News: 2017 Euro U21 Championship Poland

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by JoseEmidio, Dec 4, 2016.

1. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No offense to you Area 51, your one of the best posters on here, just really pissed off with this side and how we went out, with all those chances. Even against Spain I was annoyed, expected much more.

2. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Quem nao marca, sofre

3. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Our defense cost us, with Fabio Cardoso and Rafa things would have been different, but you can't blame Rui Jorge for getting 6 points and it somehow not being enough.

The new format isnt the greatest.

Should have been 4 groups of 3 teams with each of the first place teams progressing

We went up against one of the best teams ever assembled at this level and lost 3-1, the scoreline didnt reflect the game but Spains quality was clinical, and on the third goal Semedo was so dumb.

4. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The important thing at this level is forming the talent and there is plenty of it there.

The goal is to let the kids develop and help the senior team win titles

5. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Unacceptable. Rui Jorge underwhelms yet again.

He needs to go.

And some of you were advocating him to take over seniors one day. Get out of here.

6. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    I have always been underwhelmed by Rui Jorge and his substitutions today confirmed it.

Podence was one of Portugals best players today but was substituted. Renato is off his game at the moment but the guy can win you a game in one moment.

Not bringing Rony Lopes really bit him in the arse today. With Fernandes suspension we really lacked a link between the lines. We had a million chances and should've won even more comfortably but the second goal was really poor decision making from Tobias who I usually really like. Edgar had the ball covered Tobias left this man for what reason I do not know and the Maco took the goal well.

Sad that this group didn't win a youth trophy, plenty of talent and hopefully a few will make the grade at the next level.

JoseEmidio and GoodDead repped this.
  7. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes, with 12 teams the 4 groups of 3 is better, that is a possible World Cup model (3 instead of 4 in a group). The frustration is that even with this we had it in our hands and let it go, if we had not missed so many chances (Neves and Paciência in particular) it would be easier to take defeat and being out of the tournament.

8. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #158 JoseEmidio, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    In this tournament:

Bruno Varela: Solid nothing great but no mistakes.

Edgar Ié: Previously he has been underwhelming but he had a good tournament and don't think he will stay at Belenenses long. Our best CB in the tournament.

João Cancelo: Needs to learn how to cross and to whom to cross to else he will kill most of the attacks himself.

Rúben Neves: Has stagnated and may very well need to leave Porto or get more playing time there, under-par performance.

Ruben Semedo: Generally decent, his move to Sevilha (at the Emirates Cup next month, Arsenal, Benfica, RB Leipzig and Sevilha) will be interesting and I hope it is a success

Renato Sanches: Against Spain he was told just to circulate the ball which he did, against Macedonia he had more freedom to go forward but did not stand out at best a average performance. At Benfica he could just use his power (and get away with it) at Bayern (I assume) he has to be more refined and lose less possession while still being aggressive. He is caught between being just another DM or a dynamic 8 (which is not happening at the moment) plenty of time to improve though. The Bayern move happen too soon (maybe that will change in hindsight).

Iuri Madeiros: Good player, always looking forward, not sure how to mark him this tournament maybe a 6.5, going back to SCP from his impressive loan at Boavista, won't be a super star but might be very useful.

Daniel Podence: Either our best or second best player (Bruma), good decision making, garra, determination, work rate, skills, good link up play...very impressed with Podence.

Bruma: Last time I saw him for Portugal he was easily our worst player. However he had a excellent tournament with some great goals. Will be watching him at the Emirates Cup next month in London where he will play for RB Leipzig. So glad he has not wasted his talent, in the running for WC 2018 if he keeps this up.

Rui Jorge: Questions over the non-inclusion of Rafa and Lopes, his substitution of Podence (our best player?) both against Spain and Macedonia looked very suspect, however it is the players that either made mistakes (Semedo) or missed chances and so still have every confidence in a coach that only lost 2 out of the last 30 or so games.

9. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Italy beat Germany 1-0 went top of the group (which I failed to take into account above) while Germany finished second and went through as best second placed team.

10. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Semi-final

Germany 2

England 2

Penalties

Germany 4

England 3

:D:D:D:D

Made my day!

11. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Semi-final

Spain 3

Italy 1

Final

Spain - Germany

12. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    A German side we have beaten in their own house a few months ago vs a Spain side that was lucky to get a win vs us. Pretty sad summer for Portugal NT's

13. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Final

Germany 1 (Weiser 40')

Spain 0

From the highlights (did not watch the game) it looks like Germany were largely dominate (I expected Spain to win), the same side we beat away 1-0 just before the tournament, worst tournament performance this year relative to potential from Portuguese footballers.