2017 Confederations Cup - Qualifiers, News and Updates [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Paul Calixte, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh pleeeeaaaasssseeee!!!! Backdoor way to cheat their way into the confed cup? Silly statement. They made the decision to do this long BEFORE the 2013 Gold Cup was played. Mexico know full well the ramification of bringing a weakedned squad to that tournament, as did the US who also brought a B-team. Anyhoo, the playoff may seem silly, but it was most definitely not a cheat from any team. It's just a way of making sure that both gold cups are counted as equal I guess... wish the African Natioan Cup would do the same honestly.

Paul Calixte and tudobem62014 repped this.
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is kinda stupid to imply the USA had anything to do with the CONCACAF Playoff.

It is just a way for the CONCACAF to make Money. They couldn't care less if the USA makes it to the Confederations Cup.
    In Fact they make more Money if Mexico does well in Gold Cups not the USA.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  3. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Russia
    Germany
    Australia
    Chile (first time Brazil will miss this since the renaming of the tournament. Probably good for them as the winner of this tournament is cursed like being on the cover of Madden ... lol I can still see Sherman's face)

USA or 2015 Gold Cup winner
    Euro 2016 winner/ runner up if winner is Russia or Germany
    2016 OFC Nations Cup winner
    2017 Africa Cup of Nations winner

4. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hopefully the playoff will be in the worst environment for the visiting team. If it's a Central American team definately would like to play in Colorado, Massachusetts, or Ohio away from any Latino fans and freezing cold... maybe a little bit of early frost. If it's... actually thats it. Canada is the only opponent we would melt in LA or Miami and they are almost done in the Gold Cup.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The mere existence of the conferations cup makes that impossible.

6. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    That was exactly my point.

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Well I don't know about the economics of it all, but doesn't; contrary to popular belief, the US actually bring the most fans to major tournies, ie the world cup, etc... so I'd think it would be financially beneficial to have the US in the tourney... but who knows, by then we may be banned from going to Russia anyway...

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    When it comes to Gold Cups Mexico brings in the most fans and better television ratings in the region. That is where the real money is.

When it comes to the Confederations Cup the same would apply television wise.

JJV1994 repped this.
  9. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides whatever money-making ambitions are in play, Africa has biennial cups for the same reason that CONCACAF does: with World Cup qualifying carried out in stages, small and mid-tier teams get eliminated early and need the extra games that a second biennial continental championship (+ qualifiers) provides to avoid two-odd years of competitive hibernation. The AFC's taken a slightly different route with the expanded Asian Cup, plus a bloated WCQ process (which is excellent for SE Asia in particular).

10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah but CAF went one further and even had 3 cups in 4 years recently... it really is starting to feel like overload... the gold cup is at least during the off season, so it's like "there's nothing else on but preseason friendlies, so I'll go ahead and watch some (not so) Gold Cup"....

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not sure I fully buy into that. Sure that might be the excuse they use but its really about money. The real test was when the African Cup of Nations moved from being held on even years to odd years. They could have very easily had a championship in 2010, 2012 and 2015. But of course they opted for 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2015. :sleep:

There was no real danger of mid-tier teams having no competitive matches to play for extended periods of time since the main group stage of 2014 WC qualifying (which involved pretty much every CAF ranked in the top 150 in the FIFA rankings) was played-out from June 2012 to Sept 2013.

12. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Great Lakes Region (The Other One)
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, I do wonder how much of these Fed budgets is being wasted on carting the national teams around to these various competitions instead of growing the game. Between Qualifiers for two CANs and WC Qualifying (which is far too abbreviated in my opinion in Africa), thats a lot of money for some countries to fork out.

Africa actually has Confederation Championships every year (see African Nations Cup) and these aren't exactly feds or societies flush with cash. I can only imagine how little money actually made it to grassroots development in my former country of residence (Burundi) as opposed to flying the national team around the continent to get its ass beat a few extra times.

13. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to FIFA, the OFC's representative will emerge from their Nations Cup next year after all, rather than simply have the winner of the WCQ process double as the OFC champ.

14. #64 Y tu mama tambien, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    Mexico was at the Confeds Cup right before that. So Mexico should be made to play two official tournaments in the same summer?

The Gold Cup has no (non-monetary) reason to exist every two years. And the year not in conflict with the Confed Cup makes the most sense.

15. Ha, laughable.

So you think that because the US leads the world in tickets sales the US brings the most fans?

In Recife, there were about 25-30K Mexicans. I'd say about 40-50% of them came from the US.
    In every MEX game I was at the WC, 1/2 of the MEX fans I met were from the US.

This is not to mention the rest of the Latin American countries. Or the rest of the world for that matter.

On Sep 8 2015 in Boston the US couldn't put 30K in a football stadium against Brazil.
    The same day, an hour later MEX put 80k in Dallas against Argentina.

Show Spoiler

Messi put those butts in those seats you say.....well, only about 2k had blue shirts on.
    Mex has put
    85K v Hait
    80K v El Salvador
    85K v Brasil
    81K v Panama
    85K v Ecuador
    at the same stadium over the last few years.

JJV1994 repped this.
  16. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed...and the US did the same thing in 2009/

For teams that miss out on the semifinal round of WCQ, it does - playing in Central American and Caribbean qualifying for the Gold Cup helps the smaller NTs in CONCACAF avoid two years of hibernation.

17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. shivesh

shivesh New Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    In played 2015 CONCACAF Cup final, Mexico have defeated USA today to enter in the 2017 FIFA Confederation cup. Paul Aguilar scored the winning goal for Mexico in 118th minute of the match as the game went into extra time after 1-1 after full time.

Now Mexico have joined Russia, Australia, Chile and Germany for confederations cup. http://www.sportsmirchi.com/fifa-confederations-cup-2017/

JJV1994, Paul Calixte and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  19. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    When do we find out who the 6th qualifier is?

JJV1994 repped this.
  20. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next summer: the OFC Nations Cup final is on June 12, and the Euro final will be shortly after. Africa will wrap up the guest list in late Jan/early Feb 2017.

JJV1994 and jared9999 repped this.
  21. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to the Confederations Cup... will probably try and go, even though the US isn't in it. Might actually make it a little more enjoyable as I can just sit back and relax and enjoy the tournament as a neutral. The wife is part Russian, so will have no shortage of places to stay in Moscow and the way I see it I have a better chance of getting a ticket to the CC final than the WC final. May also be a better time to travel around Russia without the inflated prices / crowds like in the world cup....

JJV1994 repped this.
  22. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #72 SJJ, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    Mexico is still not listed on the competition's Teams page: http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/teams/index.html

Also on that page: Europe: The winner of UEFA EURO 2016 will represent Europe at Russia 2017. Should Germany win EURO 2016, the tournament's runners-up will head to the Confederations Cup.

So if the Final is GER -v- RUS, then which team goes next? The Euro's do not play a third-place match.

unclesox and EvanJ repped this.
  23. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Right now they're saying "the best-placed FIFA member team not already qualified". That's a bit vague. It almost sounds like it wouldn't necessarily have to be a UEFA team that fills that 8th spot. Although given that a Euro will have just been played, chances are that team would come from UEFA anyway.

25. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    **coughArgentinacough**

Actually, Germany in '99 and Turkey in '03 are precedents for shoehorning in the best finisher from the World Cup not yet qualified.