2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup Korea [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, May 17, 2017.

1. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Chino means Chinese (man) and can be used in a variety of ways, ranging from academic (a man of Chinese descent) to pejorative (look at that Chink). It's common in Latin countries to refer to people that look a bit Asian to be referred to as chino or chinito. It's still rooted in racism but I guess the kid's gesture isn't directly racist. Still stupid as hell considering where the tourney is taking place.

killaorca repped this.
  2. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    Casual racism is pretty common in Latin American countries where Asians are practically non-existent (except for Sao Paulo). They don't bat an eye for this type of racism. Call it ignorance or indifference, they just don't give two shits lol.

Seol Korea, aeh1991 and zdrstvte repped this.
  3. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I think it's stupid to defend it. Whether you meant it for your friend or not, it still has a racist connotation, and shouldn't excuse him from doing it. He should just say sorry and move on.

aeh1991 and killaorca repped this.
  4. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    I agree that he should say sorry and move on.

All i'm saying is that it'd be easier to put a man on Mars than to combat this type of casual racism in Latin America. It's always gonna be there. People over there just don't have the cultural exposure that other cosmopolitan areas have.

5. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Anyone who does this "eye thing" is doing a racistically intolerant action.

killaorca repped this.
  6. Steven511

Steven511 Member

Jeonbuk FC
    South Korea
    Apr 1, 2017
    I get what all you guys are saying and agree he should apologize, but did you guys all grow up in Usa/Europe/Can/Aus? How do you guys feel about this http://nextshark.com/south-korea-sbs-laughing-legend-match-racist-blackface-skit/

or this

and don't come up with an excuse, there's countless youtube videos of minorities saying from THEIR OWN experiences that racism is real and alive in south korea, but most attribute it to a lack of cultural awareness more than outright racism.

If people get triggered when non asians make fun of asians, then those same people hopefully will take the same stance the other way around. I currently live in SK (spent parts of my life in Aus/USA) near Incheon and I don't care if someone is older or whatever reason, if I see blatent racism I will say something and will maybe even get up in the person's face, I'm that passionate about rooting that out of our society.

7. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    So in other words, you think two wrongs make a right?

Hyok, Ice cube and killaorca repped this.
  8. Steven511

Steven511 Member

Jeonbuk FC
    South Korea
    Apr 1, 2017
    Show me where I said that, a poster mentioned how Uruguay was less developed/poorer than SK. As if that was the reason the Uruguay player did what he did :rolleyes:. That comment flew under the radar though. I've been to Colombia and it's way better there for Asian guys in terms of dating + making non Asian friends than Aus/Usa. There are a lot of racist people but I think it's better to be an asian guy in SA than a brown/black person in SK.

I am not saying two wrongs make a right, I am saying that the speed to which we called out this dude out should go for all cases if that's what you want to stand for.

9. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ok, but we are discussing this because it happened just now. We're not discussing this because we care only about racism against Asians. I don't see how not mentioning racism in Korea is "making excuses".

Next time someone does something like this, must we all mention in our posts that Korea has racism as well?

aeh1991 and killaorca repped this.
  10. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Marcos Maidana's case is quite interesting though, because not only is his nickname/alias 'El Chino', but he got that nickname ever since he was young due to literally being born with Asian features (His eyes).

11. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I wouldn't feel regrettable if someone knocks his leg off with his boots.

12. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I know most BSK members are upset at this incident including me. But the bright side is that this kid learned a valuable lesson today, and his teammates probably picked up on it. Plus he is young and will mature.

13. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He apologized. Let's move on before we digress any further.

[​IMG]

hanul21, killaorca and edlee1992 repped this.
  14. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    Ok great, nothing to see here. Let's all move along and keep discussing how SHIT the KNT is.

15. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The entire team took a pic with that BS gesture. His mental weakness will remain as is.

16. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    When I lived in Chicago while attending college there, Black racism(toward Asians mostly) was real and alive. It hasn't become any better. Chris Rock and Steve Harvey do it openly and get away with it. Steve Harvey even sarcastically mock-apologized for his act and nobody even tried to call it out.

Social Justice Warriors like you are always annoying but then again your kind will not go away so I decided to enjoy your presence.

17. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    I am sure Jews too act like a fool when they are 20 but they don't let a 20 years old Anglo kid question about Holocaust. I don't fault them for it. They do their job in maximizing their gain by brutally employing what advantages they have. Koreans don't and think very highly of themselves for not doing it. They even chastise other Koreans who try to defend their race as narrow-minded.

There is a point where one gets really tired of all this and all you "wise men" who call for magnanimity a~~~ll the time. I think Koreans should be more practical and vicious. Even though this Uruguayan kid does not fully deserve it Koreans should expend all their resources to end this kid's career. Who cares about this little Hitler's human right? Fvck him. No more nice guys.

