2017 Expansion Draft

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by BalanceUT, Oct 22, 2017.

1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot about this? For LAFC... heck, maybe they make a new rule that if LAG gets wooden spoon they get a 'wooden spoon for LA' draft!

2. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang. Can someone remind me of the rules for these things and who is eligible?

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rslfanboy repped this.
  4. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need an Armenian to attract a following in Glendale.

rslfanboy, Allez RSL and El-ahrairah repped this.
  5. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but that was in 2016 with two non-LA clubs. MLS changes the rules for LA clubs, so to make sure that LAFC wins the MLS cup next year, MLS won't let any club protect any players and a club can lose multiple players. And because the LA Galaxy sucked this year, MLS will let the LA Galaxy participate since they don't want LAFC to completely dominate the Galaxy and because it's the Galaxy.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might have dreamed it, or read it on the "You be the Don" boards, but I thought they weren't going to do an expansion draft for LAFC...

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How I'd protect players, in order
    1. Rusnak ($882,812.50)
    2. Savarino (NA)
    3. Glad ($246,700.00)
    4. Acosta ($65,625.00)
    5. M. Silva (NA)
    6. Plata ($400,000.04)
    7. Beltran ($230,950.00)
    8. Lennon ($53,004.00)*
    9. Rimando ($470,000.00)
    10. Beckerman ($825,000.00)
    11. Mulholland ($172,500.00)
    12. L. Silva ($208,670.67)
    13. Horst ($115,004.00)
    14. Saucedo ($100,500.00)
    15. Allen ($178,000.00)
    16. Phillips ($162,837.33)
    17. Sunny ($253,000.00)
    18. Schmidt ($53,004.00)
    19. Hernandez ($56,379.00)
    20. Sparrow (NA)
    21. Besler (NA)
    22. Van Oekel ($96,000.00)
    23. Velazco ($65,633.40)
    24. Dunk ($53,004.00)
    25. Holness ($133,500.00)
    26. Barrett ($105,000.00)
    27. Schuler ($132,500.00)
    28. Movsisyan ($1,973,750.00)

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  8. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    If you don't protect Saucedo, he will likely be taken having been a US Youth international. (Assuming 11 guys are protected like prior years.) I would hate to lose him, even though he hasn't quite proven he can play at this level yet. I still think he has a shot.

On the other hand, who do you drop from the top 11? Mulholland is iffy due to his salary, but likely still a good choice to keep. Plata, you hope you can get some value in return for (Maybe before the draft?)

pcny repped this.
  9. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we have to protect players who are just here on loan? That sucks... I mean, I see how that system could get abused, but that sucks.

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're protecting the rights to the players so I would assume you would have to.
    Which brings up a point I hadn't thought about - what is to stop a team in the expansion draft from using one of their picks to take "discovery rights" to a player?

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your opinion of Bofo is higher than I think LAFC's would be. I think the kid has talent, but he doesn't make the starting lineup for a reason. I like the kid, especially with him being from PC, but don't think you can protect him over other guys on that list.

I could see an argument made to jump him over Horst/Silva, but that's as high as I'd go

Todorojo repped this.
  12. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the past, haven't homegrown players been exempt? Any reason to assume they won't be this time around, other than *LA*?

13. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I think you pretty much have it right. I really can't see any of the players after 11 that I would move up. I would probably move Velazco to 28 and move around some of the other deck chairs below 11 but for the most part it's pretty good.

I'm not sold on Saucedo at all. In fact I would take Seba over him.

I would probably drop 14-17 a little as well.

I do like Sparrow, Hernandez and Schmidt. Too bad about Schmidt's foot.

Looking at what is on this list of 28 there is a lot of work to do to improve RSL over the off season. And by a lot, I mean A LOT.

Even in the top 11 there should be concerns. I think Nick and Kyle are definitely on the edge of the end of their careers. I think with a quality, younger faster player next to Kyle he could definitely have at least 1 good year left, maybe 2 if he is playing next to an all star. Nick might have a couple years left if the back line with Glad, Silva, Acosta & Beltran? play up to what looks like quite a bit of potential.

I am definitely with you on Plata. He won me over for his turnaround in play this season but if you can get some value in return for selling or trading him I think that could be a very good move by RSL. I would be very surprised if they do anything other than pay him more money though.

14. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    15-32's list
    1. Rusnak ($882,812.50)
    2. Savarino (NA)
    3. Glad ($246,700.00)
    4. Acosta ($65,625.00)
    5. M. Silva (NA)
    6. Plata ($400,000.04)
    7. Beltran ($230,950.00)
    8. Lennon ($53,004.00)*
    9. Rimando ($470,000.00)
    10. Beckerman ($825,000.00)
    11. Mulholland ($172,500.00)
    12. L. Silva ($208,670.67)
    13. Horst ($115,004.00)
    14. Saucedo ($100,500.00)
    15. Allen ($178,000.00)
    16. Phillips ($162,837.33)
    17. Sunny ($253,000.00)
    18. Schmidt ($53,004.00)
    19. Hernandez ($56,379.00)
    20. Sparrow (NA)
    21. Besler (NA)
    22. Van Oekel ($96,000.00)
    23. Velazco ($65,633.40)
    24. Dunk ($53,004.00)
    25. Holness ($133,500.00)
    26. Barrett ($105,000.00)
    27. Schuler ($132,500.00)
    28. Movsisyan ($1,973,750.00)

Green-I like and would keep around unless there was some sort of amazing deal offered up to change my mind. And yes, some of them are just players that I like. Horst for example. Even though he probably could have done a better job on the Crapids goal.

