2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup: Opponents Watch

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jul 7, 2017.

1. phillyfan593

phillyfan593 Member

Jul 20, 2011
    That's fair. We were in a tougher group. I just think it's silly that the guy I am debating with is trying to make a point because the USA went farther then Mexico. Brazil didn't get out of their group. There still a top 5 team in the world.

2. phillyfan593

phillyfan593 Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Exactly. Can you imagine if Mexico or Costa Rica hosted the tournament ever year? Would they have more titles then the USA does now?

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Mexico:
    Copa America
    2011: Last place in Group C
    2015: Last place in Group A
    2016: Blasted 7-0 in the Quarterfinals

Conferations Cup:
    2013: 3rd place in Group A
    2017: Beaten 4-1 by Germany C in the Semis

World Cup:
    2014: beaten in regular time of the Rnd of 16.

4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Italy won plenty of WCs this way.

5. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better to win ugly than lose pretty.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Martinique finishes on 3 points. They need El Salvador to lose by 2 goals to Jamaica, or they will be squeezed out because their fellow département blew off the rules.

7. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    that 2011 team was a U-22, depleted by suspensions, that went on to with the Olympics the following year.

LaMascara, CMeszt, JJV1994 and 1 other person repped this.
  8. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    So have I got this right?

If El Salvador beats Jamaica, we play Jamaica next
    If Jamaica draws or beats El Salvador by one goal, we play El Salvador next
    If Jamaica beats El Salvador by two or more goals, we play Honduras next

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I just don't want to play Honduras. Let someone else suffer the injuries.

Winoman repped this.
  10. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    That someone else would be Mexico (barring them pooping the bed to Curacao), so that's cool.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    El Tri had a good youth generation.

12. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    So El Salvador is going into a match with Jamaica knowing that, barring a miracle victory by at least three goals for Curaçao over Mexico, El Salvador will advance to the quarterfinals as long as Jamaica doesn't win by at least three goals? I predict that that game is going to be ugly. El Salvador will likely be stalling from the opening whistle.

13. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think an 0-2 loss would put El Salvador out. They have 3GS, 3GA. Martinique has 4 GS, 6 GA. If Jamaica beats El S 2-0, then El S and Martinique are both on -2 GD but El S would have fewer GS. Jamaica 3-1 El Salvador would make them and Martinique have to toss a coin.

It's a real screw job that either team has to go out though. Honduras should be gone; they have only 2 earned points. French Guiana's weird decision to play Malouda in one game gifted them an undeserved place in the quarters.

Winoman repped this.
  14. phillyfan593

phillyfan593 Member

Jul 20, 2011
    You post just proved my point with your post. Mexico had the opportunity to play in the confederations cup because they beat USA to get there!!! You can't put down Mexico for the way they played in the confederations cup. It makes USA look even worse for losing to them. The World Cup, they played better than us. Period.

2009 Gold Cup Final Mexico beats USA 5-0

2009 WCQ at Azteca Mexico beats USA 2-1

2011 Gold Cup Final Mexico beats USA 4-2

2015 One game playoff Mexico beats USA 3-2

2016 WCQ at Home Mexico beats USA 2-1

Mexico is better than us. Period. It's the true. They are going through qualifying for the 2018 with ease while we're in a must win home game against Costa Rica September 1st.

15. phillyfan593

phillyfan593 Member

Jul 20, 2011
    I'm sure Concacaf want El Salvador. Don't they have a huge following on the east coast? Last time we played them in Baltimore, the environment looked great from my television.

16. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    El Salvador was game to try to take second and avoid us, but once Jamaica equalized they more or less settled in for the sure point to advance.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    SLV deserved the win IMO. They played a very good game in the first half, had the best chances in the second.

Good thing we're getting Bradley & Howard back. I don't see out current group keeping a clean sheet against them.

18. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Barring something insane in Curacao/Mexico, we are looking at

Costa Rica/Panama
    USA/El Salvador

Mexico/Honduras
    Jamaica/Canada

19. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team needs fitness, they played sloppy the final half hour of each game. Plus very little depth.

20. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Interesting comments from Montagliani on Fox regarding L'Affaire Malouda. He was very conciliatory, and implied that Concacaf French territories are getting screwed by the FFF and FIFA (because clubs don't think they have to release players to them).

I didn't really follow what exactly the issues are, or what Malouda had to do with it, but still interesting.

Winoman repped this.
  21. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico win or a draw in which goals were scored means Mexico wins the group.

A Curacao win, and it could come down to GD, meaning a Mexico vs. US matchup in the quarterfinals is possible, though insanely unlikely.

And if I'm reading this correctly, a scoreless draw for Mexico would result in.....a drawing of lots (unless they take the Curacao vs. Jamaica and Curacao vs. Mexico results into question. If that's the case, then Mexico would finish second)

22. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Drawing lots to determine who plays Canada and who plays Honduras would be the lowest-stakes lot drawing imaginable.

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico is gettin' worked early on.

24. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RIP Drawing of Lots

Ironbound repped this.
  25. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Looks like Lara is doing a good job.

Good that El Salvador didn't steal Roldan and Zavaleta, Alvarez refused to play this tournament as well.

With experienced Zelaya and Bonilla recovering his form, El Salvador looks like they are on the rise.

They could end up being a dark horse.

Suyuntuy repped this.