The whole Uruguayan team made the slant eye gesture and the Uruguayan FA even uploaded the picture proudly on their official site. Even FIFA got annoyed and demanded an explanation.
    I don't think anything will happen because KFA will be silent about this because... they think by doing so they will be seen as more mature in the eyes of the world.

This little puny Chung Mongkyu, Jung Mongjun's cousin, is quite annoying. His self-sense of greatness is quite comical. He thinks he should be silent about "kids' issue". The most pompous and insufferable twat I have ever seen. He is using KFA presidency as a platform to advertise "his scale of personality"(그릇). That is why he is not firing Lee Yongsu and Shitlike.

Pretentiously magnanimous and blindly conciliatory morons should just die.

18. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    Don't worry, Lee Seungwoo will probably harness all of that pent up anger when he [finally] becomes a pro footballer.

I can totally see that the "Han" is strong on that kid.

Also, take a chillpill. This is an internet forum. If you spend too much time thinking about the injustices of the world on an internet forum, you'll eventually want to commit suicide.

19. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    This afternoon I searched the internet to look for reactions to this incident. As expected, most of them, especially UK and their criminal descendants, were supportive of Uruguayans.(any surprise?) Spain was another one supporting them. not surprising here either.

The most comical argument was that slant eye gesture faithfully renders the facial shape of Asians so Asians should not be offended at all. It was followed by a guy married to an "Asian woman" who claimed that his wife and Asians in general don't care and even agree with such a depiction of them as if a morally loose and racially submissive Asian woman married to a White guy is representative of the whole race...

It is quite clear that most Koreans vastly overestimate the good will and moral uprightness of the vast majority of the world. All that racial sensitivity and other BS are reserved for "protected groups" like Blacks, Asian women so on so forth. Asian men are open game and will remain so as long as they slavishly try to suck up to white and black folk.

20. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Okay, but (probably) no one here would agree with any of that. The kid said that he's sorry. Maybe if he keeps doing this in the future we should be warier of accepting another apology, but for now you can't assume his guilt. Hounding him down and trying to end his career would be grossly disproportionate for what he did (which even you admit).

21. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    The point is that he may not do it again but others will. The Chile boy did it many years ago at U17 WC held in Korea and got away with it because soft hearted conciliatory fools of KFA wanted to be Gandhi just like you.

The underlying assumption of reciprocal goodwill and international decorum based on universal morality is a great illusion. In practice there are protected groups like Blacks, Gays, Asian Women, Third World trash or even Eastern Euro-trash who always make big scenes and compose sob stories about how they suffered injustice and the whole world owes them arms and legs to own up to it... while Asian men are just open game. Belittling Asian men is the safest pass time for these supposedly oppressed groups including Asian women. Asian men provide a good outlet for them- the oppressed - to be bad for once and play the oppressor instead. Moreover Asian men who resent it are seen as humorless nerds overly sensitive to innocuous jokes.

All punishments are disproportionate in nature. An accidental killer(homicide) is not likely commit the same crime again but the most societies punish him by locking him up. The more gratuitous the punishment is the more effective it is. My point is that the gross injustice the world threw down upon Asian men reached a point where the underlying assumption of (international) social contract and humanity is broken. These boys don't see Asian men as human beings in the first place. We are just monkeys to them. We should see them likewise. I don't care even if the Uruguayan boy commits a suicide as a result. If a Korean boy is just a monkey to Uruguayans he is likewise just a monkey to me.

I once worked as a substitute teacher in Chicago between graduate schools(changed the fields several times) and between jobs. I tell you that most Black kids and the majority of White kids don't see you as human beings let along teachers. In movies a Gandhi-like figure endures humiliation and hardship to finally reform them and win their love. But that is not realistic and even if it can be done I won't do it. Why am I required to do something a White or Black man is not required to do. I say FVCK YOU to the world. That is my very merry message to the world.

22. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Great post.

Now who likes Italy over England?

23. Steven511

Steven511 Member

Jeonbuk FC
    South Korea
    Apr 1, 2017
    Man you have a lot of hate, nothing in life is going to be equal. We're not all the same height, skill-set, looks, born into wealth, etc. Don't compare yourself to anyone else, just do the best you can and find happiness through your own avenue. Your whole epilogue is comparing yourself to other races.

24. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    LOL I am most likely taller than you, better built, better educated. While there may be small uncertainty about these, there is absolutely zero chance you have a higher IQ than mine. You need to scale down your own self-image.

25. Steven511

Steven511 Member

Jeonbuk FC
    South Korea
    Apr 1, 2017
    I didn't say anything of the sort? Re-read my post. I will repeat, we are all not the same in regards to anything. Asking why we aren't as good looking as X person, or as tall as Y person, etc. is a path to nowhere.