2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jun 14, 2017.

1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    U17 WC.jpg

Qualified teams -
    U17 WC.jpg

Draw -
    The draw will be held on 7 July 2017 in Mumbai, India.

Marcho Gamgee and ChristianSur repped this.
  2. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's been said before, but if we have a squad that is mostly fit then we're among the favorites if not thee favorites to win it.

3. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's been said before, but if we have most of our best players fit then we'll be one of the favorites if not thee favorites to win it all.

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It would be one hell of a year if U17's follow the U20's and become World Champions. The media would go into meltdown about giving young English kids an easier pathway to gain first team football more so than now after the U20's win. If we have a near full strength squad then it's a serious ambition and target.

5. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It'll be very tough of course but if we have key players there including future England senior stars Hudson Odio and Jason Sancho we could well do it (I think). We've got players to come back in, that missed out last time because of injury and maybe one or two others could make a claim before the squad is decided (late though it is).

6. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Angel Gomes back in plus the availability of more quality options in central midfield and England will have a very good chance of causing people to wheel out that hackneyed cliche about buses come 28 October.

7. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It's a big "if" though. It isn't hard to imagine a few crucial players being pulled out by their clubs, is it?

8. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Ryan Sessegnon not going is a given, Gibbs-White and Kane Wilson may be pulled out, the rest I'd be optimistic about unless they make an unlikely first team breakthrough. The FA did a good job of getting players released for the U20 tournament.

9. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    If he's at Fulham then he won't go, but if he transfer to one of the big clubs then I wouldn't rule him out - Spurs who are linked wouldn't be depending on him in his first season.

10. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    They're not going to buy him for silly money and then see him as an expendable/unneeded member of the squad (hopefully).

11. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I think if he does sign for a big club this summer, it's more than likely that he'll return to Fulham on loan.

itsonlymemate repped this.
  12. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    On the basis of the last euro and the qualifiers before, will be key to have our best central midfielders available : Oakley Boothe Kirby McEachran + Gomes. Then Sancho of course, and Phil Foden. Panzo at the back. If those ones are here we will win it.

13. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Would be interested to see some of the biggest Football League talents in the squad, though don't think I will. (Notably Morley from Rochdale and Styles from Bury)

14. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I wouldn't be too surprised if Liverpool's Curtis Jones got a "shock" promotion to the higher age group for the WC.

MH10 repped this.
  15. MH10

MH10 Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I really don't know what the favourite 11 would be... Foden, Sancho, Gomes, Hudson-Odoi all need to be playing in my opinion, but in this 4-2-3-1 system, it doesn't work out, unless Gomes is holding but that isn't his key main role...

16. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It's basically the role he's played for England so far, but not so much holding as one of a fairly even midfield two. I think the first-choice midfield and attack are reasonably settled at the moment: Gomes and TOB in midfield, and then Foden, Sancho, and Hudson-Odoi behind Brewster. Panzo and Guehi are probably the only other players who can be fairly confident of being first-choice in the absence of R. Sessegnon.

17. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He's an early 2001, it'd be a surprise if he did get in, although I generally share your views that he's a fine talent. Best chance is if other players are held back, but the queue of attacking midfielders ahead of him makes it an initial tough ask.

18. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    the best game I've seen from this team was against Romania, 90% possession and a chance every 3mn, Hudson-Odoi was playing upfront on his own, with Gomes behind him, Oakley Boothe McEachran Foden Sancho, Panzo Latibeaudiere in central defense.

MH10 repped this.
  19. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    McEachran is certainly one who could get the chop.

20. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    England use McEachran as a deeper midfielder than Chelsea do, and he was excellent in that role at the Euros. Can't see Cooper changing that, he's very important to the balance and control of the group, Gomes is the only player who could unseat him, and ideally you'd have both doing their thing alongside each other.

21. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Would make no sense, excellent at the euros to keep the ball and distribute from deep, and very good qualifying campaign. No chance. Could lose his place for Kirby maybe but would at least make the bench.

22. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As I've said for some time (before the Euros) sadly McEachran isn't up to it. And the Euros confirmed it (if confirmation were needed). He needs chopping out. Denny is another one. A World Cup would be wasted on them. Jones could do that job better. And it would be great experience for him.

23. MH10

MH10 Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Especially with the likes of Nya Kirby, Angel Gomes, Morgan Gibbs-White possibly involved... Also, is it only me that thinks Oliver Skipp has a lot of potential, although he's one of the youngest?

24. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Morgan Gibbs White didn't do better than McEachran with England. Kirby has probably more potential but the last games he played for England McEachran looked more composed. Given how well he performed at the euros it would be bizarre to drop him. Gomes different position.

25. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I find it bizarre you think McEachran played so well at the Euros. :confused:

MH10 repped this.