2017 Expansion Draft coming 12/13/16

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Murr, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Heist's link is interesting to me. Given that you get allocation money if someone else signs your free agent selected in the expansion draft, I'd be tempted to load up on free agents that are likely to sign elsewhere if I cannot find a good fit for my team.

2. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Boswell and Franklin exposed.

3. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    NDL Sarvas and Vincent protected

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from team site:
    D.C. United have protected Steve Birnbaum, Bill Hamid, Taylor Kemp, Nick DeLeon, Lloyd Sam, Patrick Nyarko, Lamar Neagle, Rob Vincent, Marcelo Sarvas, Luciano Acosta and Patrick Mullins.

sitruc repped this.
  5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The list would suggest Olsen is comfortable with either Opare or Robinson in the unlikely event that Boswell is selected. Protecting Sarvas would suggest that he and Vincent are the two central mids going into next season, with Jeffrey (if not selected) and Buescher the depth.

6. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The only eyebrow raiser for me is Vincent. Robinson is automatically protected because he is homegrown, right?

7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    It's odd to jump through these last minute trade hoops just to use that last spot on Sarvas.

First of all I highly doubt anyone would have picked Sarvas. Second of all even if they did it would be dumping a big contract of a 35 year old player. I won't go as far as to say 'addition by subtraction', but it almost is ...

sitruc, Winoman and QuietSide repped this.
  8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just so it's in one spot and I don't have to keep thinking of just the protected list - here's what the team says is its unprotected list:

Boswell, Bobby
    Dykstra, Andrew
    Franklin, Sean
    Horton, Charlie
    Jeffrey, Jared
    Kamara, Alhaji
    Korb, Chris
    Mishu, Luke
    Opare, Kofi
    Rolfe, Chris
    Saborio, Alvaro
    Worra, Travis

Saborio is already sunning on a Costa Rican beach, Mishu is going back to Business School, and Rolfe is sitting in a dark closet somewhere - but I think the other guys are legit pick-able.

If I were Minnesota I would grab Boswell (if I grabbed a United player at all), possibly Franklin - both guys are good vets and great locker-room guys.
    If I was Atlanta, well none of those guys are flashy enough to be picked by ATL, but maybe Jeffrey would be semi-intriguing to do the dirty work for their over-payed flashy guys.

Which United picks first?

Monarch Bay Beachbum and sitruc repped this.
  9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I doubt anyone picks Franklin. He's a free agent and could negotiate with other clubs.

Boswell is a possible pick. The only thing that doesn't make it a slam dunk is that there's no shortage of veteran domestic CBs available if that's a need for one of these clubs. Clarence Goodson, Marvell Wynne, Nat Borchers, David Horst, Bobby Burling etc ...

Anyways ... if we lose Boswell I'm mostly OK with that. I don't think he fits our style anymore. Honestly I'd be more bummed about losing Opare who IMO still has upside with some coaching and consistent playing time

Real Mobile and sitruc repped this.
  10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have protected Jeffrey and risked losing 35 year-old Sarvas - but that's just me.

Winoman, sitruc and caliban repped this.
  11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if he signs with one then Atlanta gets allocation money for taking no risk basically - they also have a leg up in contract negotiations over the other teams (if they feel like spending)

12. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Lololololololo

NYCFC protected famous bench player Mix

Lolololololololoo

Must have a no trade clause or something

Lolol ol

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #63 fatbastard, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    I tend to agree in principle, but remember for large parts of 2016 Sarvas seemed like the best player we had on the field.
    It's also possible that Magee wants Jeffrey and Jeffrey wants to go to the tundra ... and for the nicety of putting him on the unprotected list, they'll grab someone else and send him to us in a decent deal (it is still conspiracy theory season).

ElApacheTevez, DCUSA and Winoman repped this.
  14. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Saw an article by MLS that interviewed Minnesota UFC, said they needed experienced MLS talent if they want to compete this season for a playoff spot. They currently only have 3 defenders. 0nly have 3 players officially signed

15. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Robinson home grown. Vincent has a high ceiling in MLS at an affordable price if an MLS team can find the right place to feild him

16. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Between Vincent and Jeffrey, I have no problems with protecting Vincent. He's grown on me, hard worker, cannon of a shot, decent soccer IQ. I also like Jeffrey, but between the two, putting Vincent on the protected list is smart -- he has a higher upside IMHO.

Winoman and Boloni86 repped this.
  17. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Vincent can play out wide as well as in the middle. I'm ok with it too.

18. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
  19. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Jeffrey may be more likely to go, but that article may sway me to Opare being the one taken.

20. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Boswell started to score on set pieces this past season. Who else besides Birnbaum do we have that can do that regularly?

21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Well, if you lose Boswell, it might come down to Opare. He does have the raw materials to be a set piece threat, although I'm sure he needs coaching to make it more consistent.

Also Boswell has 18 career MLS goals in 355 games. Opare has 2 in 40. They're both scoring at a rate of 1 goal per 20 games, so it might not be a big drop-off.

22. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they can trade him for something.

23. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .... And we lose nobody in the draft

Winoman and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Telling that during the after-draft interviews, the MN guy says "If we keep these 5 guys we're fine with that, they're ready to start" and the ATL guy says right off the bat when asked about their 3 Ds and 2 GKs picked: "We have a couple of pre-determined trades we'll be announcing next week"