2017 Expansion Draft

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by BalanceUT, Oct 22, 2017.

1. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Sunny. Please someone take Sunny.

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, losing Luke would force CW to actually look at the CM position...

3. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was expecting to get full value for him though, not just get him off the roster. So it may go better now... but only if he somehow doesn't count as a DP for either side. I don't know roster rules well enough to say if it's possible.

4. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's basically what happened with Portland's expansion draft. They selected Robbie Findley even though Robbie had already signed with Nottingham Forest. Either they missed that fact or they just wanted his rights when he returned from England.

Mix had the same clause in his contract. NYCFC is still on the hook for his salary, and he's been on loan in Norway I believe. Hopefully CW/DLH are able to sell Yura or trade him without our cap being saddled with his salary.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True
    I'm thinking along the lines of some potentially good player (DP level) that a team is looking to bring in that hasn't played in the league before, though. That would be some next level expansion draft juevos.

As purely an example: LAFC joins the league in 2017 instead of 2018. As one of their picks they take the rights to Albert Rusnak from us. It would be bullshit for us, but it would be a really smart move by LAFC. Either they make us pay up for the spot back or, if they play their cards right, get a player they didn't have to do a lot of scouting on.

6. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I follow you now. That would be interesting. Discovery rights are trade-able and sell-able, what's to keep MLS from adding them to the expansion draft options? But that's also a pretty risky use of a pick unless if you've started discussions with the player's representatives.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or you know how close the other club is to signing the player. It's purely a money move at that point, sure, but it's not like the expansion draft is full of amazing players. Money can change a roster - look at ATL. Smart with a good amount of their expansion draft picks, but even smarter with the "welcome to the league" money

SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, our great form down the stretch obscured how many holes we have on the roster, and how good a job Petke did with tactics and the like (something I faulted him for from his NYRB days but don't any longer).

rslfanboy, goobx1, DrownedElf and 3 others repped this.
  9. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    An interesting point someone raised on Reddit is about the interaction between free agency and the Expansion Draft.

It's not clear that there's any value whatsoever in protecting someone who is an impending free agent. If we protect them, they're still able to test free agency waters. The same is true if they're selected by LAFC.

The best precedent I can find is last year with Jeff Larentowicz. He was available but unpicked in the expansion draft, but then Atlanta signed him anyway. There was no need to pick him, as that wouldn't have given them the exclusive right to sign him.

With this in mind, it seems pretty clear that we should expose Beckerman and Rimando, since we can just sign them back anyway. Tony is different since I think his contract has an option year.

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points
    I'm curious if/when the rules are posted about this expansion draft if they'll address free agents.

11. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'd be a nice way to keep KB and RImando, without having to protect them. I guess this all depends on what we're going to want to pay them, and what role they'll expect with the team. It's possible they won't stay anyway depending on things.