PBP: 2017 CONCACAF U-17 Championship: Cuba vs. USA - 5/5 at 6:30pm ET

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by derek750, May 5, 2017.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #151 ussoccer97531, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Its only important if his pace and strength carries him against professionals. If its just being fast and strong against 16 year olds, that does him or player development for this cycle no good. So I think we have to ask ourselves how that part of his game will translate. I don't consider him to be an athletic freak or anything like that. He doesn't have quite the speed of a Walcott or Sterling, and he doesn't have the size, speed combination of someone like Haji Wright, so he has speed and might have some strength, but I don't think its to a level that will work that well against professionals. I see him having a nice, solid MLS career. I think a comparable would be Teal Bunbury.

My comment about his awareness was when he has the ball. He has complete tunnel vision, he wants to power through and past everyone. Without the ball, he seems to have a solid understanding of movement, runs, space, which is why I believe he's more suited to be a central striker, but then at the same time, I think he's a poor finisher, so then I don't know if I want a poor finisher playing CF. You can say he has a goal per game this or that, but that in itself is not enough to say he must be a good finisher. This U-17 team has pretty much dominated all cycle, he's gotten so many chances to score. If you get like 5 opportunities per game playing as a RW for this team, you probably will score 1 per game, even without good finishing skills. Also, he's played some CF this cycle, so its not only been as a winger. I'm not going to even compare his finishing to Carleton. I think its worse to begin with, and I keep saying they are very different players, so its irrelevant. Sargent's recent improvements have shown excellent finishing, and even before that, his finishing was not one of my criticisms of him.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Acosta was at Estudiantes in Argentina before being forced to come back to the U.S. due to FIFA laws. Acosta is a very early '00 (22 days older than Pomykal), so he can sign abroad in 8 months.

"Later, I would travel to Germany to do some tests with the Red Bull Leipzig team. And I might travel to Argentina because the Banfield team from Buenos Aires wants to see me play. Another interested team is the Seattle Souders FC of the MLS."

http://www.soccerplus.us/from-weston-to-the-u-s-national-team-george-acosta-talks-through-his-goals/

3. manuel84

manuel84 Member+

Oct 16, 2012
    Tatatatamaulipas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Ok, if you say you are better i believe.

I can't say the same with our national team, i haven't watched enough games of them. The only outstanding mexican players U17 I know were not considered for this tournament.

Regards.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Among pretty definitive starters, these players.

Justin Garces (GK, #1)
    Chris Gloster (LB, #3)
    Chris Durkin (DM or CB, #6)
    Andrew Carleton (LW, #11)
    Josh Sargent (CF, #9)

Also, two players a year younger who will probably come off the bench who I think are pretty good

Taylor Booth (DM/CM, #16)
    Bryan Reynolds (LW/RW/CF, #17)

and then there's George Weah's son who shows some nice flashes, and could be a decent player

Tim Weah (LW/RW/CF, #19)

JRB92 repped this.
  5. manuel84

manuel84 Member+

Oct 16, 2012
    Tatatatamaulipas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    The George Weah from my Milan? WTF? His son is american? I liked that player, he was a monster in europe.

6. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, his son is American and plays for PSG in France.

JRB92 repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, I think George's wife is American, or they both lived in the USA, despite not being citizens. Something like that.

Here's a video about Tim/George:

And here's an article: https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...ngs-to-know-about-tim-weah-son-of-george-weah

He plays similar to his father in style, although pretty likely won't be nearly as good. He's playing in PSG's academy right now, and is doing very well there. He's been a little more underwhelming for the USA where he doesn't even start regularly.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  8. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty cool video

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I also think Roberto De La Rosa is very good from your team. He's the CF for Mexico. He's a Pachuca product, which should come as no surprise. In my opinion, he's the best Mexico central striker I've seen in any of these youth tournaments since the era where you guys were producing Chicharito, Jimenez, etc.

