Pre-match: 2017 Confederations Cup Playoff: USA vs Mexico, October 10th 2015

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jul 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Oh, OK. I'm not very savvy in terms of these differences in moderation and accepted topics in News and Analysis versus US Men. I just clicked on the thread that seemed to be a sort of pre-game discussion of today's game. My apology if I'm not very knowledgeable about Big Soccer's structure.

So I guess in the PbP thread all topics including how we feel about the coach are allowed, right?

2. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...oaching-thread.2017046/page-261#post-33046661

3. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DK???.... whatever.

4. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I think we're drifting away from what I think was the central point of this particular exchange. I was just trying to illustrate that not many people expected advancement. Nothing else.

The questionable (sucky) roster decisions, the questionable (sucky) man-management, and the question of whether or not he should remain as NT coach are all not part of what I was trying to prove.

5. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposed to be low 80's at kickoff. Not too bad.

7. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes to Rowe, getting callups. Maybe a January camp for Mullins.

8. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the grass...But the Rose Bowl is a massive concrete and steel structure...and that does to heat up under the sun. I guess this is where the drier conditions, implying little cloud cover, come in to play. Not sure if it's any advantage for Mexico. I would think, in general, players from MF and MLS would be more resilient under high heat than those habituated to European leagues.... without respect to which nation they play for.

9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Williams plays the #6 for club.

10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1835 LouisZ, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    I don't think is going to matter much. Pasadena at 6 p.m. cools very fast, the stadium is at the base of the mountains. Mid day temp will be in the mid to high 90s by 6 p.m should be close to mid to low 70s, by the final 15 minutes of the game should be in the high 60s.

11. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Yedlin will start in his place. In his last game he also started as the RM.

12. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly adds some intrigue to the lineup. Williams as replacement is certainly the simplest but you could also see a lot of dominoes falling and a totally new formation. There will be a lot of support for going back to the 4-2-3-1 which many believe is a better scheme to play against Mexico.

13. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At 6:30PM there will be no Sun, but heat will be much higher than 80s, i can assure you :)

mike4066 repped this.
  14. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so, last time we played Mexico in hot weather was at "our 2-0 house" and the game was at night and it was in the low 80 with high humidity. Mexican players prefer high altitude with humidity sprinkled with a bit of pollution like at the Azteca.

15. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you think that? He has not started there this year and I don't recall him playing there last year.

16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he played the 6 when in Germany and us, unless you want to count the Italy game.

17. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suffice it to say he does not play a #6 for Reading. Now in his 3rd year, he has always played primarily as a #8. Williams primarily plays as a RCM in Reading's 4-3-3 (analagous to Morales' LCM in Ing's 4-3-3).

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Not that current positioning in club has to be the same as in the NT. Klinsmann has used Fabian Johnson as a LB, even though he's been playing LM for the last 16 months.

19. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I simply don't understand why JK doesn't use Yedlin as a sub to bring on to run against tired defenders. Especially if he insists on playing him in the midfield.

20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that was the plan but with Bedoya out now things could change

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    be
    Obviously because there are others just a tiny bit ahead of him in that role.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  22. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    So all of those expecting a youth movement after tonight might want to brake check those expectations.

manq360 and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  23. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We still have MLS, one can still hope right..? Ah ******** it, we are doomed.

24. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Well I would agree, I don't think he's a special player either right now. But the closest thing we have to special players available for this game up top are Dempsey and Altidore (who unfortunately doesn't really look anything special at the moment either). After that we have a bunch of guys in decent goalscoring form at a respectable but not all that impressive level. Which one is in better form will depend on how you slice the numbers - goals per game, goals per minute, exclude or include PKs, etc.

Wood and Wondo might not be my first two choices for backup strikers, but again looking at the rest of that list, I just have trouble seeing how anyone can have really strong preferences one way or another there. (Wood, along with Agudelo and Lletget, is at least on the younger end of the spectrum among the starters in that list, which doesn't matter that much for this encounter, but does justify his getting looks in general outside of this game. And I would hope to see the same for the other two.)

25. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    This is just my opinion, but the reason I would prefer Agudelo over Wood would be that Agudelo has some excellent technical ability as well as the ability to make something out of nothing. Wood doesn't have a standout skill other than effort, but Agudelo, as odd as his club career has been, still has the most natural ability out of that whole tier of guys we're talking about. If the role is to come off the bench as a forward, you have to have the ability to make an impact. Wondo, for as much as I dislike him, has the poacher's skill that could make a difference in theory. Wood has workrate, which for a striker isn't that meaningful to me.