2017 Confederations Cup - Qualifiers, News and Updates [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Paul Calixte, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was under the impression that there were only three points: one with the World Cup champ and the host, one with the Euro and the Copa América winners, and one with everyone else. For instance, the Asian and Oceanian champs ended up in the same Confederations Cup group in 2009.

2. PaulieJay

PaulieJay Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Iowa, United States
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it will be Columbus, but seeing as the is an extension of the Gold Cup and a CONCACAF competition, I can't imagine it will be in Azteca. My guess would probably be LA, Chicago, New York, Washington, something like that. They will just want butts in the seats

3. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Should a playoff be necessary, I think the non-US team, whomever that may be, should host it. Surely it would not be too much to ask that Concacaf representative play and win at least ONE game on the road in order to qualify after hosting the TWO qualifying tournaments. I suspect this one game playoff would be a sell in any country if the host is one of the participants.

4. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that I think about it a bit more...assuming they put down grass for the game, Seattle would be perfect. But I would prefer a potential US-Mexico showdown take place in a neutral country (how about Costa Rica? :D ).

5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as it hurts me to say this... :D The next qualifier for the 2017 Confederations Cup is:

[​IMG]

After 120 minutes of Chile and Argentina shutting each other down in the Copa América final, the former held their nerve in the penalty shootout while Higuaín was allowed to take a shot for Argentina...no mystery how that turned out. ;)

Now, if I'm not mistaken, Chile will go into Pot 2 for the Confederations Cup; given that Pot 1 includes two European sides (Russia and Germany) and the other Pot 2 qualifier will be the Euro champ, the matchups in the group stage will wait for the official draw. In the past, Pots 1 and 2 solved themselves with FIFA keeping teams from the same confederation apart, but there's no way to avoid it this time.

Next up: the 2015 Gold Cup, which will send the US directly to the Confed Cup if we win. Any other champion will face the US in a one-game playoff in October.

2017 Confederations Cup Qualifiers

1. Russia [Host]
    2. Germany [World Cup]
    3. Australia [AFC]
    4. Chile [CONMEBOL]

unclesox and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  6. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Why does it hurt you that chile won?

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Texas?

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    People in Peru don't like Chile that much.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Gonna be weird to see a Confederations Cup without either Argentina or Brazil for the first time ever.

10. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Brazil in particular. Their consecutive win streak will end now.

Even when they weren't some kind of champion they managed to be at the 1999 one (France didn't go) and 2013 (as host).

jared9999 repped this.
  11. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    @Paul Calixte

Is your heart more peruvian these days? Is that why your upset chile won? No longer feel the stars and stripes?:D

12. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried to use the "Meteor" button for Chile vs. Mexico, but I guess it got jammed. :D

Really, most people here have come to terms with Chile's triumph - it's just that no matter how much more successful la Roja have been over the last decade, Peruvians could always talk smack about Chile never winning the Copa América. No longer...

HomietheClown repped this.
  13. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm perfectly willing to have the U.S. play the Ticos in Azteca.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Okay, my early prediction for the Group rigging (I mean draw) are:

Russia
    Euro Champ/ second
    Oceania
    African Champ

Germany
    Chile
    USA/whoever
    Australia

15. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I think it's ridiculous that there will be a playoff if the USA doesn't win the Gold Cup. I mean it's bad enough the U.S. hosts the competition every time, do they really need to come up with some backdoor way to cheat their way into the Confederation Cup ? Why can't the 2015 winner just go through as has always been the case ? What does the 2013 winner in a tournament that nobody takes seriously have to do with the 2017 Confed Cup ? Just another example of US bully tactics, I highly doubt there would be this playoff nonsense if Mexico or somebody else won the 2013 cup.

16. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They added the playoff precisely because nobody was taking the second Gold Cup seriously. Mexico took the 2013 edition pretty seriously because they knew what was at stake, same as everyone else. It just happened to coincide with their horrendous form that cycle. It was announced well before the 2013 cup that a half spot for the Confederations Cup would be at stake. Your bigotry against everything US is getting a bit stale.

17. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Well I did not know that, but either way it's still a stupid idea. The reason every second gold cup is not taken seriously is because the gold cup champion is at the Confederation Cup. No matter how "seriously" Mexico took it as you say, they presented a much weaker squad. Nothing to do with poor form at that moment.This will not change unless the years of the gold cup are moved away from the Confederation cup. Anyways it dilutes the prestige of the Confed, because the CURRENT regional champs should be there, not the winner of some silly playoff.

In fact CAF had a much better reason for a playoff when there were 2 cups within 2 years, 2012 and 2013, even they just elected to go with the more current winner.

18. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico presented the best squad they could with the coach they had. They were a bit of a mess then with some expats refusing to play and what not, and a huge drop in the national team form.

19. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The current regional champs will be there when the USA hoists the trophy in two weeks, making the playoff moot.

20. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Mexico took a B team, because their best players had just played at the Confederation Cup. I don't know why you are trying to hide this fact.

21. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Great Lakes Region (The Other One)
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fairly certain the US also didn't send a team with most of it's starters to this Cup.

22. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US also took a B-team.... Altidore, Bradley, Dempsey, Howard, Guzan even missing. Donovan was only in cause he was just getting back from his sabbatical. But it was mostly local based US players that made that team. That's kind of how the bi-annual gold cup works, the one just after the WC is the big one and used to be the sole-method of determining the confed cup representative.... the one just before the WC, the big guns would almost always bring their b-team, especially the team who'd just played in the confed cup... this is the first time where they've made a playoff between the two gold cup winners to determine the confed cup representative.

23. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Yes you are correct I fully remember now, and a quick check of the rosters shows this. I assume the U.S. also didn't take it as seriously because Mexico wasn't going to send their top team.

24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was also seen as a prep for the world cup... a chance for Jurgen to have a look at fringe-players with an outside chance of making the WC squad.

25. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Great Lakes Region (The Other One)
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Africa (and have for three years or so now) and I find it to be just as annoying here with the Bi-annual Cup of Nations. The frequency does seem to detract from the event. I do think CONCACAF was smart to institute this playoff system. I barely paid attention to the Gold Cup in 2009 due to WCQ and the Confederations Cup, although as VanCity alludes, this playoff system does seem to potentially negatively effect the chance of the Region's team that plays in the Confed Cup .

In Africa, it's even more confusing and annoying, since it isn't really a chance for the Confederation to cash in, but thats another discussion for another forum.