team's first match.
    http://resources.fifa.com/mm/docume...ion/02/88/01/81/reg_fu17wc2017_en_neutral.pdf

http://resources.fifa.com/mm/docume.../02/87/74/62/india-match-schedule_neutral.pdf

ielag repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    My understanding is that FIFA has not yet announced the provisional roster deadline.

4. alslammerz

alslammerz Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Staten Island, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pot 1: India, Mexico, Brazil, Germany, Mali, France
    Pot 2: Spain, Japan, New Zealand, England, Iran, USA
    Pot 3: Costa Rica, Korea DPR, Honduras, Iraq, Turkey, Colombia
    Pot 4: Chile, Paraguay, Ghana, Guinea, Niger, New Caledonia

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  5. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Draw is about to commence.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I've got it on the background -- right now, they're pulling Pot 1, so we should know one opponent pretty soon. Mexico was just pulled into Group F.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    We were pulled into A with India. There are some jokes about Sunil being happy.

Cpt_Savior repped this.
  9. Cpt_Savior

Cpt_Savior Member

Aug 10, 2011
    A2 Position with India in A1, so (I'm assuming) we will play against them in the first game of the tournament.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This is correct -- was mentioned onstage.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Colombia was just pulled into our group.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    And, of course, Ghana.

Alexisonfire repped this.
  13. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Could have been better, or worse.

14. Cpt_Savior

Cpt_Savior Member

Aug 10, 2011
    #14 Cpt_Savior, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    2017 u17 South American Qualifying - Colombia finished in 4th place with 7 points in the final stage, going 2-1-2 (W-D-L). They beat Ecuador (who got only 1 point) and Paraguay who finished in 3rd with 8 points. They lost to Brazil 3-0 and Chile 1-0. Tied Venezuela. Just looking at results, appears to be among the weaker teams from South America this cycle.

2017 u17 African Cup of Nations - Ghana finished first in their group 2-1-0 beating Cameroon and Gabon handily (4-0 and 5-0) before drawing Guinea. They beat Niger in penalties before losing to Mali in the final. Through the 5 games, they only allowed 1 goal, so likely a pretty strong defense.

India qualified as hosts and I'm too lazy to look at friendly results.

Edit: India did play in the AFC U16 Championships (Qualifiers) going 0-1-2 and finishing last in their group with a -4 GD. While obviously not the strongest team, playing the host can always cause issues.

Namdynamo, ussoccer97531 and Werdman89 repped this.
  15. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course we get Ghana.

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Playing in the opening game is a bonus. I'm not sure if anyone has done tournament analysis, but it seems to me that the teams in the last brackets are handicapped as they go deeper in the tournament by having less rest days between games. Injuries that don't have time to heal and just tired legs in the critical stages.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Decent draw. Could have been better. Could have been worse. I'll take it.

Lest we forget, the US U17s went on an India trip in 2016. I believe we beat them fairly convincingly...............4-0.

I like the idea of playing them on opening night. Have Indian U17s faced the kind of pressure and scrutiny they're likely to face on opening night? What kinds of crowds are they used to? Kids either gain strength from that or shrink.

In order to advance well we'll need a result against a good team. That's always the case. We have the talent to do so.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. tippco333

tippco333 Member

AC Perugia
    United States
    Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a good draw for us. Mexico got the group of death

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman repped this.
  20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Ghana needs to be added to the death and taxes line.

SUDano repped this.
  21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The provisional roster deadline was August 11, according to a FIFA spokesman.

The final roster deadline is Sept. 21.

ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  22. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many wickets will the US take in that match? :ROFLMAO:

Hopefully, the US will get a century or two, too.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #23 Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Here's a FIFA PDF with all the squadlists:

http://tournament.fifadata.com/documents/FU17/2017/PDF/FU17_2017_SQUADLISTS.PDF

A quick Ctrl-F indicates that there are perhaps 11 2002s at the tournament (which is mostly 2000s and 2001s). I say "perhaps" because I didn't actually look at them and there may just be a "2002" or two in the document that isn't a player's birth year.

In the accompanying web article, American players are in the second paragraph:

Some emerging talents will be on display at India 2017. They include USA forward Josh Sargent, who shined at the recent FIFA U-20 World Cup Korea Republic 2017, where he scored four goals. His Stars and Stripes team-mate Tim Weah will be a familiar name to football fans worldwide. The Paris Saint-Germain striker is the son of African footballing legend George Weah.​

http://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/new...oungsters-set-for-indian-odyssey-2909087.html

Also, FIFA lists Akinola's full name as Grant Jesus-Sultan-Akinola Ogundimu. As someone who knows a thing or two about hyphenated names, go get 'em son!

TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I don't know if this is news worthy or if its been pointed out yet. But it looks like India has a kid on their roster who plays for Toronto's academy. I'm not going to pretend to know how citizenship works for India, but I'm aware that it's pretty complicated something about how you can't be a duel citizen and residency gets weird or something. I think there was an article about an American kid who is playing for India as well but is now in India playing for an academy, it struck me that it made it easier for him to play for them or something, I'm not entirely sure. I guess in reality I'm trying to pose a question. Is it a big deal for India to have this kid playing abroad on their national team, also is there any buzz about this?

Also, kudos to an MLS academy team having kids who are good enough to play for other youth national team. I'm not certain how common this is in Canada because that's not really information I follow all that often but obviously we're also bringing Ayo Akinola from TFC. I think it's a good sign that MLS is doing something right.

25. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    I'm not sure if this is the same person brotheryoung mentioned but here's an article on a New Jersey raised player on the Indian U-17 roster - http://m.timesofindia.com/city/goa/...es-to-star-for-india/articleshow/60811885.cms

Excerpt: “I grew up with many of the US players and I now have a chance to prove, not just I, but India are better than they are,” he said, confidence personified.

As a defender, Namit joined the team on a preparatory tour in Brazil and was pleasantly surprised. “To be honest, the Indian defence is a compact unit and play their lines very well. It’s well organized and it’s something I understand better,” Namit observes.

“The US are not really focused on the defensive line. They focus on build-up and just playing the game,” he said.

Starman* repped this.