Purple-Players that I would think have some value and would trade or sell if almost any good offer came up. The same for the blue and red players but I can't really see other teams really being interested in the blue and red players listed. Purple, maybe.

Blue-Players that I like and think could become Mulhollandesque. Not all but some. I do like Sparrow though. I think he has potential.

Red-Players that I think should be upgraded or given a shot on another team.

After Horst 14-28 are really players that need to improvement for RSL either by them getting better individually or finding better players to replace them with.

All in all this team needs to improve and I'm almost glad that they didn't make the playoffs. Making the playoffs might have masked the fact that this team needs to improve in many areas. The depth needs improvement, the midfield needs improvement, maybe an actual forward would be nice even thought Luis Silva has earned my respect and appreciation.

I am cautiously optimistic that Waibel and company can make more Rusnak, Sava, & M. Silva type moves in the offseason.

I'm also not so confident that they won't pull a Javi with Kyle and Nick. A double Javi if you will.

I really hate that the season is over. I really loved the way RSL plays soccer right now.

Allez RSL, Lizzie Bee and Todorojo repped this.
  15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good point. The rules on these things change every time, though, so who knows. I'm kind of surprised with how little has been said on it from the league. Typically these will happen like days after MLS Cup.

16. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    It's HG players on the Sup or Res roster, and GA players. For us, that's Holness, Acosta, Lennon, Hernandez, Velazco, and Allen that are exempt.

In the past, DPs with a no trade clause were required to be protected. I don't know if that's still the rule, and I don't know if Yura has a no trade clause, but there's a chance we'll have to protect him, like it or not.

So I'd take that 11, but swap Acosta and Lennon for Luis Silva and Saucedo. If we have to protect Yura I'd probably bump off Beltran (injury-dependent).

EDIT: Found the rules: http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/2016-expansion-draft-rules-and-regulations

In 2016 it was ANY player with a no trade clause, not just DPs. Let's cross our fingers and hope that Yura didn't get that clause in his deal.

Allez RSL and 15 to 32 repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought that he had that in his deal. I've seen it stated in multiple places
    so... just pay off his salary and be done with it, DLH/CW

rslfanboy repped this.
  18. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Yep, here's the reporting: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...nd-real-salt-lake-face-big-decision-offseason. He does have a no-trade clause.

So we'll likely have to protect Yura no matter what.

Also, re: Beltran. Rumor is that his knee injury is a torn ACL, which complicates things. Now he's a 30 year old RB coming off a major knee injury who will miss half the season. Which means we'll probably need to sign someone there anyway.

So it's basically 250K for a guy who will play backup-level minutes at RB, and may not be at his same level anyway. I'd argue he has to be bumped down the list a fair bit.

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we lose a player because of this Yura thing then I'm back on the fire CW drive. Seriously, ******** this guy.

I've wanted to trade Beltran for years. If it is a torn ACL, that sucks big time. I fear the team justifies keeping Wingert in his place now. I hope I'm wrong and we go get what Petke has said he's wanted since day 1 - outside backs that are difference makers in the attack.

20. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That whole no-trade things is ruining my Monday. That sucks.

SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  21. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well, it doesn't mean he cannot be traded, just that he cannot be traded without his approval. I wonder how he is feeling after sitting on the bench most of the season... That is kind of what was happening when he came here, he had been benched in Russia and wanted out badly.

I would be more concerned with the fact that nobody in MLS will want him. So more likely we are hoping to sell him internationally, and we are likely going to be paying a good part of his contract in the process.

Ismitje and The Franchise repped this.
  22. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Specifically I'm sad about having to protect him in the Expansion Draft process. I really like a lot of our players and protecting him means leaving somebody valuable wide open.

The Franchise repped this.
  23. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a good chance LAFC (or LAG) might see some value in an Armenian player, and living in an Armenian community like Glendale could be revitalizing for Yura. I would expect that they would still want RSL to pay some of his salary though.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we tried to move Yura to LA in the summer, remember? It fell apart.
    Those two clubs (given the culture and that Yura has family in the area) are likely our only hopes of moving him within the league. He did nothing this season to help us, though. I'm guessing we'll have to eat his salary (whatever that entails) and then leave him for another team to pick up.

The question is if we can do that before the expansion draft.

25. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will lose a starter/role-player - Silva Sunny or Luke most likely.

Allez RSL repped this.