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    These kids can be desperate to get ahead in the one shot they have. Akinola has that desperation in him. Hopefully he can get his gig in Europe and move over to the Canadian Nats and help them in the revival of their national team. I don't see him having the right stuff for the senior team eventually either.

In the meantime, I don't see what the alternative is to Akinola at striker in this age group. He can physically dominate less developed players. He should help the team win in India, imo.

If he cant handle the increased pressure he'll face in India he'll crash out but I think he'll do well and scouts will notice him.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If Ferreira ever becomes eligible, I think he's a better alternative immediately.

Also, I would try out Weah and Reynolds. I think both are pretty good players, better than most bench players we'd usually have.

12. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    If Ferriera becomes eligible hopefully he takes Jones roster spot and then he fights it out with Weah and Akinola to see who starts. Also think we can do better than Villegas and Vassilev in CM. Any '01 options?

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I was trying to think of the best place for Sargent in Europe. The Univision guys were talking about his "direct" game and commenting on his unsuccessful try from the penalty spot. When the ball was lined up for a free kick from the top of the box they suggested somebody "mas tocador" (than Sargent) should take the kick. I think it might have been the free kick Vassilev took for the goal.

b.t.w. :thumbsup::thumbsup: for Univision game calls. As good as anything you'll ever hear anywhere.

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Akinola really wants those goals.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind Sargent in Italy or the Bund and Carleton to France

16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I was thinking the same thing. When did Sargent become our PK and FK taker. Carleton missed his first but has proven over time he is still the best. The first FK Sargent took and powered it right at GK for a semi easy save.
    Let Carleton take on goal FK and Acosta for longer ones. I hate when players fight over who's going to take them.
    Why not like other sports where they practice them and the coach decides who's best and then they take them, instead of who's got more testosterone but who may not be that good at them.

17. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both Carleton and Acosta are pretty legit FK guys....no one should ever take one outside of those two

JRB92 and SUDano repped this.
  18. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Weah to MetroStars

Gorky repped this.
  19. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he says.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is what I said like a week or so ago. Maybe add Reynolds instead of Akinola/Weah/Ferreira (in case he's not eligible).

I think a big part of the solution for this team is giving more playing time to Booth. I think a Durkin-Booth combination as the 6-8 will work well, and if we need extra physicality and athleticism, maybe Goslin instead of Booth or maybe both with Durkin at CB. That will allow a two for one proposition with Ferri/Acosta at the 10, or we could go without a third CM, and play a 4-4-2 instead with Carleton at LW, Sargent as the target forward, and some combination of Ferreira (if eligible), Akinola, Weah, Reynolds, Konrad for RW and the pacey striker that runs off Sargent's hold up play.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, I said this as well.

Carleton is our best free-kick taker, easily, although Acosta, Goslin and Ferri are all not bad. Sargent taking them seemed odd, probably only because of the goals he's scored in this tournament. Carleton has taken penalties all cycle. He shouldn't lose that responsibility because he missed one PK, even though I don't think he's the best on penalties. He's earned that responsibility from his play all cycle.

22. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    You guys are special!

Your true spirit is showing.

Akinola is 'desperate'. Shouldnt all the players on the team be 'desperate' to do well

So you want to send a good looking prospect to Canada at 16. Or is this going along with that nationalistic bullcrap you were talking about previously. He doesnt fit your definition of American?

Of course the guy who calls Akinola a shit will like this type of foul minded bs.

butters59 and jjmack repped this.
  23. didi11

didi11 Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I have seen Acosta taking a penalty, he is very good in terms of technique, run up and composure. I tell you who is the best penalty taker on this team - it is the player almost everybody wants to sit on the bench #8 Ferri. I remember the first time I saw him taking the penalty when he was about 12, another parent commented: "I have been watching Blaine play since Rec soccer, he has never missed any penalty". Well, I have followed him after that, and the steak continues. Hope I don't jinx him!

24. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Ferri is a good ball striker. He manipulates the ball well. The curler that hit the post vs Jamaica is an example. Im happy the coaches dont see what some of the guys on here see.

25. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Ferri is the team's best everything.