PBP: 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup Semifinals: USA vs Costa Rica

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Sebsasour, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Welcome to the real world Acosta

kennytt repped this.
  2. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The US and Mexico are the only countries who can host easily. The US is the only one where pretty much any country can get a lot of fans there.

It makes a certain level of sense. Best of a mediocre situation.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Wonder why only one or two countries need to host anyway, though? No reason you couldn't have one group play in Mex, one in Can, one in US or one in CR (for instance) and do semis and finals in one country (sure, somebody still gets best game but spreads the others around a bit.)

Guinho repped this.
  4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me you're just bullshitting here. Lie if you have to.

sitruc, russ and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lie about what?

Mex and Can are perfectly capable of hosting a GC. Your American exceptionalism has overflowed.

6. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Canada had serious issues finding grass fields for the WWC. Not sure Canada should get another tournament before they figure out how to grow grass

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could put in artificial grass. We played on it yesterday. Century Link does it.

Then you have Mex who's hosted the '86 WC and certainly could host a GC. People will argue money(not you) but in the name of fair competition the hosts should be circulated and/or combined.

Why shouldn't Azteca or Stade Olympique get a GC final?

8. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree, but no tournaments should be played on turf. Too dangerous, too brutal and th ball skips weirdly.

I'm a curmudgeon. But yes, Mexico could do it, but that's tantamount to awarding it to Mexico.

Maybe CR and Panama could? Or spreading groups around. It'd be a good way to build better pitches around the region.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, you're telling me you don't know why the US hosts every Gold Cup? You really don't know why?

C'mon, man, you know why. Just admit it. Nobody can possibly be that stupid as to not know why.

sitruc and russ repped this.
  11. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just one thing...... F the Dempsey haters! :cool:

12. RennieRae

RennieRae New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Parrish, Florida USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm... No we did not. The natural grass was grown in Atlanta specifically for the SF match in Texas. They brought in 30 truckloads of sod to be layed in AT&T stadium. I don't think international soccer should be played on AT... IMHO.

Although I do agree that the GC venues should probably be spread out... especially for group stages as mentioned earlier.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Once I read this post yesterday I was thinking to myself "wouldn't it be funny if Jamaica won though?" :p

The real winner on Sunday was ticket re-sale sites like stubhub and seatgeek. I am sure thousands of Mexicanos are trying to get rid of their tickets on the cheap now.

I am hoping it does not really affect the actual people in the stands though. Like 4 years ago when Soldier Field was still pretty much a full house with people chanting U-S-A!!!!!!!
    :D

14. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zusi or sushi is always popular...haha

MPNumber9 repped this.
  15. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got an easy Gold Cup game now...as Jamaica game is the one for taking...

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I see it like the Costa Rica game.
    Jamaica has done a good job of keeping organized and not allowing too many goals similar to the Ticos.

Jamaica also have a better Keeper than the Ticos have so I do think they can put up a good fight.

That said, I think we will find a way to score as we did in the Semis. We have more depth than they do, we are not as tired as they are, and we have the "Revenge" factor going for us since some of the players on this USA Roster lost to Jamaica in the last Gold Cup. They do not want to have that bad taste in their mouth again.

I think we take it.

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, super easy. Besides the fact that they've beaten us twice in the last 5 years. Details though.

sitruc and jackiesdad repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    In some ways this is a good point.
    That said, they beat us when they had a lot of Euro based players on their squad.

Not saying they can't beat us with an MLS, USL and Jamaican based roster, but I see it less likely.

19. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In last game (Feb 3, 2017), we beat Jamaica 1-0....even though it's a friendly...but considering the advantage playing at home, USA should have the upper hand...We have depth pool like never before...

20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh you sweet summer child.

Here's a hint:
    $

Here are more hints:

$$$$$$$

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Mexico and Canada do not want to host a Gold Cup.
    They just want a piece of the pie which is why Mexico only wanted to host a Group and knockouts in 2003 and Canada only hosted a Group match in 2015.

Let me say it and make this clear. No wants to host this Cup by themselves except the USA.

BostonRed repped this.
  22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Even saying it's about $$$$ understates it. The smaller nations like El Sal or Jamaica know they'll get a more favorable crowd in the US than in Mexico or Canada due to ex-pats. They also are quite happy to make it easy for MLS teams to scout.

Somehow, "I don't know why" has replaced "I disagree, but I'm too lazy to say why." Of course, in most cases when "I don't know why" is used, and most definitely in THIS case, you wouldn't want to be in the position of saying why, because your reasons will be weak and or stupid.

sitruc repped this.
  23. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    They're big, fast, smart, and have a red hot GK. If anything they remind me a little of us 15 or so years ago. We should win, but it won't be a cake walk.

24. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :laugh:
    Yeah, the stadium's gonna be so quiet you could hear a pin drop! :D

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am hoping the stadium will be loud in favor of the USA. Would be nice to see a Pro-USA crowd in a California American Football stadium for a change that is for dang sure.