2017 Depression Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by bunge, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Trying to get past the devastating loss of my favorite news source of the past 5 years. These guys genuinely inspired me to do my Fire podcast, which led to joining Big Soccer, which led to making banners, which led to integrating myself into the Fire community, which led to me writing about the Fire (at least in a fan blog). They may not have even mentioned soccer once, but they've been a big influence on the way I write about it. RIP SourceFed.

(This is also where "cute blonde girl saying trite things" comes from, but she quit a year or so ago to work on other stuff)

skinut, HerthaBerwyn and xtomx repped this.
  2. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The good news is, we haven't touched this thread since March!
    And in neutral news, I'm not using this for Fire related things.

I just watched this interview with Daisy Ridley for Vogue and I think I'm over her. She's an Arsenal fan who puts honey in tea (IT'S BITTER, IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE THAT WAY!). It was also a pretty dumb interview in general.

This is the end of an era.
    [​IMG]

(Not actually though, there will still be gifs; but not just of her anymore)

3. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My heart and head still hurt from Tuesday night. The shock and disappointment of this result feels like the election last November, and also like that event, will take 4 years to remedy.

Now I'm counting on the Fire to bring me some soccer happiness this year! Hell, the FIRE could've beaten T&T on Tuesday (and then won the World Cup, of course;).

skinut, xtomx and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  4. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need better female role models. In actual fire discussion. I'm kinda meh. They aren't dominating at home anymore we won what 2 road games all year against shit teams? And our home matches recently have been meh. But at least we're in the playoffs this year. Need to show me something special though to convince me that this all wasn't just smoke and mirrors to give false hope.

xtomx repped this.
  5. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Daisy was never a "role model" for me. Just a crush.

Annie Clark is a role model. Only a month and a half after I started listening to her I released my own LP. Now about three months in I'm learning guitar on my own. That's a role model.
    [​IMG]

6. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Did you see her on Colbert last week?
    That was pretty depressing. I don't like her song "New York".

7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agree it was a dumb interview (I sped through most of it)... especially about Arsenal.
    Not surprising that she would be an Arsenal fan, but depressing nonetheless.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  8. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think I understand where she's going with the new record and New York is just an outlier. I found one of those "pre-album live album"s on youtube and I like it.

And if you thought that was her most depressing performance on a late night show, you clearly haven't seen Kid Cudi's "Maniac" performed on Jimmy Fallon:

THEY LITERALLY PUT HER IN THE CORNER WITH NO GUITAR!

9. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Exactly. I couldn't believe how similar those two events felt. 2017 sucks. Maybe the Fire can help.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am glad I was at the movies Tuesday night.
    I see a similar feeling as the election, that is, utter disbelief at the stupidity of the situation, the sheer "how can this happen, against all odds" feeling.

The loss will have a devastating effect on the near future of US Soccer.
    One step forward (Pulisic) and ten giant leaps backwards.

However, I cannot compare it to the current destruction of the entire nation and, perhaps, the world.

Come on, this is the Depression Thread.

Take that shit to the Optimism Thread.

GHjelm, bunge and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  11. rogerinIL3

rogerinIL3 Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hey, the USMNT players get participation trophies for the Qualification finals. Right?

Oh! Never mind!!

Hard lessons were learned Tuesday night. No one can feel entitled to automatic WC Qualification. It has to be earned each and every time including every game. Both Bruce and Klinsy were good coaches, but both got caught up in "not invented here" approaches. They both needed to consider every MNT players not just the ones that fit their preferred player profile (MLS for Bruce, German-Americans for Klinsy).

On the positive side, though, it means a complete rethink about the MNT. Hopefully, that should mean opportunities for potential new and some previous MNT poll players. Player performance not media hype should determine the roster.

I hope every member of the Fire watched that debacle and thought hard about how the Fire have to be prepared for a playoff run. The lesson is apparent -- "Take anyone lightly at your own peril."

lethargytartare repped this.
  12. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not having Pulisic play in the World Cup at 19 years of age SUCKS. He possibly could have played in 6 World Cups, 18', 22', 26', 30' & 34'. Hopefully we will see him in the next 4 World Cups.

xtomx repped this.
  13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was never playing in 6 World Cups. He is highly unlikely to be playing even in what would be his 4th in 2034, at nearly 36. That was the same ridiculous argument we heard about Donovan, playing until he is 40 for the national team. Hopefully, this makes Pulisic even stronger of mind next time around.

14. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would have been 35 years old (yes almost 36) for 2034 World Cup and that would have been his 6th, if we didn't lay the BIGGEST fvcking egg on Tuesday.

15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that would be his 5th. He would be damn near 40 by 2038, which is 5 cycles away. Just like Donovan, it is a silly pipe dream. And Pulisic wont be on our 2034 squad, much less the 2038 squad. He was never going to be on 6 World Cup teams. Lets stop being ridiculous.

16. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I just realized that, math is HARD. My bad. Dempsey's would have been 35 years old for World Cup 2018, I'm pretty sure he would have made the team. Yeah not a starter, but would have made the team.

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is quite ok. But lets not get depressed here. Failure CAN make you mentally stronger. He will be fine. Im actually looking forward to the next cycle. I dont have to watch this joke of a team flounder any longer.

By the way, what IS depressing about this is realizing that we might not have even made it to the hex if we had been in a different semifinal group. Jamaica was in a group with Costa Rica and Panama, who both finished ahead of us. Canada was in a group with Mexico and Honduras. We had a group with freaking Guatemala and T&T, and struggled. And as you notice, the 2 teams that made it to the hex from our semifinal group both crashed and burned.

In other words, we sucked from top to bottom during qualifying. Again, I'm glad that it is over. I can look forward to a change now, both in style and in personnel.

18. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    ******** you with a rubber dick.

xtomx repped this.
  19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    NOT get depressed?!?!?
    This is the fvcking Depression Thread.

There is no choice.

Jiggly_333 and bunge repped this.
  20. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just paused iron maiden to look that up. Yep I am depressed now

21. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The original purpose of this thread was for depressing music, so yeah, no choice but to be depressed.

xtomx repped this.
  22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The original purpose of this thread was that @bunge created the thread as our compatriot @Fanaddict was so despondent about the debacle of last season that he declared, if things did not improve dramatically, this would be his last season.

However, depressing music is ALWAYS welcome.

skinut and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  23. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  24. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday it was nice and I was thinking I should to to the beach today. Now it's definitely not nice and I'm stuck in indiana ********ing sober because yeah I decided a month to reset was a good idea.

skinut repped this.
  25. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's so dark outside and it's 730. Oh and the candy store across the street is closed. I want candy