2017 Confederations Cup - Qualifiers, News and Updates [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Paul Calixte, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not in this instance.

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    New Zealand wins their group, Australia comes second in there's and viola!!!

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long is that's not the final...

I'll put my ticket up on e-bay, but I have a feeling ticket sales for the final will really go erm... "down under"

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Probability-wise its more likely that they would meet in a third-place match since that at least wouldn't require either of them to win their group.

zahzah repped this.
  5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Kazan really won out with the draw. They of course host a semifinal but also will be the site for Germany v Chile & Portugal v Mexico. Arguably the best match in each group. They got Russia v Mexico too which is probably the best and most important match involving the host nation.

Terrible luck for Saint Petersburg. They might've got the two least attractive matches in each group. Africa v Australia and NZ v Portugal. The only thing duller than NZ v Portugal might be NZ v Russia. And, oh, they got that match too! Ugh!

Y tu mama tambien repped this.
  6. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last qualifier will emerge from the following bracket:

Burkina Faso vs. Tunisia
    Egypt vs. Morocco

---

Senegal vs. Cameroon
    Congo-Kinshasa vs. Ghana

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Very difficult to predict.

8. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'd go with sure bet: Egypt. Last three times they qualified to competition they won the tournament. :D

9. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It's down to four:
    Burkina Faso - Egypt
    Cameroon - Ghana

Most exciting teams of the group stage are heading home: Tunisia, Congo DR, Senegal. Egypt, who is yet to concede, is on course to win fourth title in their last four participations.

10. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    All gets to be decided between Egypt and Cameroon.....

11. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I really like to see a match like Germany - Cameroon. Time for revenge for 2002, where Cameroon had been the better side in the last group match, while Germany won with a player being sent off. I think it was Ramelow.

12. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    This Cameroon side isn't exactly one of the best in their history ... to put it kindly ... and they're confronted with major challenges. The manager, Broos, experienced plenty of difficulties in his post when dealing with their FA (facing opposition rather than receiving backing) ... 7 or so players declined a call-up ... among those that snubbed Cameroon, Liverpool's Matip is the most prominent ... fans in Cameroon ridiculed their NT ... an unknown Belgian calling up a bevy of poor and sickly players ... also lamenting the lack of support from the FA, a feckless and dysfunctional "organization". Broos has expressed his displeasure but tried to make the best of a bad situation ... the experiences of players with previous staff hasn't always been smooth and he had to convince them that it has improved with the current staff ... the fans have come around ... and as it would be quite an achievement to lift the cup after overcoming adverse conditions, massive celebrations are expected if they indeed pull it off.

13. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Wish granted!

Paul Calixte repped this.
  14. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    They have a team of fighters as opposed to primadonnas. They have the grit and determination of old school Cameroon.

Still... looks like once again Africa will send a team to the Confed Cup that won't play at the World Cup (minor miracles adide)

15. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    goosebumps with all the cameroonians wearing a champions shirt with #17, representing this year of victory... thinking about marc vivien foe rip... stunning... it was his players number until he died on the field 2003.

16. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Even though he was well-respected in the past ... Broos has received plenty of criticism in Belgium for being too old school ... an anachronism that wouldn't die ... couldn't even get a foot in the door at lowly semi-pro clubs ... those surviving only because of the grit and determination of their players in the graveyard for clubs that is Belgium's 2nd ... Broos was the perfect manager for these sort of sides. Broos always wanted to prove his detractors wrong and end his career on a high note ... good on him ... and most importantly ... congratulations to Cameroon ... champions of Africa

17. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I remember Germany being the better side. Miro Klose, like he was widely known for his dribbling skills :ROFLMAO:, taking on 4 Cameroon defenders to assist the 1-0 already down to 10, then later scoring the 2-0 himself. But Cameroon were decently coached and probably the best African team of this tourney. Apart from that did Germany always have a tough time against African teams and 2-0 is already a good score in that department. Dont ask me why, thats the way it is.

Also: Have in mind that Germany is likely to send the C squad so I dont know if a win against them will be enough to satisfy your needs on taking revenge.:D

18. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Why do you think Germany would field a B team, let alone a C team? Not to mention that if there is a country in the world that can field a C team that is almost as good as its A team than its Germany.

---

Before this tournament most people would say this team is Cameroon's B squad... now no one is really sure anymore...

Would Chedjou, Bedimo, Choupo-Moting, Matip, Nyom, Mbia, etc. really improve this team?
    Or would they disrupt the chemistry and revert it back to the infighting 2010-2014 team?

Tough call for Broos... I'm sure these players will want to come back, but should Broos let them? (Heck, Broos even benched Nkoulou and Aboubakar for most of the tournament, fitting that they came in as subs in the final and won the game for Cameroon).

---

And again Cameroon will represent Africa at the Confed Cup, but because the qualification process in Africa is crap we have 2 1/8 World Cup finalists and the current African Champion in one group, we likely won't see them at the World Cup. Africa need to sort this out. This doesn't happen to any other federation. It will likely happen 3 times in the last 4 confed cups for Africa.

19. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think most CL players wont make the trip which is basically all of the A linup and some B teamers minus Hector. Some players will be injured as usual. If Reus is not injured he will play but he isnt A row anymore. I guess we can expect a team similiar to the Olympics squad which was a U21 with some B squad players. Löw will use this tourney to give youngsters and B teamers international experience. But that isnt even the main goal. The goal is to gather information on the WC 2018 venue like the 2013 US trip was used to get used to the climatic conditions in Brazil.

It is up to your own opinion if you consider Henrichs, Tah, Gnabry, Goretzka, Meyer, Süle, Brandt as strong as the A squad but I would probably not sign this statement

20. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    if germany lines up a B team, then that is not worth a world champion.

21. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Do you know this? Did Low say so?
    Also: You're assuming Bayern makes the CL finals... They play Arsenal next... And Bayern have looked more defeatable than ever. Still, sure... loads of German players in other CL squads.

I'm pretty sure I could shout out three starting lineups for Germany of similar strength. The players you mentioned are more like E team.

22. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Löw said so more or less yes. At the very least will the players in Spain and England not make the trip. And the players are piling 80 games each season up anyways with silly Fifa wanting more money in the future. It doesnt matter to Löw how far German players make it in CL or in other competitions. Löw wants to rest players who otherwise had a break year between Euro and WC this summer. There is no sense in burning your top stars in meaningsless tourneys like the confed. And it is also a complete non-issue for the home crowd. If Germany wins or goes home after the group stage is completely meaningless like generally losses in friendlies makes no one around here freakout.
    They were in the squad against Italy and played to some greater extend. They are in the shopping window for Löw since Rio so yes if you like it or not thats what you can expect.

dinamo_zagreb and zahzah repped this.
  23. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Ok. thanks. Just curious.

24. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    2017 could very well be the last we see of this useless tourny ... looks set to end, not with a bang, but with a whimper

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Germany with a D list squad ... Portugal, 2016 was horrible, at least Greece won a half decent EUROs in 2004, a shame Portugal didn't win that one as they looked much better back then ... if Chile shows the slightest interest, they would be the frontrunners ... whoever bothers with this cup, it could be up for grabs

25. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Chile could show all the interest they want and they wouldn't be favorites against Portugal if they field their usual team. Chile would never be favorites against a team that contains Ronaldo, Bernardo Silva, Raphael Guerreiro, Pepe, Joao Mario, Nelson Semedo, Andre Silva, Renato Sanches, Andre Gomes, etc. Only in an absolute dreamland.

Although I wouldn't doubt if you didn't know who half of those young players are, despite all of them being, relative to any player their age in Europe, of the highest caliber.